Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Don't wanna use the whole disk for boot partition

Last response: in Windows 7
August 1, 2012 8:59:57 PM

Hello,

Got a 1.5 tb Sata seagate and I've heard win7 has probs with drives this size when they're the boot drive.

But in the "where do you want to install windows" screen in advanced options there seems to be no way to make a partition just for windoze7; only options that ain't ghosted are delete and format.

Sensibly a three- or four-hundred gig partition on this large HD should work for a boot drive but I'm jiggered if I can figure out how to do it; even though it obviously doesn't need all the space, the only option it gives me is to install to this one big Disk 0 Partition 2.

(Partition 1 is the 100mb "system reserved").

Thanx y'all,
m
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 9:07:46 PM

Windows 7 has no issues with a drive of that size as long as you use NTFS.
m
l

Best solution

August 1, 2012 9:12:37 PM

Check this out. Win 7 Clean Install Step-by-step

Go to Drive Options(Advanced)

Delete any existing partions(if any)

Create whatever partitions you want, then select the partition to install Win 7 on.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 9:13:27 PM

If you install Windows 7 on as the second partition from the System Reserved partition(which is normal) the OS won't take up that entire space, it will only use as much space as it needs and then the rest is used for whatever you want.

m
l
August 1, 2012 9:34:43 PM

Windows 7 with full updates should take less than 30GB.

I would recommended at least a 50-60GB partition for the OS, and another partition(s) for the rest.

You can setup a partition for programs and data, or have separate partitions for those things individually. You can really get creative with that much space available on one drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 10:20:33 PM

DO NOT PARTITION THE DAMN DRIVE

only noobs partition the drive dont bother it just crams everything into a small space and causes chaos leave it as one large drive seriously
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 10:58:54 PM

Every build I do is partitioned. And every user has at one time or another thanked me for it. ..... do you throw all your paperwork in one giant box or do you use files ?

If ya worried about ya partition(s) ever getting "too small" you should rule out ever being an SSD owner. If ya cant keep windows on say a 120 GB HD partition w/o problems, how ya gonna manage an SSD ?

Here's how partitioning makes life better

1. Your HD is twice as fast at the outside edge as it is on the inner edge..... eventually, after a cupla dozen "Patch Tuesdays", your windows files are spread out all over the place.... result, slower performance. Keeping OS forever locked at outer edge of drive means OS files always get picked off the drive at maximum speed ... ever notice ya mchine getting slower to boot over time ? this eliminates a good part of that.

2. Your swap / page file.... same as above....fragmented files are slow

3. Ever have a fudged OS and have to reformat ? Tired of Windows registry bloat and just wanna do a reinstall.... OS on its own drive means no having to worry about formatting the whole drive and having to reinstall replace all programs and data. yes, many programs will have to be installed over themselves to set registry entries but all customizations are retained.

4. Use an SSD ? .... huge tip .... On build day don't plug in the SSD and install windows to a 120GB partition on the HD. Do all the windows updates and partition the rest of the drive as you see fit. Now plug in the SSD and do the same. Install programs, games and data as per your "plan" ... and you are all set to go....relabel the 120 GB partition to X:\ so that all programs, games, data is on the same letter drive on both boots

Now if the SSD fails, you unplug the data cable to the SSD and you can boot of the HD with full access to your programs games and data ..... Ya got a virus infection that's proving difficult, make it simple....boot to the uninfected OS on the HD and clean OS in the SSD from there.

5. Ya use backup files ? ..... wouldn't it be nice to have those at the very inner edge of the disk ...the slowest portion ?

6. Wouldn't ya like to have ya games locked at the faster outer edges of the disk then "wherever they happen to wind up".

7. Ya backup anything to network or NAS ? .....sure is easier setting schedules by partition rather than by picking dozens of folders....... I back 10 machines in my SOHO to NAS ....

Data partitions on daily basis
Programs Partitions monthly
Before each "Patch Tuesday"

The big fear of having a partition "get full" simply vanishes with a simple partitioning utility which lets you resize, combine or do whatever ya want any time you want to.

m
l
August 2, 2012 12:37:07 AM

ryanrich, your suggestion worked.

Deleted the one big primary partition (the one after the 100mb system recover partition) then selected that unalocated space and clicked "NEW" and created a 200-gig partition and selected it and clicked "NEXT" and windows7 is installing to it as I type.

So I'm left with over a TB of space on that huge drive and still have a pretty large partition as the boot drive.

Exactly what I wanted to do.

As most probs happen on the boot drive, I didn't like the idea of having image and video files on that same partition to lose when the inevitable glitch happens to the boot drive. Now they'll be separate and (relatively) safe.

Thanx ryanrich--and the rest of you--for your helpful responses.

Best,
m
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2012 3:40:44 PM

mondoMondo said:
ryanrich, your suggestion worked.

Deleted the one big primary partition (the one after the 100mb system recover partition) then selected that unalocated space and clicked "NEW" and created a 200-gig partition and selected it and clicked "NEXT" and windows7 is installing to it as I type.

So I'm left with over a TB of space on that huge drive and still have a pretty large partition as the boot drive.

Exactly what I wanted to do.

As most probs happen on the boot drive, I didn't like the idea of having image and video files on that same partition to lose when the inevitable glitch happens to the boot drive. Now they'll be separate and (relatively) safe.

Thanx ryanrich--and the rest of you--for your helpful responses.

Best,
m

If you really wanted to make this system safe you would have gotten another hard drive and put everything you wanted to keep on that by your logic. SATA drives have horrible failure ratios lately. I had 5 out of 8 of mine fail in the first 6 months (All WD's). Putting stuff in another partition on the same drive won't save you if the drive fails like mine did.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2012 4:30:07 PM

I agree with ahnilated, the safest route to go is with another drive for backup and storage or store the valuable data on external storage media (removable HDD, maybe flash drive). Storing both your OS and the data that is important to you on the same drive is not fail proof, as you're just sectioning off a single point of failure, so if the drive goes, so does the data and recovery will be a nightmare.

m
l
August 3, 2012 6:34:52 PM

I agree completely with CDdude55 that data and OS should be separated to different physical drives, if you have access to that.

Single boot drive configs like laptops do not have this luxury. In those cases, partitioning is recommended to keep these files separate. This makes backing up important files easier and reinstalling the OS much easier if there are issues with that.

The tips provided by JackNaylorPE are very good and can be helpful if there are any issues.
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:27:15 AM

Great suggestions y'all. Makes sense that if the HD fails, it ain't likely any of its partitions will be accessible.

Now I'm wondering why I dedicated such a huge drive for booting. Think it was 'cause it was less than a hundred bux from newegg.

But with your good advice I'm seriously thinking of getting a second small HD just for the boot, and use that big monster for storage of data.

As for WD drives--don't get me started. Bought a WD MyBook and it was the flakiest HD I've ever owned.

Woah, I was remembering wrong. That 1.5TB drive is a Samsung Spinpoint and at 49.99 it cost considerably less than a hundred bux. (Hope that ain't an indication of its quality).

Thanx,
m
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:01:54 AM

Best answer selected by mondoMondo.
m
l
!