oultook express attachments

need some assistance. Outlook express is "stripping" large file
attachments on incoming e mails. (eg 80 page win doc.) but does let in
some files with jpg
file names.

would appreciate advice on how to correct these occurences.

thanks
Mel

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-oultook-express-attachments-ftopict541708.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1706693
2 answers Last reply
More about oultook express attachments

    In
    palala <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> typed:

    > need some assistance. Outlook express is "stripping" large
    > file
    > attachments on incoming e mails. (eg 80 page win doc.) but does
    > let in
    > some files with jpg
    > file names.
    >
    > would appreciate advice on how to correct these occurences.

    Starting with SP1, Outlook Express does this by default, for any
    file type which *can* contain a virus A .doc file can contain a
    macro virus). It's not a virus checker, doesn't actually check
    the attachments, and this doesn't mean that there actually is a
    virus there.

    Such attachments *are* very risky. You often see advice not to
    open attachments from people you don't know. I think that that's
    one of the most dangerous pieces of advice you see around,
    because it implies that it's safe to do the opposite--open
    attachments from friends and relatives. But many viruses spread
    by sending themselves to everyone in the infected party's address
    book, so attachments received from friends are perhaps the *most*
    risky to open.

    Personally I think what Outlook Express does is good; I never
    open executable attachments at all, except from a *very* few
    trusted sources, and then only when I'm expecting them. But if
    you want to remove this safeguard, it's easy to do so: go to
    Tools | Options, and on the security tab, uncheck "Do not allow
    attachments..."

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    palala wrote:
    > need some assistance. Outlook express is "stripping" large file
    > attachments on incoming e mails. (eg 80 page win doc.) but does let in
    > some files with jpg
    > file names.
    >
    > would appreciate advice on how to correct these occurences.
    >
    > thanks
    > Mel

Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP