Recycling Palm III/V LCD panel??

August 2, 2004 9:35:26 PM

(Not sure if here is the most appropriate channel. Some electronics
guy suggested me to come to here...)

I have access to a S3C440B ARM7 evaluation board. It has a LCD
controller interface, which supports color/gray/mono LCD panel of
160x160 to 640x480 pixels in 4bit dual/ 4bit single/ 8bit single scan
modes.

I am planning to add a LCD panel to it.... However, I don't want to
spend an extra $100 for the module.... I am thinking about getting a
LCD from a broken Palm.... Something that I may be able to get for a
few bucks online.... Does anyone know the model number / have
datasheet for the screen? is it difficult to do (e.g. propriatary
protocol, difficult connector)? btw, I think broken PalmIII or V will
be the easiest to get. so the info about them will be the most useful.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 6:40:06 AM

"Ozone Hole near South Pole" <ozonehole2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> (Not sure if here is the most appropriate channel. Some electronics
> guy suggested me to come to here...)
>
> I have access to a S3C440B ARM7 evaluation board. It has a LCD
> controller interface, which supports color/gray/mono LCD panel of
> 160x160 to 640x480 pixels in 4bit dual/ 4bit single/ 8bit single scan
> modes.
>
> I am planning to add a LCD panel to it.... However, I don't want to
> spend an extra $100 for the module.... I am thinking about getting a
> LCD from a broken Palm.... Something that I may be able to get for a
> few bucks online.... Does anyone know the model number / have
> datasheet for the screen? is it difficult to do (e.g. propriatary
> protocol, difficult connector)? btw, I think broken PalmIII or V will
> be the easiest to get. so the info about them will be the most useful.

You can find screens for many PDA units at gethightech -
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

The Palm screens you've mentioned here would cost $25 and $35 respectively.

You're right that finding a broken unit with a good screen would be
cheaper - try ebay. As for the spec's - I don't have them, but you should
be able to get them from the developer's program at www.palmone.com

Hope this is a good start.
!