Safe mode

June 6, 2005 10:21:00 PM

I can't boot in safe mode.
All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
nothing.

More about : safe mode

June 6, 2005 10:21:01 PM

Martin Lambert wrote:

> I can't boot in safe mode.
> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
> nothing.

Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
that make you want to get to Safe Mode?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi Martin,

How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the screen
fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe Mode? That
said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
news:o G%23H9XuaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I can't boot in safe mode.
> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
> nothing.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 7, 2005 3:27:34 AM

My bad, didn't see your reply...... :o (

--

> Martin Lambert wrote:
>
>> I can't boot in safe mode.
>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
>> nothing.
>
> Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
> model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
> into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
> that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:17:07 AM

I waited till 10 minutes with no action on the hard drive.
I go to safe mode by pressing F8 at boot and then choose safe mode.
I would like to go safe mode to remove my DVD writer as someone suggest me
to do so to remove it in safe mode and have windows redetect it to try to
solve my problem. After a certain time, when I insert a disc nothing happend
and if I go thru windows explorer and click the dvd drive, windows tell me
to insert a disc. I have to reboot with the cd inserted to have windows
detect it.

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
%23sJc5hxaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Martin,
>
> How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the
> screen fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe
> Mode? That said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
> news:o G%23H9XuaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>I can't boot in safe mode.
>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
>> nothing.

June 7, 2005 6:17:08 AM

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the great feedback. You can try to troubleshoot this via Normal
Mode. While in the Device Manager (with all hidden files selected), double
click on your DVD drive. Once done, right click and choose/Uninstall.
Reboot.

As for the issue you are having this is BUG in Windows XP. Here are some
checkpoints to consider:

Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
in Windows Explorer.

To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:

Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
Explorer.

Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455

CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691

Good luck and keep us posted!

--

>I waited till 10 minutes with no action on the hard drive.
> I go to safe mode by pressing F8 at boot and then choose safe mode.
> I would like to go safe mode to remove my DVD writer as someone suggest me
> to do so to remove it in safe mode and have windows redetect it to try to
> solve my problem. After a certain time, when I insert a disc nothing
> happend and if I go thru windows explorer and click the dvd drive, windows
> tell me to insert a disc. I have to reboot with the cd inserted to have
> windows detect it.
>

> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
> %23sJc5hxaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the
>> screen fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe
>> Mode? That said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
>> news:o G%23H9XuaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>I can't boot in safe mode.
>>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
>>> nothing.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:21:19 AM

It's a clone with Asus motherboard.
I'm using windows XP home with service pack 2.
Yes I been able to boot in safe mode but long time ago.
Can't tell what exactly changed as it was long time ago.
The problem I have is with my DVD writer.
After a while, when I insert a disc nothing happen and if I go with windows
explorer and click on the dvd, windows tell me to insert a disc. Someone in
this ng suggested to remove the dvd in safe mode and have windows redetect
it.

"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
eVncDXvaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Martin Lambert wrote:
>
>> I can't boot in safe mode.
>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
>> nothing.
>
> Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
> model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
> into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
> that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 7, 2005 6:21:20 AM

In addition, for further info, see if this works better for you:

Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Boot.Ini and check off /SafeBoot. Apply/Ok,
reboot.
Note: Before leaving safe mode, revert.

--

news:o xQKWkyaFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> It's a clone with Asus motherboard.
> I'm using windows XP home with service pack 2.
> Yes I been able to boot in safe mode but long time ago.
> Can't tell what exactly changed as it was long time ago.
> The problem I have is with my DVD writer.
> After a while, when I insert a disc nothing happen and if I go with
> windows explorer and click on the dvd, windows tell me to insert a disc.
> Someone in this ng suggested to remove the dvd in safe mode and have
> windows redetect it.
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> eVncDXvaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Martin Lambert wrote:
>>
>>> I can't boot in safe mode.
>>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
>>> nothing.
>>
>> Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
>> model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
>> into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
>> that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:38:16 AM

But if I choose safe mode that way and it still doesn't work I will never be
able to revert to normal !!

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
eq8gRpyaFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In addition, for further info, see if this works better for you:
>
> Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Boot.Ini and check off /SafeBoot. Apply/Ok,
> reboot.
> Note: Before leaving safe mode, revert.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
> news:o xQKWkyaFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> It's a clone with Asus motherboard.
>> I'm using windows XP home with service pack 2.
>> Yes I been able to boot in safe mode but long time ago.
>> Can't tell what exactly changed as it was long time ago.
>> The problem I have is with my DVD writer.
>> After a while, when I insert a disc nothing happen and if I go with
>> windows explorer and click on the dvd, windows tell me to insert a disc.
>> Someone in this ng suggested to remove the dvd in safe mode and have
>> windows redetect it.
>>
>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> eVncDXvaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>>> Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
>>> model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
>>> into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
>>> that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:42:52 AM

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
%230EQsoyaFHA.1660@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the great feedback. You can try to troubleshoot this via
> Normal Mode. While in the Device Manager (with all hidden files
> selected), double click on your DVD drive. Once done, right click and
> choose/Uninstall. Reboot.

Already tried it.

> As for the issue you are having this is BUG in Windows XP. Here are some
> checkpoints to consider:
>
> Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
> Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

When I do this, it shows me that there is a cd inserted and that I have
538MB left.

> Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
> Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder
> view in Windows Explorer.
>
> To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
>
> Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
> the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in
> Windows Explorer.

Tried it also with no luck. The light on the reader come on for two seconds
and goes off.

It look like the reader fall as sleeping after sometime. It's not the reader
as I had a CDRW before with the same problem.

> Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
>
> How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
>
> You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW
> Drive with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455
>
> CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691
>
> Good luck and keep us posted!
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
>>I waited till 10 minutes with no action on the hard drive.
>> I go to safe mode by pressing F8 at boot and then choose safe mode.
>> I would like to go safe mode to remove my DVD writer as someone suggest
>> me to do so to remove it in safe mode and have windows redetect it to try
>> to solve my problem. After a certain time, when I insert a disc nothing
>> happend and if I go thru windows explorer and click the dvd drive,
>> windows tell me to insert a disc. I have to reboot with the cd inserted
>> to have windows detect it.
>>

>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> %23sJc5hxaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the
>>> screen fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe
>>> Mode? That said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> All the Best,
>>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>>

>>> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o G%23H9XuaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

June 8, 2005 4:57:53 AM

Good point, Martin. Hope you get this sorted soon.

--

!