Downgrade install: Server 2003 to XP Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want to
use the old machine for other purposes.

Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot, just
XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new machine.

And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....

Thanks much,

Jane Hawkins
jhawk@oz.net
4 answers Last reply
More about downgrade install server 2003
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    No. You cannot downgrade from a server OS to WinXP. You'll have to do a
    complete reinstall.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    Unfortunately the answer is as you suspect.
    There is no downgrade path from Windows Server 2003 to Windows XP.
    Back-up all important data and perform a Clean Installation of Windows XP.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Jane Hawkins" <jhawk@oz.no.net> wrote in message
    > I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want to
    > use the old machine for other purposes.
    >
    > Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
    > without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot,
    > just
    > XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new
    > machine.
    >
    > And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
    > re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > Jane Hawkins
    > jhawk@oz.net
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    Sorry,you can't do a 'downgrade install from Windows 2003 to XP PRO'.You
    have to perform a clean installation.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Jane Hawkins wrote:

    > I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want to
    > use the old machine for other purposes.
    >
    > Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
    > without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot, just
    > XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new machine.
    >
    > And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
    > re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > Jane Hawkins
    > jhawk@oz.net

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    Thanks much for telling me what I didn't want to hear. ;-S

    Time to bite the bullet and do it to it!

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry,you can't do a 'downgrade install from Windows 2003 to XP PRO'.You
    > have to perform a clean installation.
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Jane Hawkins wrote:
    >
    > > I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want
    > > use the old machine for other purposes.
    > >
    > > Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
    > > without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot,
    just
    > > XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new
    machine.

    > > And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
    > > re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....
    > >
    > > Thanks much,
    > >
    > > Jane Hawkins
    > > jhawk@oz.net

Downgrade Windows XP Microsoft Servers