Crack, Pop, Help!

default_user

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
Greetings,

I'm experiencing an audio-related annoyance, although this being the 'Sound Cards' forum, i truly have no idea if my problem is actually related to my sound card. So if this doesn't belong on this particular forum, please move it to where it does.

I'm hoping you guys could help identify, and possibly offer a solution regarding the following; when playing back mp3-files, seemingly sporadic glitches occur, which can only be defined as cracks and pops. However, it doesn't occur in games, videoclips and whatever other type of media, just the mp3's. It also doesn't seem to lie within the actual mp3 files, which play smoothly on my mp3-player. In addition to that i've tried a multitude of software players instead of Winamp, but to no avail.

Having excluded nearly every possible cause (at least to my knowledge), i'm guessing that it has to be codec-related, but this is obviously just a wild guess.

I'm using my mobo's (Asus P4C800 Deluxe) onboard sound, "SoundMax ADI AD1985", if that makes any sense. I realize it isn't exactly high-end, but as stated above, i'm specifically experiencing the problem with one type of playback, the rest is functioning absolutely fine.

Note that i'm no audiophile, but this is just simply annoying the [-peep-] out of me, and the fact that i can't seem to find a concrete solution or at least identification of the cause only adds up to the agitation.

In any case, any (related) feedback would be greatly appreciated.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
did you update your drivers?

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

default_user

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
Yes, i have. Very rarely do i neglect to upgrade any sort of driver.

Furthermore, i now have depleted about every possible source of information regarding this problem, including having browsed this board to the very last post (yes, i'm that desperate). And have only come to the conclusion that there's little option left besides just taking the gamble and buying a new soundcard. Which in itself isn't that bad, but it's no guarantee that it will actually fix anything.

Besides that i have also made the conclusion that Asus support is downright terrible and amateurish. Besides their database on this, or any sort of issue for that matter being completely lacking, they also neglect to reply to any email.

In either case, thanks for the, albeit limited, response.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Have you tried a format? Its worth a shot before buying something.

If you do get a soundcard, depending on your speaker quality I'd recommend either a Hercules Fortissimo 3 (mid-low end) or M-Audio Revolution (highend). I'm using my onboard right now either because my audigy locks up my system but I'm probably going to go with the Fortissimo and wait for the PCIX version of the Soundstorm.

I havent had much luck with Asus stuff either in the past.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What player are you using, out of curiosity? What different players have you tried? Do these glitches occur at the same point all the time? Try minimizing background tasks as well, they can cause problems, and make sure visualizations are turned off.

You can try updating your MP3 codec as well, it may be corrupted. I'll look for a link and post it for you.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--