Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 18, 2004 1:16:52 AM

I'm about ready to replace my old monitor, and am trying to decide on some of the 17" LCD's currently out. I'm contemplating the Samsung 172x and 710t, along with the Sony HS74P. I'm a gamer, and I also do photo and video work, so I need a good monitor with good color representation. I'm thinking the Sony wouldn't be the best because of it's latency and reflective screen (although the Xbrite screen does look really nice at first glance). I can't really figure out which Samsung is better. I know the 710 is newer, yet the 172x has a faster response time.

Which one do you guys think is better, and are there any other recommendations you might have for me?

More about : choosing monitor

December 18, 2004 2:47:26 AM

I thought the 710 and 172x both have 12 ms response time?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."
December 18, 2004 5:55:02 AM

Samsung claims 12ms for both monitors, however, if memory serves, the 172x used to be rated at 16ms. Likely they changed the rating to make it look more attractive. The 710 is probably the faster of the two as it is a TN panel, and the 172 is a PVA (Samsung's version of MVA). My experience is that the 710 is faster, but the 172 has better viewing angles and color.
Related resources
December 18, 2004 3:16:07 PM

I thought MVA/PVA was suposed to be better than TN?

So TN is faster, but MVA has better viewing angles?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."
December 18, 2004 6:19:56 PM

Yes
!