Format and Reinstall

I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.
Don't know how many users before me or what they may have done. No CD's
accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and programs open
and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc. haven't helped. I
want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is given on a
Windows XP sticker on the laptop.

Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned this laptop?
If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will be the second
install?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about format reinstall

    The Windows XP Product Key affixed to your laptop will
    only work with a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.
    You'll have to contact Dell and order a replacement since
    you cannot use a different Windows XP CD.

    Welcome to Dell Support
    http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

    Once you receive your Dell Reinstallation CD, perform
    a "clean install".

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "SteveD" wrote:

    | I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.
    | Don't know how many users before me or what they may have done. No CD's
    | accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and programs open
    | and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc. haven't helped. I
    | want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is given on a
    | Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
    |
    | Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned this laptop?
    | If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will be the second
    | install?
    |
    | Thanks

    Laptops, unlike desktop systems, come with much proprietary hardware. Along with the Dell
    OEM Windows XP CD for that model laptop, you will probably also need the Dell CD for
    Drivers and Utilities (more for the drivers for the proprietary hardware than the
    utilities) that was shipped with that model laptop. So, if as advised, you contact Dell
    for the replacement Dell OEM Windows XP CD for that laptop, ask for the Drivers and
    Utilities CD as well.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    > The Windows XP Product Key affixed to your laptop will
    > only work with a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.
    > You'll have to contact Dell and order a replacement since
    > you cannot use a different Windows XP CD.
    >
    > Welcome to Dell Support
    > http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
    >
    > Once you receive your Dell Reinstallation CD, perform
    > a "clean install".
    >
    > Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    ---

    > "SteveD" wrote:
    >
    > | I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.
    > | Don't know how many users before me or what they may have done. No CD's
    > | accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and programs open
    > | and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc. haven't helped. I
    > | want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is given on a
    > | Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
    > |
    > | Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned this laptop?
    > | If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will be the second
    > | install?
    > |
    > | Thanks

    buy your own copy of windows xp. format and clean install with it, you'll be
    better off with a full version. visit www.dell.com for updated drivers for
    your particular machine while you can still get online, best to do it all and
    have it ready before formatting. install the drivers once you format and
    install xp. ta da.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVE?= wrote:

    > I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.

    In any case you may still need to contact dell for the disks as laptop
    XP installs seem to be quite proprietary. Of course, you can try to
    install with your own xP cd and then see if you can find the drivers to
    make everything work.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    "SteveD" wrote:
    > I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who
    > knows where.
    > Don't know how many users before me or what they may have
    > done. No CD's
    > accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and
    > programs open
    > and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc.
    > haven't helped. I
    > want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is
    > given on a
    > Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
    >
    > Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned
    > this laptop?
    > If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will
    > be the second
    > install?
    >
    > Thanks

    All of the other replies here are correct but I just thought that I
    would post a simple to the point answer.

    No you cannot use a different CD - they are connected with the key - I
    have personally run into the problem. Who cares that I have the keys
    I only had the one CD at the time. So while you should listen to
    everyone else - have fun dealing the the people on the phone when you
    want to use a key with a different disc.

    Locke

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Format-Reinstall-ftopict543029.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1713026

    http://www.usenet.com

    Thanks to all repliers. Just got off the telephone with Dell. Was on the
    phone for over an hour, transfered five times, and I finally gave up and hung
    up. What I got for all this was, Dell won't replace/sell restore CDs. When
    I hung up, I was on hold (routed back to the first division I called) for a
    tech who was suppose to try and walk me through a solution which I am certain
    would have ended with them wanting me to send this laptop in. Cheaper to buy
    XP, install it, and download drivers from Dell's web site.

    > "SteveD" wrote:
    > > I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who
    > > knows where.
    > > Don't know how many users before me or what they may have
    > > done. No CD's
    > > accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and
    > > programs open
    > > and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc.
    > > haven't helped. I
    > > want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is
    > > given on a
    > > Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
    > >
    > > Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned
    > > this laptop?
    > > If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will
    > > be the second
    > > install?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > All of the other replies here are correct but I just thought that I
    > would post a simple to the point answer.
    >
    > No you cannot use a different CD - they are connected with the key - I
    > have personally run into the problem. Who cares that I have the keys
    > I only had the one CD at the time. So while you should listen to
    > everyone else - have fun dealing the the people on the phone when you
    > want to use a key with a different disc.
    >
    > Locke

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Format-Reinstall-ftopict543029.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1713026

    > http://www.usenet.com