Downgrade install: Server 2003 to XP Pro

June 6, 2005 3:43:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want to
use the old machine for other purposes.

Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot, just
XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new machine.

And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....

Thanks much,

Jane Hawkins
jhawk@oz.net
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:48:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

No. You cannot downgrade from a server OS to WinXP. You'll have to do a
complete reinstall.

Matt Gibson - GSEC
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:54:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Unfortunately the answer is as you suspect.
There is no downgrade path from Windows Server 2003 to Windows XP.
Back-up all important data and perform a Clean Installation of Windows XP.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jane Hawkins" <jhawk@oz.no.net> wrote in message
> I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want to
> use the old machine for other purposes.
>
> Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
> without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot,
> just
> XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new
> machine.
>
> And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
> re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Jane Hawkins
> jhawk@oz.net
June 7, 2005 11:20:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Sorry,you can't do a 'downgrade install from Windows 2003 to XP PRO'.You
have to perform a clean installation.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Jane Hawkins wrote:

> I'm planning to buy a new machine to replace my current server and want to
> use the old machine for other purposes.
>
> Is there any way I can install XP pro "over" the current Server 2003 OS
> without losing all other program installs? I'm not talking dual boot, just
> XP. I only have one legal copy of 2003 so it has to go on the new machine.
>
> And, yeah, I know the answer is probably, "Are you nuts?!" ;-S But
> re-installing all the stuff will be such a pain that I have to ask....
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Jane Hawkins
> jhawk@oz.net

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Thanks much for telling me what I didn't want to hear. ;-S

Time to bite the bullet and do it to it!

news:o 3F8DNwaFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!