Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Connecting a external hard drive to two computers?

Last response: in Technologies
February 4, 2011 6:00:08 PM

I have a external Hard drive its pretty new. And i want to connect it to 2 different pc's at the same time will this set up work?

buy this Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-4-Port-Ultra-Mini-F5U407/d...

connect the external HD to it. and connect that belkin hub into my 1st computer. then use an extra usb cable to connect from the belkin port hub to my other pc.

Will it work?
February 9, 2011 7:14:03 PM

That is to expand USB ports using one port, not to share one device among several PCs. You need a USB Switch like this http://www.iogear.com/usb-switch.htm

I do have to add that I have never shared out a drive that way, so can't tell you how well it will work.
Score
July 6, 2012 4:50:09 PM

No, the hub has only one output (usb cabled end), and the other USB female ports are only for inputs. USB devices CAN NOT be shared like that.
You need a pogoplug / or NAS system which u can make your drive a network accable drive, you will be able to access your drive from all the computers / compatible devices which are on the network. And also you can access off the network, from anywhere in the world using web browser, obviously with password protected way!

Or learn about FreeNAS (google it, its free) to make a NAS system on your own using any old computer as your own server.

Or if you want to spend money and avoid the hassel, buy a readymade brand-named NAS hard drive that comes with LAN port.

Good luck!
Score
Related resources

Best solution

July 6, 2012 5:04:11 PM

forgot to add the simplest way:

Connect the external hard drive to either one of the computers. Usually a USB cable connects the drive. Plug the cable into an available USB port on your computer and plug the drive into a power outlet.
Share the drive by going into Windows Explorer and right clicking on the drive. Choose "Properties," then choose the "Sharing" tab. Click the check boxes "Share this folder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files."

Might require reboot to take effect.

:D  cheers
August 6, 2012 12:54:06 PM

No, you can connect only one at a time.
Score
August 11, 2012 1:48:31 PM

Best answer selected by Pyree.
Score
August 11, 2012 1:48:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!