Will not boot to desktop

June 6, 2005 9:00:02 PM

Windows XP Home SP2

Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]

Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.

will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode all
result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.

I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows

Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my computers.

spyware folders include FLEOK

RAM diags passed

HDD diags pending

I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one fo
my computers.

Your guidance is appreciated.

WC

More about : boot desktop

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:00:03 PM

If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up to go to desktop or
directly to system restore, click the No button, and try selecting a system restore point
from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode, but can get the menu
screen when you press the F8 key before the Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and
then try to run system restore from the command prompt by typing:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date prior to the problem.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
>
> Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
>
> will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode all
> result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
> automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
>
> I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
> rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
>
> Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my computers.
>
> spyware folders include FLEOK
>
> RAM diags passed
>
> HDD diags pending
>
> I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one fo
> my computers.
>
> Your guidance is appreciated.
>
> WC
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:10:03 PM

TC:
Thanks, but that is an insurmountable "If". It will not boot to safe mode,
nor to safe mode command prompt.

WC

"t.cruise" wrote:

> If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up to go to desktop or
> directly to system restore, click the No button, and try selecting a system restore point
> from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode, but can get the menu
> screen when you press the F8 key before the Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and
> then try to run system restore from the command prompt by typing:
>
> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
>
> then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date prior to the problem.
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP Home SP2
> >
> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
> >
> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
> >
> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode all
> > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
> > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
> >
> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
> > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
> >
> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my computers.
> >
> > spyware folders include FLEOK
> >
> > RAM diags passed
> >
> > HDD diags pending
> >
> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one fo
> > my computers.
> >
> > Your guidance is appreciated.
> >
> > WC

Related resources
June 6, 2005 11:49:40 PM

Wiley C wrote:

> TC:
> Thanks, but that is an insurmountable "If". It will not boot to safe
> mode, nor to safe mode command prompt.
>
> WC
>
> "t.cruise" wrote:
>
>> If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up
>> to go to desktop or directly to system restore, click the No button,
>> and try selecting a system restore point
>> from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode,
>> but can get the menu screen when you press the F8 key before the
>> Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and then try to run system
>> restore from the command prompt by typing:
>>
>> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
>>
>> then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date
>> prior to the problem. --
>>
>> T.C.
>> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
>> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>>

>> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Windows XP Home SP2
>> >
>> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups,
>> > et al ]
>> >
>> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
>> >
>> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe
>> > mode all result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an
>> > option to disable automatic reboot after failure. I selected this,
>> > but the problem persists.
>> >
>> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the
>> > PC rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
>> >
>> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
>> > computers.
>> >
>> > spyware folders include FLEOK
>> >
>> > RAM diags passed
>> >
>> > HDD diags pending
>> >
>> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved
>> > into one fo my computers.
>> >
>> > Your guidance is appreciated.
>> >
>> > WC

Since you've already retrieved your data, you could try

1. Doing some antivirus/malware scanning with a Bart's PE;
2. Once the machine is cleaned up with Bart's do a Repair Install;
3. If #1 and 2 don't work, flatten the system and start over. I usually
delete the partition and then format it when I do a clean install.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke:
Thanks for the response.
1. Already scanned at panda & trend micro, & natively with Norton.
2. & 3. I'd like to avoid that.

XP is hard to breake, but once broken, it is very hard to fix.

WC

"Malke" wrote:

> Wiley C wrote:
>
> > TC:
> > Thanks, but that is an insurmountable "If". It will not boot to safe
> > mode, nor to safe mode command prompt.
> >
> > WC
> >
> > "t.cruise" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are able to get into Safe Mode again, and the option pops up
> >> to go to desktop or directly to system restore, click the No button,
> >> and try selecting a system restore point
> >> from a date prior to the problem. If you cannot boot into Safe Mode,
> >> but can get the menu screen when you press the F8 key before the
> >> Windows XP logo, opt for Command Prompt, and then try to run system
> >> restore from the command prompt by typing:
> >>
> >> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
> >>
> >> then press the Enter key, and follow directions to restore to a date
> >> prior to the problem. --
> >>
> >> T.C.
> >> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> >> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
> >>

> >> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Since you've already retrieved your data, you could try
>
> 1. Doing some antivirus/malware scanning with a Bart's PE;
> 2. Once the machine is cleaned up with Bart's do a Repair Install;
> 3. If #1 and 2 don't work, flatten the system and start over. I usually
> delete the partition and then format it when I do a clean install.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 7, 2005 3:18:34 AM

Hi Wiley,

Get into the BIOS and set your system to boot from CD. Once done, do a
repair install:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
drive, and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run
WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is
selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP. Follow
the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
>
> Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
>
> will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
> all
> result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
> automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
>
> I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
> rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
>
> Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
> computers.
>
> spyware folders include FLEOK
>
> RAM diags passed
>
> HDD diags pending
>
> I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
> fo
> my computers.
>
> Your guidance is appreciated.
>
> WC
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:18:35 AM

Kelly:
Thanks for the response.

As I've noted in my replies to Malke & Pegasus, I'd like to avoid that. But
it may be the only alternative.

WC

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Wiley,
>
> Get into the BIOS and set your system to boot from CD. Once done, do a
> repair install:
>
> Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
> about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
> contact your computer manufacturer.
>
> Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
> drive, and then restart your computer.
>
> (You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run
> WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)
>
> When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
> screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
>
> When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
> press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
>
> At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
> displayed. Do not select this option.
>
> On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
> license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is
> selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP. Follow
> the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
>
> Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP Home SP2
> >
> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
> >
> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
> >
> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
> > all
> > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
> > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
> >
> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
> > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
> >
> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
> > computers.
> >
> > spyware folders include FLEOK
> >
> > RAM diags passed
> >
> > HDD diags pending
> >
> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
> > fo
> > my computers.
> >
> > Your guidance is appreciated.
> >
> > WC

June 7, 2005 4:05:58 AM

Most welcome, Wiley. However, please note that a repair install is nothing
like a format or clean reinstall. You will only forfeit a couple of updates,
if any. Good luck, either way.

--

> [...]
>> >
>> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et
>> > al ]
>> >
>> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
>> >
>> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
>> > all
>> > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
>> > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem
>> > persists.
>> >
>> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
>> > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
>> >
>> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
>> > computers.
>> >
>> > spyware folders include FLEOK
>> >
>> > RAM diags passed
>> >
>> > HDD diags pending
>> >
>> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:05:59 AM

Kelly:
Thanks for your re-assurance. Yes, I am aware that a format is not
involved. In previous situations where I've had to perform a repair install,
I've had to re-install Office & several other programs. The PC came with XP
SP0, so I'll have to content with the SP2 issues as well. A re-format,
install, upgrade to SP2 then install the programs may be the best way to go.

Thanks again.

WC

"Kelly" wrote:

> Most welcome, Wiley. However, please note that a repair install is nothing
> like a format or clean reinstall. You will only forfeit a couple of updates,
> if any. Good luck, either way.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kelly:
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > As I've noted in my replies to Malke & Pegasus, I'd like to avoid that.
> > But
> > it may be the only alternative.
> >
> > WC
> >
> > "Kelly" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Wiley,
> >>
> >> Get into the BIOS and set your system to boot from CD. Once done, do a
> >> repair install:
> >>
> >> Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
> >> information
> >> about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
> >> contact your computer manufacturer.
> >>
> >> Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or
> >> DVD-ROM
> >> drive, and then restart your computer.
> >>
> >> (You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and
> >> run
> >> WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)
> >>
> >> When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
> >> screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
> >>
> >> When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup
> >> screen,
> >> press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
> >>
> >> At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
> >> displayed. Do not select this option.
> >>
> >> On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
> >> license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP
> >> is
> >> selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
> >> Follow
> >> the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
> >>
> >> Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> All the Best,
> >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >>

> >> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 7, 2005 5:22:58 AM

You are most welcome, Wiley. But not necessarily. Run the repair install
and take it from there. Either way, hope you get it all working soon. :o )

--

> Kelly:
> Thanks for your re-assurance. Yes, I am aware that a format is not
> involved. In previous situations where I've had to perform a repair
> install,
> I've had to re-install Office & several other programs. The PC came with
> XP
> SP0, so I'll have to content with the SP2 issues as well. A re-format,
> install, upgrade to SP2 then install the programs may be the best way to
> go.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> WC
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Most welcome, Wiley. However, please note that a repair install is
>> nothing
>> like a format or clean reinstall. You will only forfeit a couple of
>> updates,
>> if any. Good luck, either way.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Kelly:
>> > Thanks for the response.
>> >
>> > As I've noted in my replies to Malke & Pegasus, I'd like to avoid that.
>> > But
>> > it may be the only alternative.
>> >
>> > WC

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:55:20 PM

"Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
>
> Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
>
> will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
all
> result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
> automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
>
> I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
> rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
>
> Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
computers.

> spyware folders include FLEOK
>
> RAM diags passed
>
> HDD diags pending
>
> I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
fo
> my computers.
>
> Your guidance is appreciated.
>
> WC

Try booting the machine with your Win2000 CD, then select Repair.

If this does not fix the problem, boot with the CD again, then install
WinXP over the top of the existing installation.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:55:21 PM

Thanks for the response.

Why Windows 2000 if this is a Win XP SP2 box?

WC

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP Home SP2
> >
> > Problem began after spyware appeared [ hijacking, unwanted popups, et al ]
> >
> > Boots to Windows XP Splash screen, then reboots, spontaneously.
> >
> > will not boot into Windows; normal, "last known good config", safe mode
> all
> > result in spontaneous re-boot. At one re-boot was an option to disable
> > automatic reboot after failure. I selected this, but the problem persists.
> >
> > I got into safe mode once, double left clicked on HJT 1.99.1 & the PC
> > rebooted. Now, it will not boot into Windows
> >
> > Lots of spyware & trojans; diagnosed by slaving HDD into 1 of my
> computers.
> >
> > spyware folders include FLEOK
> >
> > RAM diags passed
> >
> > HDD diags pending
> >
> > I harvested the important data to a DVD, when the HDD was slaved into one
> fo
> > my computers.
> >
> > Your guidance is appreciated.
> >
> > WC
>
> Try booting the machine with your Win2000 CD, then select Repair.
>
> If this does not fix the problem, boot with the CD again, then install
> WinXP over the top of the existing installation.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:36:04 PM

.. . . because I was wearing the wrong hat!

!