Can I upgrade XP Pro to 7 Ultimate?

reido

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I have a 32-bit XP Pro, and would like to upgrade to a 64-bit 7 Ultimate.

Upgrade as in from the desktop, and keeping everything from before the upgrade. Is this possible?

Also, if it is possible, will this be similar to a clean install of 7? As in, will it remove any malware that was previously on XP? Or will it transfer the malware from XP to 7?

Thank you,

John

Solution
The answer is no for two reasons:

1: There is no direct upgrade path between XP and 7
2: There is no way to upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS

So you will have to do a clean install of Windows 7. That optionally includes formatting, which I would recommend wholeheartedly if there's even a question of malware with your existing setup, but also because you have to reinstall all your apps anyway.

cl-scott

Honorable
The answer is no for two reasons:

1: There is no direct upgrade path between XP and 7
2: There is no way to upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS

So you will have to do a clean install of Windows 7. That optionally includes formatting, which I would recommend wholeheartedly if there's even a question of malware with your existing setup, but also because you have to reinstall all your apps anyway.

Solution

drspa

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
The Rules of Conduct are general guidelines for regular users on acceptable behavior in the Tom's Hardware forums. These guidelines may change at the discretion of the Community Manager as necessary to foster an environment appropriate to civil discourse. This outline is a basic set of guidelines and does not encompass every foreseeable event, and individual infractions will be dealt with by moderators on a per incident basis. The Community Manager and Moderation Team has sole discretion on how to interpret and apply these rules to circumstances and situations, including discipline or exception. The Rules of Conduct also include adherence to Tom's Hardware website Terms of Service, located at http://www.tomshardware.com/terms.html.

Actually your #1 is mistaken. I have an upgrade disk from Microsoft that does just that.

cl-scott

Honorable

That's interesting considering the quote directly from Microsoft's website:

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

I'd be interested in hearing more about this disc you have, because if my information is out of date in some way, I'd like to change that.

Hi :)

There is NO disc that upgrades XP to 7...

The ONLY upgrade path (which I have had to use on customers machines) is to UPGRADE from XP to Vista, then UPGRADE again to 7...

Any other method means a wipe and clean install.... NOTHING LEFT FROM XP AT ALL...

All the best Brett :)