Will not boot to desktop

Windows XP Home SP2

Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]

Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.

will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode all
result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.

I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows

Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my computers.

spyware folders include FLEOK

RAM diags passed

HDD diags pending

I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one fo
my computers.

Your guidance is appreciated.

WC
12 answers Last reply
More about will boot desktop

    If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up to go to desktop or
    directly to system restore, click the No button, and try selecting a system restore point
    from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode, but can get the menu
    screen when you press the F8 key before the Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and
    then try to run system restore from the command prompt by typing:

    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

    then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date prior to the problem.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows XP Home SP2
    >
    > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
    >
    > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    >
    > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode all
    > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
    >
    > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    >
    > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my computers.
    >
    > spyware folders include FLEOK
    >
    > RAM diags passed
    >
    > HDD diags pending
    >
    > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one fo
    > my computers.
    >
    > Your guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > WC

    TC:
    Thanks, but that is an insurmountable "If". It will not boot to safe mode,
    nor to safe mode command prompt.

    WC

    Wiley C wrote:

    > TC:
    > Thanks, but that is an insurmountable "If". It will not boot to safe
    > mode, nor to safe mode command prompt.
    >
    > WC
    >
    > "t.cruise" wrote:
    >
    >> If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up
    >> to go to desktop or directly to system restore, click the No button,
    >> and try selecting a system restore point
    >> from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode,
    >> but can get the menu screen when you press the F8 key before the
    >> Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and then try to run system
    >> restore from the command prompt by typing:
    >>
    >> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    >>
    >> then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date
    >> prior to the problem. --
    >>
    >> T.C.
    >> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    >> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    >>

    >> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Windows XP Home SP2
    >> >
    >> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups,
    >> > et al ]
    >> >
    >> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    >> >
    >> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe
    >> > mode all result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an
    >> > option to disable automatic reboot after failure. I selected this,
    >> > but the problem persists.
    >> >
    >> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the
    >> > PC rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    >> >
    >> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    >> > computers.
    >> >
    >> > spyware folders include FLEOK
    >> >
    >> > RAM diags passed
    >> >
    >> > HDD diags pending
    >> >
    >> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved
    >> > into one fo my computers.
    >> >
    >> > Your guidance is appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > WC

    Since you've already retrieved your data, you could try

    1. Doing some antivirus/malware scanning with a Bart's PE;
    2. Once the machine is cleaned up with Bart's do a Repair Install;
    3. If #1 and 2 don't work, flatten the system and start over. I usually
    delete the partition and then format it when I do a clean install.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke:
    Thanks for the response.
    1. Already scanned at panda & trend micro, & natively with Norton.
    2. & 3. I'd like to avoid that.

    XP is hard to breake, but once broken, it is very hard to fix.

    WC

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Wiley C wrote:
    >
    > > TC:
    > > Thanks, but that is an insurmountable "If". It will not boot to safe
    > > mode, nor to safe mode command prompt.
    > >
    > > WC
    > >
    > > "t.cruise" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up
    > >> to go to desktop or directly to system restore, click the No button,
    > >> and try selecting a system restore point
    > >> from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode,
    > >> but can get the menu screen when you press the F8 key before the
    > >> Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and then try to run system
    > >> restore from the command prompt by typing:
    > >>
    > >> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    > >>
    > >> then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date
    > >> prior to the problem. --
    > >>
    > >> T.C.
    > >> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    > >> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    > >>

    > >> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Since you've already retrieved your data, you could try
    >
    > 1. Doing some antivirus/malware scanning with a Bart's PE;
    > 2. Once the machine is cleaned up with Bart's do a Repair Install;
    > 3. If #1 and 2 don't work, flatten the system and start over. I usually
    > delete the partition and then format it when I do a clean install.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi Wiley,

    Get into the BIOS and set your system to boot from CD. Once done, do a
    repair install:

    Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
    about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
    contact your computer manufacturer.

    Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
    drive, and then restart your computer.

    (You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run
    WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

    When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
    screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

    When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
    press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

    At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
    displayed. Do not select this option.

    On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
    license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is
    selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP. Follow
    the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

    Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows XP Home SP2
    >
    > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
    >
    > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    >
    > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
    > all
    > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
    >
    > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    >
    > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    > computers.
    >
    > spyware folders include FLEOK
    >
    > RAM diags passed
    >
    > HDD diags pending
    >
    > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
    > fo
    > my computers.
    >
    > Your guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > WC

    Kelly:
    Thanks for the response.

    As I've noted in my replies to Malke & Pegasus, I'd like to avoid that. But
    it may be the only alternative.

    WC

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Hi Wiley,
    >
    > Get into the BIOS and set your system to boot from CD. Once done, do a
    > repair install:
    >
    > Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
    > about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
    > contact your computer manufacturer.
    >
    > Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
    > drive, and then restart your computer.
    >
    > (You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run
    > WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)
    >
    > When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
    > screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
    >
    > When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
    > press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    >
    > At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
    > displayed. Do not select this option.
    >
    > On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
    > license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is
    > selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP. Follow
    > the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
    >
    > Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP Home SP2
    > >
    > > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
    > >
    > > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    > >
    > > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
    > > all
    > > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    > > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
    > >
    > > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    > > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    > >
    > > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    > > computers.
    > >
    > > spyware folders include FLEOK
    > >
    > > RAM diags passed
    > >
    > > HDD diags pending
    > >
    > > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
    > > fo
    > > my computers.
    > >
    > > Your guidance is appreciated.
    > >
    > > WC

    Most welcome, Wiley. However, please note that a repair install is nothing
    like a format or clean reinstall. You will only forfeit a couple of updates,
    if any. Good luck, either way.

    --

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et
    >> > al ]
    >> >
    >> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    >> >
    >> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
    >> > all
    >> > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    >> > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem
    >> > persists.
    >> >
    >> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    >> > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    >> >
    >> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    >> > computers.
    >> >
    >> > spyware folders include FLEOK
    >> >
    >> > RAM diags passed
    >> >
    >> > HDD diags pending
    >> >
    >> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into

    Kelly:
    Thanks for your re-assurance. Yes, I am aware that a format is not
    involved. In previous situations where I've had to perform a repair install,
    I've had to re-install Office & several other programs. The PC came with XP
    SP0, so I'll have to content with the SP2 issues as well. A re-format,
    install, upgrade to SP2 then install the programs may be the best way to go.

    Thanks again.

    WC

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Most welcome, Wiley. However, please note that a repair install is nothing
    > like a format or clean reinstall. You will only forfeit a couple of updates,
    > if any. Good luck, either way.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Kelly:
    > > Thanks for the response.
    > >
    > > As I've noted in my replies to Malke & Pegasus, I'd like to avoid that.
    > > But
    > > it may be the only alternative.
    > >
    > > WC
    > >
    > > "Kelly" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Wiley,
    > >>
    > >> Get into the BIOS and set your system to boot from CD. Once done, do a
    > >> repair install:
    > >>
    > >> Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
    > >> information
    > >> about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
    > >> contact your computer manufacturer.
    > >>
    > >> Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or
    > >> DVD-ROM
    > >> drive, and then restart your computer.
    > >>
    > >> (You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and
    > >> run
    > >> WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)
    > >>
    > >> When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
    > >> screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
    > >>
    > >> When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup
    > >> screen,
    > >> press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    > >>
    > >> At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
    > >> displayed. Do not select this option.
    > >>
    > >> On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
    > >> license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP
    > >> is
    > >> selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
    > >> Follow
    > >> the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
    > >>
    > >> Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> All the Best,
    > >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    > >>
    > >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > >>

    > >> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You are most welcome, Wiley. But not necessarily. Run the repair install
    and take it from there. Either way, hope you get it all working soon. :o)

    --

    > Kelly:
    > Thanks for your re-assurance. Yes, I am aware that a format is not
    > involved. In previous situations where I've had to perform a repair
    > install,
    > I've had to re-install Office & several other programs. The PC came with
    > XP
    > SP0, so I'll have to content with the SP2 issues as well. A re-format,
    > install, upgrade to SP2 then install the programs may be the best way to
    > go.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > WC
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Most welcome, Wiley. However, please note that a repair install is
    >> nothing
    >> like a format or clean reinstall. You will only forfeit a couple of
    >> updates,
    >> if any. Good luck, either way.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Kelly:
    >> > Thanks for the response.
    >> >
    >> > As I've noted in my replies to Malke & Pegasus, I'd like to avoid that.
    >> > But
    >> > it may be the only alternative.
    >> >
    >> > WC

    "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows XP Home SP2
    >
    > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
    >
    > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    >
    > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
    all
    > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
    >
    > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    >
    > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    computers.

    > spyware folders include FLEOK
    >
    > RAM diags passed
    >
    > HDD diags pending
    >
    > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
    fo
    > my computers.
    >
    > Your guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > WC

    Try booting the machine with your Win2000 CD, then select Repair.

    If this does not fix the problem, boot with the CD again, then install
    WinXP over the top of the existing installation.

    Thanks for the response.

    Why Windows 2000 if this is a Win XP SP2 box?

    WC

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP Home SP2
    > >
    > > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
    > >
    > > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    > >
    > > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
    > all
    > > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    > > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
    > >
    > > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    > > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    > >
    > > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    > computers.
    > >
    > > spyware folders include FLEOK
    > >
    > > RAM diags passed
    > >
    > > HDD diags pending
    > >
    > > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
    > fo
    > > my computers.
    > >
    > > Your guidance is appreciated.
    > >
    > > WC
    >
    > Try booting the machine with your Win2000 CD, then select Repair.
    >
    > If this does not fix the problem, boot with the CD again, then install
    > WinXP over the top of the existing installation.

    .. . . because I was wearing the wrong hat!

    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > Why Windows 2000 if this is a Win XP SP2 box?
    >
    > WC
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Windows XP Home SP2
    > > >
    > > > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et
    al ]

    > > > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
    > > >
    > > > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe
    mode
    > > all
    > > > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
    > > > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem
    persists.

    > > > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
    > > > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
    > > >
    > > > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
    > > computers.
    > > >
    > > > spyware folders include FLEOK
    > > >
    > > > RAM diags passed
    > > >
    > > > HDD diags pending
    > > >
    > > > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into
    one
    > > fo
    > > > my computers.
    > > >
    > > > Your guidance is appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > WC
    > >
    > > Try booting the machine with your Win2000 CD, then select Repair.
    > >
    > > If this does not fix the problem, boot with the CD again, then install
    > > WinXP over the top of the existing installation.

Boot Windows XP