  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 6, 2005 7:53:51 PM

.... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating system.
You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on and run it.
There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I wish to test but
currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My question is: is
there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't want to install a
full blown system that actually creates programs. I just want to be able to
run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come to
doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires creating the
full HTML for the page.

More about : remember

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:01:39 PM

Look into VBscript.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o x%239lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
> system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
> and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
> wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
> question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't
> want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs. I just
> want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the
> closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that
> requires creating the full HTML for the page.

June 6, 2005 8:09:02 PM

Dennis Marks wrote:

> ... personal computers had "basic"
> built into them as the operating
> system. You could just type any
> program that you wished to experiment
> on and run it. There are times that I
> have a mathematical algorism that I
> wish to test but currently computers
> don't have a simple way to do it. My
> question is: is there a way to write
> simple programs and run them?

Try Python. It's an interpreted oop language that's very easy to learn.

http://python.org/

Jon
June 6, 2005 9:49:38 PM

GW-BASIC and QBASIC both work with XP and can be downloaded for free.

Download GW-BASIC here! Below we have GWBASIC 3.23, GW-BASIC Manual,
Compiler, tutorials, examples and games, all absolutly free. Just click on
the blue lettered selection, save and un-zip.
http://www.geocities.com/KindlyRat/GWBASIC.html?200523

QBasic available here...
http://www.fluid.tue.nl/student/colleges/NLS/software.h...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o x%239lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dennis Marks <denmarks@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
> system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
> and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
> wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
> question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I
> don't want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs.
> I just want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi.
> About the closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a
> JavaScript but that requires creating the full HTML for the page.
June 7, 2005 3:20:45 AM

VB in Notepad. Nothing more is needed. Have been using the same measures
for years.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o x%239lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
> system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
> and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
> wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
> question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't
> want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs. I just
> want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the
> closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that
> requires creating the full HTML for the page.

June 7, 2005 4:08:37 AM

vbscript with Windows Script Host is probably the closest to it

write a basic program (without the line numbers ;)  ) in notepad
Save with a vbs extension and click.

Jon

"Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o x%239lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
> system. You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on
> and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I
> wish to test but currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My
> question is: is there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't
> want to install a full blown system that actually creates programs. I just
> want to be able to run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the
> closest I can come to doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that
> requires creating the full HTML for the page.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:17:28 PM

It doesn't really. There are defualt HTML in any htm file. All you need is
the script:

<script>
var pi = 0;
// algorithm
document.write{''+'</br>');
// again
</script>

The other HTML tags will be put in automatically.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o x#9lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
system.
> You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on and run
it.
> There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I wish to test
but
> currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My question is: is
> there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't want to install
> full blown system that actually creates programs. I just want to be able
> run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come
> doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires creating the
> full HTML for the page.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:14:53 PM

XP can do

vbscript
jscript
cmd script
Assembler

and with the .NET framework installed

C.NET
VB.NET

"Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:o x#9lquaFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating system.
> You could just type any program that you wished to experiment on and run it.
> There are times that I have a mathematical algorism that I wish to test but
> currently computers don't have a simple way to do it. My question is: is
> there a way to write simple programs and run them? I don't want to install a
> full blown system that actually creates programs. I just want to be able to
> run simple routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come to
> doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires creating the
> full HTML for the page.

June 9, 2005 7:34:12 PM

Dennis Marks wrote:
>> ... personal computers had "basic" built into them as the operating
>> system. You could just type any program that you wished to
>> experiment on and run it. There are times that I have a mathematical
>> algorism that I wish to test but currently computers don't have a
>> simple way to do it. My question is: is there a way to write simple
>> programs and run them? I don't want to install a full blown system
>> that actually creates programs. I just want to be able to run simple
>> routines such as calculating pi. About the closest I can come to
>> doing what I want is to create a JavaScript but that requires
>> creating the full HTML for the page.

Forget VBScript.

1. You can use JScript [JavaScript] with the WSH [Windows Scripting Host].

2. You can also download and install the C# compiler for free:

http://www.netspade.com/articles/csharp/compilers.xml

This is an excellent option as you can leverage the power of a full blown
and native programming language for Windows.

or better yet go ahead and blow a few bucks ..

3. You can get yourself a copy of the Visual IDE for C# at a relatively
reasonable price. Here's the MSDN site but you can probably do better
price-wise:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vcsharp/default.aspx
!