Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why won't Windows 7 work on my Setup!

Last response: in Windows 7
March 6, 2010 5:38:31 PM

I bought Windows 7 in the middle of Jan. this year and it don't work on my PC. It will install but after the install I lose all video from my Graphics Card. But XP doesn't have that problem like 7 does. I have called Microsoft multiple times about the issue and they have not figured out the problem. Is it a problem with my GTS250 or what else would the problem be. I also have had all my other hardware tested and have found no faults to it. I would like to use windows 7 but Microsoft can't figure out the problem. So any and all help would be a blessing in this matter. Thanks.

More about : windows work setup

a b $ Windows 7
a c 257 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 6:10:20 PM

We need more information to help. Please post complete system specs.
Score
March 6, 2010 7:50:42 PM

Phenom II 810 @ 3.0GHZ's with an Asus Triton 77 CPU cooler
4Gigs of Geil Black Dragon PC6400 memory
Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive
Asus Xonar DX PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card
BFG Tech GTS250 1GB Graphic Card
Corsair 650 Watt PSU

If yall need more please let me know.
Score
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 8:16:47 PM

What do you mean by you "lose all video"?
Score
March 6, 2010 8:28:19 PM

My monitor says please check the cable when it goes blank. So I am guessing that means the VGA cable. But XP don't have that problem. It installs fine compared to 7.
Score
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 8:30:46 PM

Reseat the video cable at both ends (monitor and PC) and boot into safe mode. See if you get any video there.

Edit: This seems more like a driver problem than something Windows 7 specific. I've never seen anyone has this problem before.
Score
March 6, 2010 8:55:34 PM

I have reset the cable at both ends and I get video in Safe Mode but that is due to it is using generic drivers Microsoft said. I also tried both DVI ports on the Video Card and had the same results.
Score
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 9:50:00 PM

Reboot and when hitting F8 to enter Safe Mode, select Safe Mode with Networking instead. Download and install your video driver.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:10:45 PM

My brother had a similar issue, what he had to do was install vista, then the vista drivers, then install win7 over it, it's not technically a clean install, but from what I understood it worked. Not the perfect solution, but a solution.
Score
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:24:23 PM

Keep in mind that would only work when it comes to hardware from companies like AMD and Nvidia that have unified drivers. If an OEM wrote a specific driver for each operating system...
Score
March 7, 2010 12:12:07 AM

I only have XP instead of Vista. So I would like to use windows 7 if I could but I guess I will take the advice giving and figure it out and go from there. Thanks.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
a c 231 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 1:33:42 AM

Was this an "upgrade" or "clean install" ? Clean install means you formatted your HD.

If upgrading, did you uninstall video card drivers before upgrading ?

Diod you let MS Windows Update install video card drivers (Just say no !)

Have you tried ?

1. Uninstalling all nVidia drivers
2. Cleaning registery of all things nVidia w./ CCleaner or driversweeper.
3. Resinstalling latest nVidia GFX drivers.

Score
March 7, 2010 1:48:20 AM

I went threw all of that with Microsoft and it din't get me anywhere. they told me to due to clean install and the upgrade and it didn't help what so ever.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:31:56 AM

Boot into safe mode with networking. Download the latest drivers for you video card, install them, reboot, enjoy.
Score
March 7, 2010 2:55:51 AM

I don't mean to sound like a hard ass but yall are telling me the same that I went threw with Microsoft. I was on the phone for over 3 hours with them. So I was hoping yall would come up with that Microsoft didn't come up with.
Score
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 3:32:50 AM

Did they tell you to do what both myself and daship mentioned?
Score
March 7, 2010 4:05:43 AM

Yes they did and I didn't get no where with it.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 10:36:11 AM

Forgetfull,

You were so close with the safe mode bit and the generic drivers of windows.
Since you said yourself in safe mode you get a display on your monitor instead of a black screen.

What it tells me is Forgetfull, it is likely you also have a motherboard with intergrated graphics chip.
And also a vga output for it on the back.

It is likely in that case that windows 7 may be using that instead.
And in order to make it work on your GT 250 card you will need to disable the intergrated graphics card in your bios settings.

To be honest i have seen this before and it something you forget about sometimes.
Score
March 7, 2010 2:05:59 PM

What about you power supply? Mine did the same thing on a new build, I swiched some cables around, and it worked. I thought it was the drivers too, but it was the PS, and windows 7, I think someone posted about it earlier.
Score
March 7, 2010 6:15:51 PM

So with my PSU I need to use the other 6 pin Express connector? Also my onboard video on my mainboard has an auto disable I think but don't know. Also since my mainboard has Hybrid SLI cold that be an issue to or not.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2010 9:39:18 PM

Easy check, boot into windows and plug monitor into onboard graphics connector, if it works, then go into bios and change to primary display on Pci and disable onboard, not leave auto, disable!
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2010 8:27:22 AM

Moricon is also right with what he has said in his post,
It could be as simple as changing a setting to pci-e slot as your primary graphics card in the bios.
I would also check that you do in fact have the extra power feed from your psu = 6 pin pci-e power connector on your GT 250 graphics card, see if it is loose.
With out it in it is also likely to be the cause of black screens, just before it goes to load into windows 7, and to the desktop.
The reason for it is windows xp, infact used a 2d driver for its desktop display of windows xp.
Windows 7 uses a 3d driver to display the desktop. in 3d mode the GT 250 card will need more power to run.

All i can hope is this was a bit more help, than from MS.
And that you now have a good idea of how to fix this problem.
Let me know how you got on with it.

Shaun O.
March 8, 2010 10:50:15 AM

Shaun o said:
Moricon is also right with what he has said in his post,
It could be as simple as changing a setting to pci-e slot as your primary graphics card in the bios.
I would also check that you do in fact have the extra power feed from your psu = 6 pin pci-e power connector on your GT 250 graphics card, see if it is loose.
With out it in it is also likely to be the cause of black screens, just before it goes to load into windows 7, and to the desktop.
The reason for it is windows xp, infact used a 2d driver for its desktop display of windows xp.
Windows 7 uses a 3d driver to display the desktop. in 3d mode the GT 250 card will need more power to run.

All i can hope is this was a bit more help, than from MS.
And that you now have a good idea of how to fix this problem.
Let me know how you got on with it.

Shaun O.

dito on what shaun said.
Score
March 15, 2010 12:14:10 AM

Best answer selected by forgetfull.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 11:35:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score