I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.
Don't know how many users before me or what they may have done. No CD's
accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and programs open
and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc. haven't helped. I
want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is given on a
Windows XP sticker on the laptop.

Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned this laptop?
If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will be the second
install?

Thanks

The Windows XP Product Key affixed to your laptop will
only work with a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.
You'll have to contact Dell and order a replacement since
you cannot use a different Windows XP CD.

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

Once you receive your Dell Reinstallation CD, perform
a "clean install".

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"SteveD" wrote:

| I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.
| Don't know how many users before me or what they may have done. No CD's
| accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and programs open
| and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc. haven't helped. I
| want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is given on a
| Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
|
| Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned this laptop?
| If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will be the second
| install?
|
| Thanks

Laptops, unlike desktop systems, come with much proprietary hardware. Along with the Dell
OEM Windows XP CD for that model laptop, you will probably also need the Dell CD for
Drivers and Utilities (more for the drivers for the proprietary hardware than the
utilities) that was shipped with that model laptop. So, if as advised, you contact Dell
for the replacement Dell OEM Windows XP CD for that laptop, ask for the Drivers and
Utilities CD as well.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

> The Windows XP Product Key affixed to your laptop will
> only work with a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD.
> You'll have to contact Dell and order a replacement since
> you cannot use a different Windows XP CD.
>
> Welcome to Dell Support
> http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
>
> Once you receive your Dell Reinstallation CD, perform
> a "clean install".
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

---

> "SteveD" wrote:
>
> | I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.
> | Don't know how many users before me or what they may have done. No CD's
> | accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and programs open
> | and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc. haven't helped. I
> | want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is given on a
> | Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
> |
> | Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned this laptop?
> | If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will be the second
> | install?
> |
> | Thanks

kelly

buy your own copy of windows xp. format and clean install with it, you'll be
better off with a full version. visit www.dell.com for updated drivers for
your particular machine while you can still get online, best to do it all and
have it ready before formatting. install the drivers once you format and
install xp. ta da.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVE?= wrote:

> I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who knows where.

In any case you may still need to contact dell for the disks as laptop
XP installs seem to be quite proprietary. Of course, you can try to
install with your own xP cd and then see if you can find the drivers to
make everything work.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

"SteveD" wrote:
> I am the latest user of a dell laptop, passed down from who
> knows where.
> Don't know how many users before me or what they may have
> done. No CD's
> accompanied it. The hard drive stays active continually and
> programs open
> and close extremely slow. Antispyware, antivirus, etc.
> haven't helped. I
> want to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. The key code is
> given on a
> Windows XP sticker on the laptop.
>
> Am I "legal" if I use another XP CD, but the key code assigned
> this laptop?
> If so, how difficult will reactivating it be since this will
> be the second
> install?
>
> Thanks

All of the other replies here are correct but I just thought that I
would post a simple to the point answer.

No you cannot use a different CD - they are connected with the key - I
have personally run into the problem. Who cares that I have the keys
I only had the one CD at the time. So while you should listen to
everyone else - have fun dealing the the people on the phone when you
want to use a key with a different disc.

Locke

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Format-Reinstall-ftopict543029.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1713026

http://www.usenet.com

Thanks to all repliers. Just got off the telephone with Dell. Was on the
phone for over an hour, transfered five times, and I finally gave up and hung
up. What I got for all this was, Dell won't replace/sell restore CDs. When
I hung up, I was on hold (routed back to the first division I called) for a
tech who was suppose to try and walk me through a solution which I am certain
would have ended with them wanting me to send this laptop in. Cheaper to buy
XP, install it, and download drivers from Dell's web site.