:?: Can I have speakers and a Headset plugged in at once?

June 7, 2005 1:36:05 AM

Ok, so I have my headset plugged in right now as I speak. I tried when
I first got it plugging it into the labeled but not color coded jacks
at the front and it did not work, so I have unplugged the speakers and
plugged in 1 of 2 of the headset cords into the spot where it was.

I have the volume out plugged in to the proper color and the
microphone in plugged in to the proper colored jack as well, and it
works fine and dandy.

Anyhow, to the question, Can I somehow have the speakers and headset
plugged in so i can switch back and forth from the computer rather
than getting way into the back of the desk and fooling around with a
mess of wires and stuff. But is there some kind of splittter or
adapter or something i can get to have the speakers and headset
plugged in? I dont have any jacks to plug in my main speaker control
except the 2 that are already plugged into. Any help would greatly
appreciated.

Note: I have a logitech internet chat headset (the one u can change
the color of the earpiece) and I have Justei Speakers

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-speaker...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712913
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:36:06 AM

Doesn't matter. The computer doesn't care. You can get a stereo mini-plug
Y-adapter from any Radio Shack.

Be aware that both will function at the same time (speakers and headphones).
The volume control on the computer will affect both devices at the same
time. Hopefully, you have a volume control on the speakers.

courtney

"Hookjaw" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so I have my headset plugged in right now as I speak. I tried when
> I first got it plugging it into the labeled but not color coded jacks
> at the front and it did not work, so I have unplugged the speakers and
> plugged in 1 of 2 of the headset cords into the spot where it was.
>
> I have the volume out plugged in to the proper color and the
> microphone in plugged in to the proper colored jack as well, and it
> works fine and dandy.
>
> Anyhow, to the question, Can I somehow have the speakers and headset
> plugged in so i can switch back and forth from the computer rather
> than getting way into the back of the desk and fooling around with a
> mess of wires and stuff. But is there some kind of splittter or
> adapter or something i can get to have the speakers and headset
> plugged in? I dont have any jacks to plug in my main speaker control
> except the 2 that are already plugged into. Any help would greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Note: I have a logitech internet chat headset (the one u can change
> the color of the earpiece) and I have Justei Speakers

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-speaker...
June 7, 2005 1:36:07 AM

Courtney wrote:

> Doesn't matter. The computer doesn't care. You can get a stereo
> mini-plug Y-adapter from any Radio Shack.
>
> Be aware that both will function at the same time (speakers and
> headphones). The volume control on the computer will affect both
> devices at the same time. Hopefully, you have a volume control on the
> speakers.
>
> courtney
>
> "Hookjaw" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, so I have my headset plugged in right now as I speak. I tried
>> when I first got it plugging it into the labeled but not color coded
>> jacks at the front and it did not work, so I have unplugged the
>> speakers and plugged in 1 of 2 of the headset cords into the spot
>> where it was.
>>
>> I have the volume out plugged in to the proper color and the
>> microphone in plugged in to the proper colored jack as well, and it
>> works fine and dandy.
>>
>> Anyhow, to the question, Can I somehow have the speakers and headset
>> plugged in so i can switch back and forth from the computer rather
>> than getting way into the back of the desk and fooling around with a
>> mess of wires and stuff. But is there some kind of splittter or
>> adapter or something i can get to have the speakers and headset
>> plugged in? I dont have any jacks to plug in my main speaker control
>> except the 2 that are already plugged into. Any help would greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Note: I have a logitech internet chat headset (the one u can change
>> the color of the earpiece) and I have Justei Speakers

We have a little gizmo switcher from Plantronics. It works with
headphones that normally plug into the sound card, not USB. You plug
your headphone connectors for the headphones/mike into the switcher and
the switcher gets plugged into the sound card. You can then just flip a
switch to change from headphone sound to speaker sound. I don't know if
they make anything like that for headphones that plug in with USB.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

>But is there some kind of splittter or ....

Yes there is and is under $10.00 from Office Depot. Have been using it for
years. Note: For Messenger at least under SP1 you need to end QoS via
Network Connections for Messenger Voice, etc to work.

Good luck!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)