Fix corrupted files?

I had some files archived onto a CD-R. I tried to open an Excel file but got
only garble. Some other files on the disc could not open correctly. Seems
they're corrupted. Is there a way to fix these files?
The disc surface looks very clean. Can't see any scratches or anything.

Would anyone recommend the safest way to archive whether by optical disc,
tapes, HD, etc...?

Thank you

Do you have Microsoft Office or Microsoft Excel installed?
You need to if you wish to open Office files.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"tiki2k" wrote:

| I had some files archived onto a CD-R. I tried to open an Excel file but got
| only garble. Some other files on the disc could not open correctly. Seems
| they're corrupted. Is there a way to fix these files?
| The disc surface looks very clean. Can't see any scratches or anything.
|
| Would anyone recommend the safest way to archive whether by optical disc,
| tapes, HD, etc...?
|
| Thank you

I have Office 2000 installed. But upon opening, it didn't ask for the
Microsoft Office Disc. It just opens up garble in Excel.

Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have Microsoft Office or Microsoft Excel installed?
> You need to if you wish to open Office files.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "tiki2k" wrote:
>
> | I had some files archived onto a CD-R. I tried to open an Excel file but
got
> | only garble. Some other files on the disc could not open correctly.
Seems
> | they're corrupted. Is there a way to fix these files?
> | The disc surface looks very clean. Can't see any scratches or anything.
> |
> | Would anyone recommend the safest way to archive whether by optical
disc,
> | tapes, HD, etc...?
> |
> | Thank you

dl

Personally I archive to another hd, or I've used a tape backup sys.
I'm wary of using cd's, if I do so I use backup software to do so, not any
proprietary burning app. eg Nero/InCD etc

"tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
> I had some files archived onto a CD-R. I tried to open an Excel file but
got
> only garble. Some other files on the disc could not open correctly. Seems
> they're corrupted. Is there a way to fix these files?
> The disc surface looks very clean. Can't see any scratches or anything.
>
> Would anyone recommend the safest way to archive whether by optical disc,
> tapes, HD, etc...?
>
> Thank you

I always thought CDs would last longer and less prone to corruptions if
stored properly b/c they're burned in and not sensitive to
magnetic/electrical fields.

DL wrote:

> Personally I archive to another hd, or I've used a tape backup sys.
> I'm wary of using cd's, if I do so I use backup software to do so, not any
> proprietary burning app. eg Nero/InCD etc

Nero is not a proprietary burning app. In fact, it's pure basic. And,
burning backup
files directly to cd-r is WAY more reliable than ANY tape or backup
ware.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

dl

Theoretically yes,
The trouble is often caused by differing versions of Burning software, which
is why I use generic backup software (Not ntbackup)

> I always thought CDs would last longer and less prone to corruptions if
> stored properly b/c they're burned in and not sensitive to
> magnetic/electrical fields.
>
> DL <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > Personally I archive to another hd, or I've used a tape backup sys.
> > I'm wary of using cd's, if I do so I use backup software to do so, not
any
> > proprietary burning app. eg Nero/InCD etc
> >
> > "tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
> > > I had some files archived onto a CD-R. I tried to open an Excel file
but
> > got
> > > only garble. Some other files on the disc could not open correctly.
> Seems
> > > they're corrupted. Is there a way to fix these files?
> > > The disc surface looks very clean. Can't see any scratches or
anything.

> > > Would anyone recommend the safest way to archive whether by optical
> disc,
> > > tapes, HD, etc...?
> > >
> > > Thank you

Which do you use? Would you recommend one?

> Theoretically yes,
> The trouble is often caused by differing versions of Burning software,
which
> is why I use generic backup software (Not ntbackup)
>
> "tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
> > I always thought CDs would last longer and less prone to corruptions if
> > stored properly b/c they're burned in and not sensitive to
> > magnetic/electrical fields.
> >
> > DL <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > > Personally I archive to another hd, or I've used a tape backup sys.
> > > I'm wary of using cd's, if I do so I use backup software to do so, not
> any
> > > proprietary burning app. eg Nero/InCD etc
> > >
> > > "tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
> but
> > > got
> > Seems
> anything.

> > disc,

dl

I've used handybackup,
Recommend? well its worked for me, but there are many others
I've also used Genie Soft