Speakers advice requested

Last response: in Home Audio
June 20, 2004 8:22:54 PM

Hello fellow audiophiles,

You are probably stuck in the same dillema I am in. ie. No single
shop has all the components I would like to put togheter to
audition...

I am contemplating upgrading my set up with a new McIntosh tube
pre-amplifier MC2200 and the McIntosh MC2102 Tube amplifier. I
currently own Martin Logan speakers and would like to upgrade to a
full range speaker (not necessarely electrostatic). Any
suggestions???

Also I would like to hear opinions related to the Meridian DVD player
598 versus the CD player 508.24.

Your suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

Happy listening

Denis
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 10:11:08 PM

I and others can make plenty of recommendations but to be of any use, you
need to indicate your budget, room size and characteristics, musical tastes,
and listening preferences and priorities (analytical? warm? etc)

On 6/20/04 12:22 PM, in article cb4dku02n55@news4.newsguy.com, "Denis
G?n?reux" <genereuxd@mac.com> wrote:

> Hello fellow audiophiles,
>
> You are probably stuck in the same dillema I am in. ie. No single
> shop has all the components I would like to put togheter to
> audition...
>
> I am contemplating upgrading my set up with a new McIntosh tube
> pre-amplifier MC2200 and the McIntosh MC2102 Tube amplifier. I
> currently own Martin Logan speakers and would like to upgrade to a
> full range speaker (not necessarely electrostatic). Any
> suggestions???
>
> Also I would like to hear opinions related to the Meridian DVD player
> 598 versus the CD player 508.24.
>
> Your suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
>
> Happy listening
>
> Denis
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:19:48 AM

Thanks Russell

Indeed I should mention that I listen almost exclusively to Jazz and
classical music. My musical tastes lie mostly on small ensembles (ie
chamber music and small combo jazz bands) I enjoy the analytical
sound of my Martin Logans but need to use them with tubes to take out
the "edge." Soundstaging is of the utmost importance and timbral
accuracy as well.

My budget is $15k max for the speakers, I have listened to Cabasse,
and would like to audition some sonus Faber as well. Anyone with the
pre-am and amp combo I am contemplating (McIntosh 2200 & 2102)could
let me know what speakers thy have paired this with?

Russell Reich <russellreich@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<cb4jvs01gm5@news1.newsguy.com>...
> I and others can make plenty of recommendations but to be of any use, you
> need to indicate your budget, room size and characteristics, musical tastes,
> and listening preferences and priorities (analytical? warm? etc)
>
> On 6/20/04 12:22 PM, in article cb4dku02n55@news4.newsguy.com, "Denis
> G?n?reux" <genereuxd@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello fellow audiophiles,
> >
> > You are probably stuck in the same dillema I am in. ie. No single
> > shop has all the components I would like to put togheter to
> > audition...
> >
> > I am contemplating upgrading my set up with a new McIntosh tube
> > pre-amplifier MC2200 and the McIntosh MC2102 Tube amplifier. I
> > currently own Martin Logan speakers and would like to upgrade to a
> > full range speaker (not necessarely electrostatic). Any
> > suggestions???
> >
> > Also I would like to hear opinions related to the Meridian DVD player
> > 598 versus the CD player 508.24.
> >
> > Your suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
> >
> > Happy listening
> >
> > Denis
June 22, 2004 9:16:20 AM

Thanks Russell

Indeed I should mention that I listen almost exclusively to Jazz and
classical music. My musical tastes lie mostly on small ensembles (ie
chamber music and small combo jazz bands) I enjoy the analytical
sound of my Martin Logans but need to use them with tubes to take out
the "edge." Soundstaging is of the utmost importance and timbral
accuracy as well.

My budget is $15k max for the speakers, I have listened to Cabasse,
and would like to audition some sonus Faber as well. Anyone with the
pre-am and amp combo I am contemplating (McIntosh 2200 & 2102)could
let me know what speakers thy have paired this with?

Russell Reich <russellreich@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<cb4jvs01gm5@news1.newsguy.com>...
> I and others can make plenty of recommendations but to be of any use, you
> need to indicate your budget, room size and characteristics, musical tastes,
> and listening preferences and priorities (analytical? warm? etc)
>
> On 6/20/04 12:22 PM, in article cb4dku02n55@news4.newsguy.com, "Denis
> G?n?reux" <genereuxd@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello fellow audiophiles,
> >
> > You are probably stuck in the same dillema I am in. ie. No single
> > shop has all the components I would like to put togheter to
> > audition...
> >
> > I am contemplating upgrading my set up with a new McIntosh tube
> > pre-amplifier MC2200 and the McIntosh MC2102 Tube amplifier. I
> > currently own Martin Logan speakers and would like to upgrade to a
> > full range speaker (not necessarely electrostatic). Any
> > suggestions???
> >
> > Also I would like to hear opinions related to the Meridian DVD player
> > 598 versus the CD player 508.24.
> >
> > Your suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
> >
> > Happy listening
> >
> > Denis
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 3:01:40 AM

Hi Dennis,

I listen to a lot (mostly) of acoustic based bands. Everything from Jazz,
classical, bluegrass, crossovers between, ie. Edger Meyer, Bela Fleck,
Stephen Grappli, Allison Kraus, Nora Jones, Jame Taylor etc. (please excuse
the spelling) and self recorded music. I listened to the Martin Logan series
whenever I had chance and then I listened to some Magnepan's. Because of my
limited budget, I had to be patient and wait for used speakers. I have
progessed from MG12's to a set of Tympani IVa's. After listening to dipole
speakers and how well they reproduce music that I listened to while playing
it, recording it and mixing it, I can't imagine going back to a "box"
design. If buying new, I would go for the 3.6's, followed by the 1.6's in
the "best for the money" order. I'm hooked and the 55" ribbon tweeter of the
Tympani's that is almost the same as the 3.6 ribbon. If I had $10,000 (and I
do have the space for them) I'd get the 10's.

I bet that you'll will miss the dipole if you don't stick with them and end
up going back to a set.

I find the Martin Logins rather "dry" sounding compared to the Magnepan's
and I was waiting to find a used set of Magenpan 1.6's, 3.6's or Tympani's
when I was lucky enough to find the Tympani's. I used the MG12's and
Typmani's with three different power amps and three different preamps, all
solid state. The three power amps have been Bryston 2B, Bryston 4B and
Yamaha Pm2200. The last two preamps were the Adcom GTP-600 and the Classe
4001. The largest change was the preamp, with the "class A" design of the
4001 being the best. The power amps are actually very close (if not pushing
the little 2B to the limit) and the Yamaha is extremely close to the 4B. A
tube combo would be great if the SPL level for your room can be reached with
a 4 to 5 ohm load and an average 87 db/watt/meter rating but you won't need
a tube combo because the Magnepans aren't as "dry" sounding as the Martin
Logans.

If you can find a local dealer for Magnepan, listen to the 3.6 with a
Bryston 4B and good preamp.

Best of luck, enjoy yourself.

Tom eh!

"Denis G?n?reux" <genereuxd@mac.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Russell
>
> Indeed I should mention that I listen almost exclusively to Jazz and
> classical music. My musical tastes lie mostly on small ensembles (ie
> chamber music and small combo jazz bands) I enjoy the analytical
> sound of my Martin Logans but need to use them with tubes to take out
> the "edge." Soundstaging is of the utmost importance and timbral
> accuracy as well.
>
> My budget is $15k max for the speakers, I have listened to Cabasse,
> and would like to audition some sonus Faber as well. Anyone with the
> pre-am and amp combo I am contemplating (McIntosh 2200 & 2102)could
> let me know what speakers thy have paired this with?
>

> Russell Reich <russellreich@rcn.com> wrote in message
> > I and others can make plenty of recommendations but to be of any use,
you
> > need to indicate your budget, room size and characteristics, musical
tastes,
> > and listening preferences and priorities (analytical? warm? etc)
> >
> > On 6/20/04 12:22 PM, in article cb4dku02n55@news4.newsguy.com, "Denis
> > G?n?reux" <genereuxd@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello fellow audiophiles,
> > >
> > > You are probably stuck in the same dillema I am in. ie. No single
> > > shop has all the components I would like to put togheter to
> > > audition...
> > >
> > > I am contemplating upgrading my set up with a new McIntosh tube
> > > pre-amplifier MC2200 and the McIntosh MC2102 Tube amplifier. I
> > > currently own Martin Logan speakers and would like to upgrade to a
> > > full range speaker (not necessarely electrostatic). Any
> > > suggestions???
> > >
> > > Also I would like to hear opinions related to the Meridian DVD player
> > > 598 versus the CD player 508.24.
> > >
> > > Your suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
> > >
> > > Happy listening
> > >
> > > Denis

June 23, 2004 10:32:20 AM

Denis G?n?reux wrote:
> Indeed I should mention that I listen almost exclusively to Jazz and
> classical music. My musical tastes lie mostly on small ensembles (ie
> chamber music and small combo jazz bands) I enjoy the analytical
> sound of my Martin Logans but need to use them with tubes to take out
> the "edge." Soundstaging is of the utmost importance and timbral
> accuracy as well.
>
> My budget is $15k max for the speakers, I have listened to Cabasse,
> and would like to audition some sonus Faber as well. Anyone with the
> pre-am and amp combo I am contemplating (McIntosh 2200 & 2102)could
> let me know what speakers thy have paired this with?

You should have a listen here to my speakers, absolutely relaxed sound. If
you can find speakers with the Manger Sound Transducer where you are, have
an ear to them. You do not need tube gear, in fact the spacial resolution
gets less. You can locate the speakers, with solid state they "disappear".
Anyway there is never any stress on my ears since I have listened through
Mangers. With my mechanical enclosure design and the reflectors I could
emphasize the incredible ability of the Mangers. And with my crossover
design the sound of the sub integrates smoothly the lower two octaves.
http://www.pupazzo.page.ms/
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

I guess that I should throw the Dali Megaline into the mix,
www.spearitsound.com.
What about those McIntosh speakers with the tweeters in line array? I
read some good reviews on the top of the line ProAc Response 4s. The
Watt Puppies seem to have staying power.

!