I remember when ...

.... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating system.
You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on and run it.
There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I wish to test but
currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My question is: is
there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't want to install a
full blown system that actually creates programs. I just want to be able to
run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come to
doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires creating the
full HTML for the page.
8 answers Last reply
More about remember

    Look into VBscript.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Dennis Marks wrote:

    > ... personal computers had "basic"
    > built into them as the operating
    > system. You could just type any
    > program that you wished to experiment
    > on and run it. There are times that I
    > have a mathematical algorism that I
    > wish to test but currently computers
    > don't have a simple way to do it. My
    > question is: is there a way to write
    > simple programs and run them?

    Try Python. It's an interpreted oop language that's very easy to learn.

    http://python.org/

    Jon

    GW-BASIC and QBASIC both work with XP and can be downloaded for free.

    Download GW-BASIC here! Below we have GWBASIC 3.23, GW-BASIC Manual,
    Compiler, tutorials, examples and games, all absolutly free. Just click on
    the blue lettered selection, save and un-zip.
    http://www.geocities.com/KindlyRat/GWBASIC.html?200523

    QBasic available here...
    http://www.fluid.tue.nl/student/colleges/NLS/software.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Ox%239lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Dennis Marks <denmarks@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
    > system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
    > and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
    > wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
    > question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I
    > don't want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs.
    > I just want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi.
    > About the closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a
    > JavaScript but that requires creating the full HTML for the page.

    VB in Notepad. Nothing more is needed. Have been using the same measures
    for years.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
    > system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
    > and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
    > wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
    > question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't
    > want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs. I just
    > want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the
    > closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that
    > requires creating the full HTML for the page.

    vbscript with Windows Script Host is probably the closest to it

    write a basic program (without the line numbers ;) ) in notepad
    Save with a vbs extension and click.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

    Jon

    "Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
    > system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
    > and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
    > wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
    > question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't
    > want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs. I just
    > want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the
    > closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that
    > requires creating the full HTML for the page.

    It doesn't really. There are defualt HTML in any htm file. All you need is
    the script:

    <script>
    var pi = 0;
    // algorithm
    document.write{''+'</br>');
    // again
    </script>

    The other HTML tags will be put in automatically.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
    system.
    > You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on and run
    it.
    > There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I wish to test
    but
    > currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My question is: is
    > there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't want to install
    > full blown system that actually creates programs. I just want to be able
    > run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come
    > doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires creating the
    > full HTML for the page.

    XP can do

    vbscript
    jscript
    cmd script
    Assembler

    and with the .NET framework installed

    C.NET
    VB.NET

    Dennis Marks wrote:
    >> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
    >> system. You could just type any program that you wished to
    >> experiment on and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical
    >> algorism that I wish to test but currently computers don't have a
    >> simple way to do it. My question is: is there a way to write simple
    >> programs and run them? I don't want to install a full blown system
    >> that actually creates programs. I just want to be able to run simple
    >> routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come to
    >> doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires
    >> creating the full HTML for the page.

    Forget VBScript.

    1. You can use JScript [JavaScript] with the WSH [Windows Scripting Host].

    2. You can also download and install the C# compiler for free:

    http://www.netspade.com/articles/csharp/compilers.xml

    This is an excellent option as you can leverage the power of a full blown
    and native programming language for Windows.

    or better yet go ahead and blow a few bucks ..

    3. You can get yourself a copy of the Visual IDE for C# at a relatively
    reasonable price. Here's the MSDN site but you can probably do better
    price-wise:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vcsharp/default.aspx

Computers Microsoft Windows XP