DVD Recorders with SACD/DVD-Audio?

I'm looking for a combination of a DVD Recorder with hard disk
capability that can also play multichannel SACD and DVD/Audio discs. I
haven't found any so far. Can anybody help ?
SHamre, Norway.
3 answers Last reply
More about recorders sacd audio
  1. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "SHamre" <sigurd.hamre@nrk.no> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a combination of a DVD Recorder with hard disk
    > capability that can also play multichannel SACD and DVD/Audio discs. I
    > haven't found any so far. Can anybody help ?
    > SHamre, Norway.

    Panasonic has just bought out one that plays DVD-A as well as records.
    Model E55 I believe in the USA. However, I know of no SACD only or
    universal player that also records. Like you, I wonder "why not"?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 6/26/04 12:08 AM, in article hF6Dc.118988$Sw.72854@attbi_s51, "Harry
    Lavo" <harry.lavo@rcn.com> wrote:

    > "SHamre" <sigurd.hamre@nrk.no> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a combination of a DVD Recorder with hard disk
    >> capability that can also play multichannel SACD and DVD/Audio discs. I
    >> haven't found any so far. Can anybody help ?
    >> SHamre, Norway.
    >
    > Panasonic has just bought out one that plays DVD-A as well as records.
    > Model E55 I believe in the USA. However, I know of no SACD only or
    > universal player that also records. Like you, I wonder "why not"?

    I suspect it is the expense of the chipsets that prevents it. Also it may
    be that the record companies are *so* paranoid of copying music that a
    product that does that may not be in the near term cards.

    (Plus it is dirt simple to do copying on a computer...)
  3. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "Harry Lavo" <harry.lavo@rcn.com> wrote:

    >"SHamre" <sigurd.hamre@nrk.no> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a combination of a DVD Recorder with hard disk
    >> capability that can also play multichannel SACD and DVD/Audio discs. I
    >> haven't found any so far. Can anybody help ?
    >> SHamre, Norway.
    >
    >Panasonic has just bought out one that plays DVD-A as well as records.
    >Model E55 I believe in the USA. However, I know of no SACD only or
    >universal player that also records. Like you, I wonder "why not"?

    I suspect that this probably reflects consumer demand. The reason I
    mention this is that I have recently been searching reviews for a new
    DVD player that will play SACD, DVD-A, etc. Naturally, I wanted to see
    what software was available locally. I found that most stores only
    had DVD music titles if any. The one store that had a fair selection
    was Best Buy but the collection was extremely limited. I.E., there
    were several isles of CD's but only a single isle that by eye was
    composed of approximately 70% DVD music titles, 18% DVD-A titles, and
    12% SACD titles. Again, this is a rough visual approximation based on
    the area dedicated to each format and NOT an exact count! It is
    important to note here that I live in a metropolitan area with a
    population of about 500,000.
    Needless to say, I have decided that ability to play SACD has become
    much less compelling since local availability is so limited. I am
    also extremely disappointed that the darned things cost as much or
    more than a DVD video.
    To digress a bit, I find the very few DVD videos I have very enjoyable
    although the recording quality is variable from superb to gimmicky.
    For example, I really dislike hearing an instrument coming from a
    surround speaker. I have only been to a handful of performances where
    musicians or singers were placed behind the audience so I really do
    not understand why recording engineers feel the need to create musical
    ping-pong effects.

High-End Audio DVD Audio