My spell book is empty

I bought a spell book, but it don't have any spells in it. I've read that I
can add spells to the spell book by dragging a spell scroll to the book.
Where do I get spell scrolls?

I want to use the recall runes, I've gotten lost many times. It says to drop
the rune and use the mark spell to set the location. Then is the rune in my
backpack? I've heard of rune books, where do I get those?

Andrea

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a spell book, but it don't have any spells in it. I've read that
> can add spells to the spell book by dragging a spell scroll to the book.
> Where do I get spell scrolls?
>
> I want to use the recall runes, I've gotten lost many times. It says to
drop
> the rune and use the mark spell to set the location. Then is the rune in
my
> backpack? I've heard of rune books, where do I get those?
>
> Andrea

The issue of runes/recall/mark has been covered so I'll skip those comments
:p
As for getting lost, go look at http://www.uoam.net/ Thais is a map tool
that can keep track of where you are, and once you pick up some friends to
play with you can use it to coordinate with your friends. Very recommended!
It is also UO Pro approved so it is OKed by the makers of UO (i.e. you won't
get banned for using it.) Another UO Pro program is UO Assist. Check it out.
UOAM is free, UO Assist is $15 to register. UO Assist is debatable depending
on who ya talk to but UOAM is ESSENTIAL as far as I am concerned.
Last note, if'n you let us know which shard you are playing on, I'd be
willing to bet that at least one person on this group would give you a hand,
some runes, and show you some fun spots to play.

Hope that helps!

Alminair

Thanks Polycromic and Alminair for the information and tips. I'll check into
UOAM.

I'm on the Baja shard. I met a friend today who gave me a completed spell
book and 2 rune books. I'll be playing with those for a while, now my only
problem is how to recharge the rune books. They have 6 charges. I haven't
seen any recall scrolls for sale yet. I'll have to start checking venders,
I've only shopped at NPC venders.

Andrea

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I bought a spell book, but it don't have any spells in it. I've read that I
>can add spells to the spell book by dragging a spell scroll to the book.
>Where do I get spell scrolls?
>
> I want to use the recall runes, I've gotten lost many times. It says to
> drop the rune and use the mark spell to set the location. Then is the rune
> in my backpack? I've heard of rune books, where do I get those?
>
> Andrea

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:32:44 -0700, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I bought a spell book, but it don't have any spells in it. I've read that I
>can add spells to the spell book by dragging a spell scroll to the book.
>Where do I get spell scrolls?

I think most players just buy spellbooks that are already filled from
other player's vendors instead of blank spellbooks from the NPC mages.
I'm not sure what the going price is - 6400 gp maybe? Anyhow that's what
you could do if you have the gold.

Otherwise you can either buy scrolls from the NPC mages (and alchemists?)
in town and drop them onto your book to fill it one by one. Or you can
collect scrolls from the bodies of monsters you (or someone else) defeats.
Lichs and Demons are two kinds that drop a lot scrolls. Usually if it
casts magic at you it will drop a scroll I think. Not reapers though.
This is what we did when the game was new and there were no full
spellbooks for sale yet.

>I want to use the recall runes, I've gotten lost many times. It says to drop
>the rune and use the mark spell to set the location. Then is the rune in my
>backpack? I've heard of rune books, where do I get those?

You must have at least 60 magery to cast Mark outright or 40 magery if you
use a Mark scroll. You cast Mark either way and then target a rune in
your pack. You can either use a blank rune or a rune that has already
been marked. Either way it will now be linked to the spot where you are
standing. If you double-click on the newly marked rune, you can type in a
descriptive name. Keep it short so it will display nicely in your rune
book.

Once you have a marked rune you want to keep, you can drop it onto a
closed runebook (if there is room) to store it. Keep both rune and spell
books in the main pack and they will be "blessed". In other words, if you
die, they will resurrect with you instead of staying on your corpse. If
you drop some recall scrolls onto your rune book it will become charged so
you can cast recall using the blue gems on the first page even if you run
out of reagents or just get tired of fizzing (miscasting). You can
usually find both empty and variously filled rune books for sale on player
house vendors.

Did you ever say which shard you were on? I don't have a scribe character
(who can make such books) but I have various rune books that I'd be glad
to give you if you wanted.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Andrea2 wrote:

> Thanks Polycromic and Alminair for the information and tips. I'll check into
> UOAM.
>
> I'm on the Baja shard. I met a friend today who gave me a completed spell
> book and 2 rune books. I'll be playing with those for a while, now my only
> problem is how to recharge the rune books. They have 6 charges. I haven't
> seen any recall scrolls for sale yet. I'll have to start checking venders,
> I've only shopped at NPC venders.

You picked a good shard if you want to eventually place a house.

On Baja go to the magic shop on Northern most tip of Moonglow,
Encyclopedia Magika, and talk to "Jolene The Mage."

OSI always puts at least one NPC vendor in the game that sells level 1-4
scrolls. It is always in a different shop on different shards.

It's really a good investment to buy a couple of Mark scrolls from
another player too so you can mark your own runes.

Thanks Rick, I found Jolene The Mage and bought a lot of scrolls. Do you
know of a player vender that sells the Mark scrolls?

Now what I need is a lot of practice and training. On with the adventure....

Andrea

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> You picked a good shard if you want to eventually place a house.
>
> On Baja go to the magic shop on Northern most tip of Moonglow,
> Encyclopedia Magika, and talk to "Jolene The Mage."
>
> OSI always puts at least one NPC vendor in the game that sells level 1-4
> scrolls. It is always in a different shop on different shards.
>
> It's really a good investment to buy a couple of Mark scrolls from another
> player too so you can mark your own runes.

archeon

"Alminair" <Alminair@hotmail.com> wrote in message

UO Assist is debatable depending
> on who ya talk to but UOAM is ESSENTIAL as far as I am concerned.

I wouldn't have stayed for longer than a couple of months without UO assist.
Truth is IMO that a lot of the features should be incorporated in the
client, really.

Archeon

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:14:24 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
wrote:

>"Alminair" <Alminair@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> UO Assist is debatable depending
>> on who ya talk to but UOAM is ESSENTIAL as far as I am concerned.
>
>I wouldn't have stayed for longer than a couple of months without UO assist.
>Truth is IMO that a lot of the features should be incorporated in the
>client, really.

I agree. I stayed away from it until it became approved, but I wish I had
tried it earlier.

--

Andrea2 wrote:
> Thanks Rick, I found Jolene The Mage and bought a lot of scrolls. Do you
> know of a player vender that sells the Mark scrolls?

Go all the way to the south east corner of Moonglow. Just north of the
magic shop there, Sorcerer's Guild, is a two story villa. House sign
says "The Green Nymph Tavern". There is a red bag on the porch that I
dump stuff in for anyone who wants it. I stuck a few Mark scrolls in
there and you can have them if you get there first.

There's a unicorn on the steps. It will probably make it a little easier
to find the place.

Thanks Rick, I found your place easiely. I took all the scrolls that were in
the bag, was it ok to take them all?

Andrea2 wrote:
> Thanks Rick, I found your place easiely. I took all the scrolls that were in
> the bag, was it ok to take them all?

Yeap. I have a lot of developed characters on Baja so if I spend any
time there I end up having to dropping a lot of excess junk. Not to many
beginners in the game so for example only about 20 bow repair deeds have
been taken in the last two years.

I haven't learned anything about deeds yet. Not sure what they are, what to
do with them or how to use them.

> Andrea2 wrote:
>> Thanks Rick, I found your place easiely. I took all the scrolls that were
>> in the bag, was it ok to take them all?
>
> Yeap. I have a lot of developed characters on Baja so if I spend any time
> there I end up having to dropping a lot of excess junk. Not to many
> beginners in the game so for example only about 20 bow repair deeds have
> been taken in the last two years.

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

> I haven't learned anything about deeds yet. Not sure what they are, what
> do with them or how to use them.
>
> Andrea

Take the deed and what you want to repair to the appropriate NPC shop
(Bowyer, Tinker, Carpenter, Tailor or Blacksmith). With the deed and the
item in your backpack, double-click the deed and then when the targeting
cursor comes up, click on the item. You might lose a point of durability
depending on how damaged the item was. Not sure if there is really a
difference between GM, Elder or Legendary repair deeds.