Safe mode

I can't boot in safe mode.
All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
nothing.
10 answers Last reply
More about safe mode

    Martin Lambert wrote:

    > I can't boot in safe mode.
    > All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    > nothing.

    Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
    model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
    into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
    that make you want to get to Safe Mode?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi Martin,

    How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the screen
    fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe Mode? That
    said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
    >I can't boot in safe mode.
    > All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    > nothing.

    My bad, didn't see your reply...... :o(

    --

    > Martin Lambert wrote:
    >
    >> I can't boot in safe mode.
    >> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    >> nothing.
    >
    > Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
    > model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
    > into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
    > that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I waited till 10 minutes with no action on the hard drive.
    I go to safe mode by pressing F8 at boot and then choose safe mode.
    I would like to go safe mode to remove my DVD writer as someone suggest me
    to do so to remove it in safe mode and have windows redetect it to try to
    solve my problem. After a certain time, when I insert a disc nothing happend
    and if I go thru windows explorer and click the dvd drive, windows tell me
    to insert a disc. I have to reboot with the cd inserted to have windows
    detect it.

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
    %23sJc5hxaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Martin,
    >
    > How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the
    > screen fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe
    > Mode? That said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
    >>I can't boot in safe mode.
    >> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    >> nothing.

    Hi Martin,

    Thanks for the great feedback. You can try to troubleshoot this via Normal
    Mode. While in the Device Manager (with all hidden files selected), double
    click on your DVD drive. Once done, right click and choose/Uninstall.
    Reboot.

    As for the issue you are having this is BUG in Windows XP. Here are some
    checkpoints to consider:

    Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
    Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

    Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
    Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder view
    in Windows Explorer.

    To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:

    Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
    the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in Windows
    Explorer.

    Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939

    How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

    You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive
    with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455

    CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    --

    >I waited till 10 minutes with no action on the hard drive.
    > I go to safe mode by pressing F8 at boot and then choose safe mode.
    > I would like to go safe mode to remove my DVD writer as someone suggest me
    > to do so to remove it in safe mode and have windows redetect it to try to
    > solve my problem. After a certain time, when I insert a disc nothing
    > happend and if I go thru windows explorer and click the dvd drive, windows
    > tell me to insert a disc. I have to reboot with the cd inserted to have
    > windows detect it.
    >

    > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > %23sJc5hxaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi Martin,
    >>
    >> How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the
    >> screen fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe
    >> Mode? That said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
    >>>I can't boot in safe mode.
    >>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    >>> nothing.

    It's a clone with Asus motherboard.
    I'm using windows XP home with service pack 2.
    Yes I been able to boot in safe mode but long time ago.
    Can't tell what exactly changed as it was long time ago.
    The problem I have is with my DVD writer.
    After a while, when I insert a disc nothing happen and if I go with windows
    explorer and click on the dvd, windows tell me to insert a disc. Someone in
    this ng suggested to remove the dvd in safe mode and have windows redetect
    it.

    "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    eVncDXvaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Martin Lambert wrote:
    >
    >> I can't boot in safe mode.
    >> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    >> nothing.
    >
    > Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
    > model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
    > into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
    > that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In addition, for further info, see if this works better for you:

    Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Boot.Ini and check off /SafeBoot. Apply/Ok,
    reboot.
    Note: Before leaving safe mode, revert.

    --

    > It's a clone with Asus motherboard.
    > I'm using windows XP home with service pack 2.
    > Yes I been able to boot in safe mode but long time ago.
    > Can't tell what exactly changed as it was long time ago.
    > The problem I have is with my DVD writer.
    > After a while, when I insert a disc nothing happen and if I go with
    > windows explorer and click on the dvd, windows tell me to insert a disc.
    > Someone in this ng suggested to remove the dvd in safe mode and have
    > windows redetect it.
    >
    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > eVncDXvaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> Martin Lambert wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't boot in safe mode.
    >>> All I see is lot a writing on screen and suddenly a black screen and
    >>> nothing.
    >>
    >> Please post back with more information about your computer. Make and
    >> model will be helpful. Also, were you ever able to successfully boot
    >> into Safe Mode? If so, what changed? What problems are you experiencing
    >> that make you want to get to Safe Mode?
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    But if I choose safe mode that way and it still doesn't work I will never be
    able to revert to normal !!

    eq8gRpyaFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    %230EQsoyaFHA.1660@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Martin,
    >
    > Thanks for the great feedback. You can try to troubleshoot this via
    > Normal Mode. While in the Device Manager (with all hidden files
    > selected), double click on your DVD drive. Once done, right click and
    > choose/Uninstall. Reboot.

    Already tried it.

    > As for the issue you are having this is BUG in Windows XP. Here are some
    > checkpoints to consider:
    >
    > Open My Computer, right click on the CD Rom in question,
    > Properties/Hardware/Properties/Volumes/Populate.

    When I do this, it shows me that there is a cd inserted and that I have
    538MB left.

    > Other than that, this problem can occur if you are using Folder view in
    > Windows Explorer. The view may not be automatically refreshed in Folder
    > view in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
    >
    > Manually refresh Windows Explorer by pressing F5 or by clicking Refresh on
    > the View menu in Windows Explorer. And/or Do not use Folder view in
    > Windows Explorer.

    Tried it also with no luck. The light on the reader come on for two seconds
    and goes off.

    It look like the reader fall as sleeping after sometime. It's not the reader
    as I had a CDRW before with the same problem.

    > Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
    >
    > You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW
    > Drive with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455
    >
    > CD's Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders, or Is Unreadable
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309691
    >
    > Good luck and keep us posted!
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
    >>I waited till 10 minutes with no action on the hard drive.
    >> I go to safe mode by pressing F8 at boot and then choose safe mode.
    >> I would like to go safe mode to remove my DVD writer as someone suggest
    >> me to do so to remove it in safe mode and have windows redetect it to try
    >> to solve my problem. After a certain time, when I insert a disc nothing
    >> happend and if I go thru windows explorer and click the dvd drive,
    >> windows tell me to insert a disc. I have to reboot with the cd inserted
    >> to have windows detect it.
    >>

    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> %23sJc5hxaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hi Martin,
    >>>
    >>> How long are you waiting? It can take a couple of minutes after the
    >>> screen fills. Also, which measure are you using to gain access to Safe
    >>> Mode? That said, why do you need to be in Safe Mode?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>

    >>> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message

    Good point, Martin. Hope you get this sorted soon.

    --

    > But if I choose safe mode that way and it still doesn't work I will never
    > be able to revert to normal !!
    >
    > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > eq8gRpyaFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> In addition, for further info, see if this works better for you:
    >>
    >> Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Boot.Ini and check off /SafeBoot. Apply/Ok,
    >> reboot.
    >> Note: Before leaving safe mode, revert.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Martin Lambert" <email@email.com> wrote in message
    >>> It's a clone with Asus motherboard.
    >>> I'm using windows XP home with service pack 2.
    >>> Yes I been able to boot in safe mode but long time ago.
    >>> Can't tell what exactly changed as it was long time ago.
    >>> The problem I have is with my DVD writer.
    >>> After a while, when I insert a disc nothing happen and if I go with
    >>> windows explorer and click on the dvd, windows tell me to insert a disc.
    >>> Someone in this ng suggested to remove the dvd in safe mode and have
    >>> windows redetect it.
    >>>
    >>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>> eVncDXvaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Safe Mode Boot Microsoft Windows XP