XP PRO + XP PRO x64 dual boot, and installation on SATA HD..

June 6, 2005 6:44:03 PM

Hi all, subject pretty matter says it all. I am building an AMD 64 computer
and having trouble installing Windows on a serial ATA HD. I don't have a
floppy drive. After the partitioning and copying the system files, Windows
setup reboots and normally it should continue the installtion. Instead, it
goes back to step 1 in an endless loop of copying system files and rebooting.
It seems that setup program does not see the SATA drive. Is there a way I can
get around this w/o having a floppy drive. If not, how do I do this with a
floppy drive?

Secondly, I would like to install a dual boot system with XP Pro as well as
XP Pro x64 (actually a triple boot with + Linux down the road). How do I do
this?
Thanks much!
June 7, 2005 3:15:18 AM

Your bound to need a floppy drive, at some stage.
Simply copy sata drivers - the install that is - to floppy, use the F6
option when installing win to load the sata drivers.
The drivers should be on your mobo cd, often in a form that can be extracted
to a floppy.

"Oz" <Oz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, subject pretty matter says it all. I am building an AMD 64
computer
> and having trouble installing Windows on a serial ATA HD. I don't have a
> floppy drive. After the partitioning and copying the system files, Windows
> setup reboots and normally it should continue the installtion. Instead, it
> goes back to step 1 in an endless loop of copying system files and
rebooting.
> It seems that setup program does not see the SATA drive. Is there a way I
can
> get around this w/o having a floppy drive. If not, how do I do this with a
> floppy drive?
>
> Secondly, I would like to install a dual boot system with XP Pro as well
as
> XP Pro x64 (actually a triple boot with + Linux down the road). How do I
do
> this?
> Thanks much!
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:31:09 AM

"Oz" <Oz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi all, subject pretty matter says it all. I am building an AMD 64
computer
| and having trouble installing Windows on a serial ATA HD. I don't have
| floppy drive. After the partitioning and copying the system files,
Windows
| setup reboots and normally it should continue the installtion.
Instead, it
| goes back to step 1 in an endless loop of copying system files and
rebooting.
| It seems that setup program does not see the SATA drive. Is there a
way I can
| get around this w/o having a floppy drive. If not, how do I do this
with a
| floppy drive?
|
| Secondly, I would like to install a dual boot system with XP Pro as
well as
| XP Pro x64 (actually a triple boot with + Linux down the road). How do
I do
| this?
| Thanks much!

SATA ports must be enabled in the BIOS setup.....
You will need a floppy drive for the F6.....
June 7, 2005 4:59:25 AM

If the setup program cannot see the SATA drive, what is it
partitioning and copy system files to?

!