character to character transfer

I've only been playing UO for 4 days. One of my characters has some items
that I would like to give to another of my characters. How is this done.

I thought of leaving the items in a remote place, does this work?

Andrea
13 answers Last reply
More about character character transfer
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:49:54 -0700, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I've only been playing UO for 4 days. One of my characters has some items
    >that I would like to give to another of my characters. How is this done.
    >
    >I thought of leaving the items in a remote place, does this work?

    Sure that will work as long as you don't wait too long before logging in
    with the second character. I'd suggest putting everything into a small
    pouch that you can buy from any provisioner in town. Then you can turn on
    your circle of transparency (you can set up a keyboard macro for this in
    the options) and drop the pouch behind a tree trunk somewhere that you can
    find easily later. Or you can try to do it quickly in a town inn but
    another player might grab it if he see what you're up to.

    Or if you want, one of us newsgroup regulars would be glad to help
    depending on what shard you're on. I'm on Atlantic.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Thanks for the reply. I'll try it with an item of little value before
    transfering a lot of cash.

    Andrea

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:49:54 -0700, "Andrea2"
    > <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've only been playing UO for 4 days. One of my characters has some items
    >>that I would like to give to another of my characters. How is this done.
    >>
    >>I thought of leaving the items in a remote place, does this work?
    >
    > Sure that will work as long as you don't wait too long before logging in
    > with the second character. I'd suggest putting everything into a small
    > pouch that you can buy from any provisioner in town. Then you can turn on
    > your circle of transparency (you can set up a keyboard macro for this in
    > the options) and drop the pouch behind a tree trunk somewhere that you can
    > find easily later. Or you can try to do it quickly in a town inn but
    > another player might grab it if he see what you're up to.
    >
    > Or if you want, one of us newsgroup regulars would be glad to help
    > depending on what shard you're on. I'm on Atlantic.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:49:54 -0700, "Andrea2"
    > <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've only been playing UO for 4 days. One of my characters has some items
    > >that I would like to give to another of my characters. How is this done.
    > >
    > >I thought of leaving the items in a remote place, does this work?
    >
    > Sure that will work as long as you don't wait too long before logging in
    > with the second character. I'd suggest putting everything into a small
    > pouch that you can buy from any provisioner in town. Then you can turn on
    > your circle of transparency (you can set up a keyboard macro for this in
    > the options) and drop the pouch behind a tree trunk somewhere that you can
    > find easily later. Or you can try to do it quickly in a town inn but
    > another player might grab it if he see what you're up to.

    That's basically what I did. Log in the character you want to transfer to,
    get them to the remote spot (or inn room) first then log in the other char.
    Go to the spot, drop your bag where it isn't easily seen then quickly log
    out and back in with the first char and pick it up. Works ok until you can
    get yourself a little dirt plot, then life is SO much easier.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:49:54 -0700, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I've only been playing UO for 4 days. One of my characters has some items
    >that I would like to give to another of my characters. How is this done.
    >
    >I thought of leaving the items in a remote place, does this work?
    >
    >Andrea

    I do this all the time on Atlantic, where I don't have a house.
    It's really quite easy, but timing is important. The longer your
    goods sit on the ground, the greater the chance they will be
    scooped up by someone. As you've already noticed, if it's on the
    ground, it's fair game.

    Also, be mindful of decay, if your stuff sits for too long, it
    will eventually vanish. While garbage takes days to disappear,
    something you value could be gone in seconds.

    Don't forget the STR difference between chars. Keep the pack
    light enough that you can carry it. Commodity deeds are your
    friend.

    As suggested, you can stash your goodies behind a tree, log
    chars, and run to grab yer stuff. Not my favorite method though.
    I prefer to transfer at a remote inn, where I can simply leave a
    pouch (smallest container) on the floor. Haven is, of course, a
    bad choice, Gargoyle City is the best.

    Take your receiving char to a room in an inn and log it out.
    Have the delivering char take the items, preferably in a pouch,
    to the same room. Using circle of Transparency, found in
    options, you can place the pouch on the floor where it is hidden
    by walls.

    Log out, log in, easy peasy.

    There are public containers that you can place items in. This
    has the benefit that your goods are not visible to a passerby,
    for the few seconds that it takes to change chars/accounts. Try
    one of the towers in Luna.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Jaeger Prelac" wrote:

    > There are public containers that you can place items in. This
    > has the benefit that your goods are not visible to a passerby,
    > for the few seconds that it takes to change chars/accounts. Try
    > one of the towers in Luna.

    I used to use the barrels in the back room of the mill in Yew back before I
    got my house.
    There are a load of obscure containers in places people rarely go, I just
    suggest looking a while for one.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "The Unbound" <non@valid.email> wrote in message

    > I used to use the barrels in the back room of the mill in Yew back before
    > got my house.

    I used to use the backroom of the provisioners in Haven while noone was
    around... Plenty of crates...

    Shaun.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. I did the transfer, it
    went fine. I did find that after I logged out, I couldn't log in as the
    other character for 5 minutes. I kept getting a message that another
    character was logged on. I can't understand this, since I had logged out the
    first character. It took 5 minutes to time out before I could log in again
    with another character.

    Andrea

    "Shaun Lucas" <huffy.bear@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > "The Unbound" <non@valid.email> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I used to use the barrels in the back room of the mill in Yew back before
    >> got my house.
    >
    > I used to use the backroom of the provisioners in Haven while noone was
    > around... Plenty of crates...
    >
    > Shaun.

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. I did the transfer,
    it
    > went fine. I did find that after I logged out, I couldn't log in as the
    > other character for 5 minutes. I kept getting a message that another
    > character was logged on. I can't understand this, since I had logged out
    the
    > first character. It took 5 minutes to time out before I could log in again
    > with another character.
    >
    > Andrea

    That's the way its been since the beginning. (Or at least when I started
    playing in '98)
    Your problem here is that you did not "insta-log", i.e. your character
    logging off the server as you log off the client. You only Insta-log if you
    are in a home that you either own or are friended to, OR if you are in an
    inn, OR you use camping (Fire/bedroll, assuming that's still in the game. I
    haven't used those skills since '99... Mostly due to griefers that used the
    camping skills to screw people... ) If you do not insta-log then your char
    stands around until it times out, which is as you noticed 5 minutes. Just as
    a friendly warning THIS CAN GET YOU KILLED! As a matter of fact I was
    showing off my nice cozy (Virtual) home to a RL friend and logged out NEXT
    to my house instead of IN my house. Logged in a few hours later after he had
    left..... OooooOoooooOoOoOoOOOOOOOO!!! It was my crafter :( Alminair the
    Guildmaster, just standing around waiting to get whacked.... Lord that was
    dumb! *Bangs head on wall* When you can get scrolls/magic use mark to set to
    a hiding spot and an inn, then recall to the hiding spot, drop the bag,
    recall to the inn, logout, login, recall to hiding spot, get bag. Obviously
    you have to use magic or scrolls for this but it was how I did things until
    I got a house... ( after 5 years )

    Hope that's not too long :P
    Hope it helps!

    Alminair, GM Miner/Smith
    Guildmaster, The Brotherhood of AL (TBA)
    Aspiring Tailor (One of these *&%%$###$% days!)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:48:28 -0700, "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply. I'll try it with an item of little value before
    >transfering a lot of cash.
    >
    >Andrea

    I have one character on almost every shard. Most are newbie's, but if
    you need someone to hold something for you let me know. I think most
    of my characters are in Skara or Britain. Glad to help.

    Ice
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:41:25 -0700, "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information. I did the transfer, it
    >went fine. I did find that after I logged out, I couldn't log in as the
    >other character for 5 minutes. I kept getting a message that another
    >character was logged on. I can't understand this, since I had logged out the
    >first character. It took 5 minutes to time out before I could log in again
    >with another character.
    >
    >Andrea

    You have to log out in a tavern, or Inn to instant log.

    Next time, try using the Inn in Trinsic near the back gate where no one
    ever goes, or the second floor of the Inn in the "old" part of East Britain.

    Ice
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    If you've been targeted by a monster or have just targeted a monster
    yourself, it will be a five minute wait even if you log out at home.

    Why I moved the last time. Corpsers spawned by the house so I'd wind up
    putting a character's banged up armor in a chest, wait 5 minutes to bring in
    my craftsman to fix it, then wait 5 more minutes to get the first character
    logged back in to get him armored back up and go play him some more. Very
    annoying. Where I'm at now rarely has that happen. <g>
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Baydlor" <Baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you've been targeted by a monster or have just targeted a monster
    > yourself, it will be a five minute wait even if you log out at home.
    >
    > Why I moved the last time. Corpsers spawned by the house so I'd wind up
    > putting a character's banged up armor in a chest, wait 5 minutes to bring
    in
    > my craftsman to fix it, then wait 5 more minutes to get the first
    character
    > logged back in to get him armored back up and go play him some more. Very
    > annoying. Where I'm at now rarely has that happen. <g>

    I'd forgotten about the combat timer, BUT it is only 60 seconds unless they
    recently changed it. (i.e., wait in-game for 60 seconds after a fight and
    you can instalog... If you log off before the 60sec timer ends you do the
    full 5min timeout.) I also think the timer resets if you log out and then
    back in. Either that or it doesn't count unless you are logged in. One of
    the 2. Hope that helps speed life up a bit for you. BTW, your crafter
    shouldn't have had that issue unless you 'fight back' the combat timer does
    not set.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:34:41 GMT, "Baydlor" <Baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >If you've been targeted by a monster or have just targeted a monster
    >yourself, it will be a five minute wait even if you log out at home.
    >
    >Why I moved the last time. Corpsers spawned by the house so I'd wind up
    >putting a character's banged up armor in a chest, wait 5 minutes to bring in
    >my craftsman to fix it, then wait 5 more minutes to get the first character
    >logged back in to get him armored back up and go play him some more. Very
    >annoying. Where I'm at now rarely has that happen. <g>

    They fixed that about 5 patches ago. You Insta-log in your own house, or
    house your friended to. May not be the same for "public houses", like the
    taverns or inns.

    This timer was originally done because of the PvP'ers. (1)Thief steels your
    best sword from your pack, runs to the Inn and logs out. You have little
    recourse to start with, but no recourse if he can do that. (2)Your are in a
    losing battle, just log out and your safe. The PK's complained so our
    "friendly programmers", could not allow the "sheep" to get away that easy.

    Ice

Computers Games Video Games