Help. My desktop disappeared

Hi,
My desktop is completely messed up. When I start up my computer, it briefly
show the wallpaper, but after that, a white screen appears. When
right-clicking the mouse, it won't show properties either. (Icons and
shortcuts do work though). Does anyone know how to restore this?
Many thanks!

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rianne" wrote:

| Hi,
| My desktop is completely messed up. When I start up my computer, it briefly
| show the wallpaper, but after that, a white screen appears. When
| right-clicking the mouse, it won't show properties either. (Icons and
| shortcuts do work though). Does anyone know how to restore this?
| Many thanks!

Thanks Carey,
But doesn't this restore my complete system? I just want to get rid of the
white screen to be able to see the wallpaper that seems to be hidden.
Thanks again :)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Rianne" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> | My desktop is completely messed up. When I start up my computer, it briefly
> | show the wallpaper, but after that, a white screen appears. When
> | right-clicking the mouse, it won't show properties either. (Icons and
> | shortcuts do work though). Does anyone know how to restore this?
> | Many thanks!

The system restore suggested here will only get back the system to a date in
which it was working fine. So the only things installed after this date will
be removed.

No user files will be affected.

Another approach, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del when the white screen appears, End
programs that appears under Applications tab to see if it helps.

Another way to run system restore other than from the MS-DOS mode, in the
Task manager window when you hit Ctrl + Alt + Del, click File | Run.

Type %systemroot%/system32/restore/rstrui.exe and press Ok.

If system restore window shows up with dates, select one to restore. If not,
follow the appoarch suggested by Carey.

--
Jonybrv

"Rianne" wrote:

> Thanks Carey,
> But doesn't this restore my complete system? I just want to get rid of the
> white screen to be able to see the wallpaper that seems to be hidden.
> Thanks again :)
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Rianne" wrote:
> >
> > | Hi,
> > | My desktop is completely messed up. When I start up my computer, it briefly
> > | show the wallpaper, but after that, a white screen appears. When
> > | right-clicking the mouse, it won't show properties either. (Icons and
> > | shortcuts do work though). Does anyone know how to restore this?
> > | Many thanks!

System Restore is NOT like GoBack. It does not monitor and copy your entire drive. Your
data files, docs, email, etc, will be untouched by a System Restore. Only Windows XP
operating system files and settings are restored. The only caveat is that you should use
a Restore Point as close to but PRIOR to when the problem started. Why? Any software,
updates, and drivers installed after the Restore Point that you use will probably have to
be reinstalled, because the prior Windows Registry from the Restore Point that you use
will not have the keys and strings for them. That is one reason why it is best to use
System Restore as soon as a problem arises that cannot be dealt with unless you use System
Restore, and that is why you should use a Restore Point as close to but PRIOR to when the
problem began. Again, to answer your question, your "complete system" will NOT be
restored, just some of the Windows XP operating system files, the registry (configuration
settings etc.) If you are unhappy with the results of a System Restore, there is an
option to UNDO MY LAST RESTORATION.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Rianne" <Rianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Carey,
> But doesn't this restore my complete system? I just want to get rid of the
> white screen to be able to see the wallpaper that seems to be hidden.
> Thanks again :)
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

---

> > "Rianne" wrote:
> >
> > | Hi,
> > | My desktop is completely messed up. When I start up my computer, it briefly
> > | show the wallpaper, but after that, a white screen appears. When
> > | right-clicking the mouse, it won't show properties either. (Icons and
> > | shortcuts do work though). Does anyone know how to restore this?
> > | Many thanks!

kelly

Hi Rianne,

What type of background do you have set? Have you tried using a different
one via the Control Panel to test? Either way.......

Go to Start/Control Panel/Display. Once there, click on Desktop/Customize
Desktop and uncheck anything there listed as Security, etc. Also make sure
that you haven't made any changes to the Accessibility Wizard that is
Desktop related. If so, revert them.

If no change from the above, run the edits on line 142 (right hand side) and
164:

Good luck and keep us posted.

--

All the Best,