Memory problem.....I think.....

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

I just got a homebuilt up and running this last weekend. Everything went fine, posted fine, bios found everything and I got xp home installed.

I have a p4c800 deluxe mb running dual channel Corsair, 256 each and a matched pair. They are Twinx 512-3200LLPT

After I got xp installed I started getting random reboots when doing various things. Installing drivers and this morning I got a big blue screen talking about contacting your vendor if this comes up again. And it was proceeding to dump physcial memory??

I'm also getting some memory error messages when I'm using my dial-up. Other then that the computer is doing just great when its stable. Very speedy.

Right now I"m running the windows memory diagnostic program and every time test 7 fails of the extended test run. The MATS+ test is the one that comes up failed every time. I have no idea what that means.

So is this good indication that the memory is bad? Was corsair that wrong brand to get, I thought that their memory was pretty stable.

Any other ideas would be great appreciated.

Thanks

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

Thanks for the quick reply, I assume you change these timings in the bios then? Sorry I've never change memory timings before. So by changing these timings and voltage what exactly does that do to make it stable?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Thanks for the quick reply, I assume you change these timings in the bios then?
That's correct. It's done through the BIOS.
So by changing these timings and voltage what exactly does that do to make it stable?
Providing more voltage to the memory that it may have more to perform up to expectations. And changing to timings that may be easier on the memory.

Set the following BIOS variables:

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD = DISABLED
DRAM CAS Latency = 2.5
DRAM RAS Precharge = 3
DRAM RAS To CAS Delay = 3
DRAM Precharge Delay = 7

DDR Reference Voltage = 2.75

Ubiquity

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
I had the same problem and posted it on another forum. I just changed the voltage, but I couldn't find all the other settings. Is it still ok to do it? I have a p4p800.

Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
my system worked fine with 2-3-3-6 settings but not with 2-3-2-6 (recommended settings with this RAM)....

---------------------
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0GHz HT
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT
ATI A-i-W Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 200Gb SATA
Lite-on IDE Combo Drive
Win XP Pro SP1

Ubiquity

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
Anybody know the recommended and maximum voltage settings for the dimms. I have two 256 ddr 400 model number VS256MB400C3. Can changing this ruin the ram, or cause my warrentee to void?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ubiquity on 11/20/03 00:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
These questions would be better answered by RAM GUY at <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=130" target="_new">The Corsair Forum</A> - a very good resource.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have the same board, and even my Corsair PC4000 wasn't 100% stable at default voltage (2.50v) at the lower PC3200 speed. I raised it to 2.65v and it worked fine. Funny thing, the PC runs fine all the way up to PC4000 speed at 2.75v, but still requires 2.65v to be stable at the slower PC3200 speed.

You'll find this setting in the Jumper Free Configuration screen under the Advanced BIOS menu.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
Hello

Just a follow-up, I changed the memory timing settings and voltage too what you recommended and what Ram Guy recommended in that post I pointed too.

I launched about 20 various programs and ran the Nvidia Fairy demo all night and this morning everything was still running and stable.

I also ran the aquamark program continually this morning and still was stable. Closed down windows and powered off the computer and restarted and still okay.

I'm keeping everything crossed here......