Dual Boot WinME and WinXP

A friend is getting a her PC upgraded (New 120Gb HD, Motherboard, CPU) and
needs to dual boot.
WinME is required to run a lot of software that WinXP will not handle
gracefully :-)
The "shop" is reluctant to use third party partitioning software (Partition
Magic), but have said they will partition and install WinME and WinXP for
her.
If they use Win9x to FDISK to partition as she requires (All FAT32):
1. WinME - 20 Gb
2. WinXP - 30 Gb
3. Data - 70 Gb
Can WinME and WinXP be on "C" Drive (hidden from each other, like PM8 does)
?
(One of her 20 Gb hard drives will used as a second "D" drive)
What I have read, so far, indicates that not using third party partitioning
may result in :
C = WinME
E = WinXP
F = Data
D = 2nd Hard Drive (Backup/Data)
(If, C and E are not hidden from each other, using Windows Explorer could be
dangerous)
7 answers Last reply
More about dual boot winme winxp

    I used to dual boot and my setup was similar to what you are proposing.The
    way to set it up is to install ME onto the C drive and then from within ME
    install XP as a new installation onto the E partition of C.XP will detect ME
    and setup the dual boot without seperate boot loader.XP will also overwrite
    the MBR of the C drive so it can never be formatted or you will lose the
    ability to boot at all without doing a repair installation.I also had 2
    seperate partitons for ME and XP programs/data because what ever program you
    need to run under both needs to be installed under both OS and if you ever
    decide to just use XP its a lot easier to just format the ME program
    partition.If you format C as fat32 and E as NTFS ME cannot see E but XP can
    see all.
    When you boot you will be given a choice of which OS to start with ..ME or
    XP.Whichever one you use is the desktop you will see.If its ME you will see
    only the ME desktop and its programs.....not the XP stuff unless you
    deliberately go to the E drive and try to run XP program under
    Explorer....but the ME cant see a NTFS drive.The same thing if you start
    with XP..you will get the XP desktop and its programs BUT here you can see
    the C drive.
    hope this helps
    peterk

    the problem
    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >A friend is getting a her PC upgraded (New 120Gb HD, Motherboard, CPU) and
    >needs to dual boot.
    > WinME is required to run a lot of software that WinXP will not handle
    > gracefully :-)
    > The "shop" is reluctant to use third party partitioning software
    > (Partition Magic), but have said they will partition and install WinME and
    > WinXP for her.
    > If they use Win9x to FDISK to partition as she requires (All FAT32):
    > 1. WinME - 20 Gb
    > 2. WinXP - 30 Gb
    > 3. Data - 70 Gb
    > Can WinME and WinXP be on "C" Drive (hidden from each other, like PM8
    > does) ?
    > (One of her 20 Gb hard drives will used as a second "D" drive)
    > What I have read, so far, indicates that not using third party
    > partitioning may result in :
    > C = WinME
    > E = WinXP
    > F = Data
    > D = 2nd Hard Drive (Backup/Data)
    > (If, C and E are not hidden from each other, using Windows Explorer could
    > be dangerous)

    Hi,

    MVP's have been using it for years.

    Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    Added info if needed:

    Installing Windows 98 or Me after Installing Windows XP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    How to Install W2K to its own partition. Use a 98 Startup disk and run
    WINNT.EXE from the I386 directory. After 2K is installed, boot with the XP
    CD and at the Setup/Repair screen, choose Repair. In Recovery Console, use
    the following commands:

    1) FIXBOOT, answer Yes
    2) CD \
    3) ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    4) ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    5) ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    6) ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    7) ATTRIB -S NTDETEC.COM
    8) ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    9) COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    10) COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

    In Steps 9 and 10, X is the letter of your CD-Rom drive.

    How to Install W2K to its Own Partition after installing XP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm

    MS-KB: Cannot Start Windows XP After You Install Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283433

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >A friend is getting a her PC upgraded (New 120Gb HD, Motherboard, CPU) and
    >needs to dual boot.
    > WinME is required to run a lot of software that WinXP will not handle
    > gracefully :-)
    > The "shop" is reluctant to use third party partitioning software
    > (Partition Magic), but have said they will partition and install WinME and
    > WinXP for her.
    > If they use Win9x to FDISK to partition as she requires (All FAT32):
    > 1. WinME - 20 Gb
    > 2. WinXP - 30 Gb
    > 3. Data - 70 Gb
    > Can WinME and WinXP be on "C" Drive (hidden from each other, like PM8
    > does) ?
    > (One of her 20 Gb hard drives will used as a second "D" drive)
    > What I have read, so far, indicates that not using third party
    > partitioning may result in :
    > C = WinME
    > E = WinXP
    > F = Data
    > D = 2nd Hard Drive (Backup/Data)
    > (If, C and E are not hidden from each other, using Windows Explorer could
    > be dangerous)

    Thank you, your explanation does help.
    I dual boot WinME/WinXP, however I used Partition Magic/Boot Magic.
    (I can use Win Explorer with impunity as the two OS are on "C" and hidden
    from each other)
    I will have to advise her not to fiddle around in Explorer :-)

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    >I used to dual boot and my setup was similar to what you are proposing.The
    >way to set it up is to install ME onto the C drive and then from within ME
    >install XP as a new installation onto the E partition of C.XP will detect
    >ME and setup the dual boot without seperate boot loader.XP will also
    >overwrite the MBR of the C drive so it can never be formatted or you will
    >lose the ability to boot at all without doing a repair installation.I also
    >had 2 seperate partitons for ME and XP programs/data because what ever
    >program you need to run under both needs to be installed under both OS and
    >if you ever decide to just use XP its a lot easier to just format the ME
    >program partition.If you format C as fat32 and E as NTFS ME cannot see E
    >but XP can see all.
    > When you boot you will be given a choice of which OS to start with ..ME or
    > XP.Whichever one you use is the desktop you will see.If its ME you will
    > see only the ME desktop and its programs.....not the XP stuff unless you
    > deliberately go to the E drive and try to run XP program under
    > Explorer....but the ME cant see a NTFS drive.The same thing if you start
    > with XP..you will get the XP desktop and its programs BUT here you can see
    > the C drive.
    > hope this helps
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    > about the problem
    > "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >>A friend is getting a her PC upgraded (New 120Gb HD, Motherboard, CPU) and
    >>needs to dual boot.
    >> WinME is required to run a lot of software that WinXP will not handle
    >> gracefully :-)
    >> The "shop" is reluctant to use third party partitioning software
    >> (Partition Magic), but have said they will partition and install WinME
    >> and WinXP for her.
    >> If they use Win9x to FDISK to partition as she requires (All FAT32):
    >> 1. WinME - 20 Gb
    >> 2. WinXP - 30 Gb
    >> 3. Data - 70 Gb
    >> Can WinME and WinXP be on "C" Drive (hidden from each other, like PM8
    >> does) ?
    >> (One of her 20 Gb hard drives will used as a second "D" drive)
    >> What I have read, so far, indicates that not using third party
    >> partitioning may result in :
    >> C = WinME
    >> E = WinXP
    >> F = Data
    >> D = 2nd Hard Drive (Backup/Data)
    >> (If, C and E are not hidden from each other, using Windows Explorer could
    >> be dangerous)

    Fdisk will allow you to create 4 primary DOS partitions but it does not
    allow you to hide one from the others, as Partition Magic will allow you to
    do.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    > Thank you, your explanation does help.
    > I dual boot WinME/WinXP, however I used Partition Magic/Boot Magic.
    > (I can use Win Explorer with impunity as the two OS are on "C" and hidden
    > from each other)
    > I will have to advise her not to fiddle around in Explorer :-)
    >
    > "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    >>I used to dual boot and my setup was similar to what you are proposing.The
    >>way to set it up is to install ME onto the C drive and then from within ME
    >>install XP as a new installation onto the E partition of C.XP will detect
    >>ME and setup the dual boot without seperate boot loader.XP will also
    >>overwrite the MBR of the C drive so it can never be formatted or you will
    >>lose the ability to boot at all without doing a repair installation.I also
    >>had 2 seperate partitons for ME and XP programs/data because what ever
    >>program you need to run under both needs to be installed under both OS and
    >>if you ever decide to just use XP its a lot easier to just format the ME
    >>program partition.If you format C as fat32 and E as NTFS ME cannot see E
    >>but XP can see all.
    >> When you boot you will be given a choice of which OS to start with ..ME
    >> or XP.Whichever one you use is the desktop you will see.If its ME you
    >> will see only the ME desktop and its programs.....not the XP stuff unless
    >> you deliberately go to the E drive and try to run XP program under
    >> Explorer....but the ME cant see a NTFS drive.The same thing if you start
    >> with XP..you will get the XP desktop and its programs BUT here you can
    >> see the C drive.
    >> hope this helps
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    >> about the problem
    >> "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >>>A friend is getting a her PC upgraded (New 120Gb HD, Motherboard, CPU)
    >>>and needs to dual boot.
    >>> WinME is required to run a lot of software that WinXP will not handle
    >>> gracefully :-)
    >>> The "shop" is reluctant to use third party partitioning software
    >>> (Partition Magic), but have said they will partition and install WinME
    >>> and WinXP for her.
    >>> If they use Win9x to FDISK to partition as she requires (All FAT32):
    >>> 1. WinME - 20 Gb
    >>> 2. WinXP - 30 Gb
    >>> 3. Data - 70 Gb
    >>> Can WinME and WinXP be on "C" Drive (hidden from each other, like PM8
    >>> does) ?
    >>> (One of her 20 Gb hard drives will used as a second "D" drive)
    >>> What I have read, so far, indicates that not using third party
    >>> partitioning may result in :
    >>> C = WinME
    >>> E = WinXP
    >>> F = Data
    >>> D = 2nd Hard Drive (Backup/Data)
    >>> (If, C and E are not hidden from each other, using Windows Explorer
    >>> could be dangerous)

    XOSL is another boot manager you could use. It lets you
    install any OS on any drive, it lets you hide partitions
    selectively, and it's free.

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > A friend is getting a her PC upgraded (New 120Gb HD, Motherboard, CPU) and
    > needs to dual boot.
    > WinME is required to run a lot of software that WinXP will not handle
    > gracefully :-)
    > The "shop" is reluctant to use third party partitioning software
    (Partition
    > Magic), but have said they will partition and install WinME and WinXP for
    > her.
    > If they use Win9x to FDISK to partition as she requires (All FAT32):
    > 1. WinME - 20 Gb
    > 2. WinXP - 30 Gb
    > 3. Data - 70 Gb
    > Can WinME and WinXP be on "C" Drive (hidden from each other, like PM8
    does)
    > ?
    > (One of her 20 Gb hard drives will used as a second "D" drive)
    > What I have read, so far, indicates that not using third party
    partitioning
    > may result in :
    > C = WinME
    > E = WinXP
    > F = Data
    > D = 2nd Hard Drive (Backup/Data)
    > (If, C and E are not hidden from each other, using Windows Explorer could
    be
    > dangerous)

    Thank you Guys and Lady, things are much clearer now :-)

    > Hi,> MVP's have been using it for years.
    > Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    > Added info if needed:

    Most welcome, thanks for the feedback and hope all goes well for you. :o)

    --

    > Thank you Guys and Lady, things are much clearer now :-)

    >> Fdisk will allow you to create 4 primary DOS partitions but it does not
    >> allow you to hide one from the others, as Partition Magic will allow you
    >> to do.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> XOSL is another boot manager you could use. It lets you
    >> install any OS on any drive, it lets you hide partitions
    >> selectively, and it's free.

    >> Hi,> MVP's have been using it for years.
    >> Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    >> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    >> Added info if needed:

Dual Boot Partition Windows XP