With netbios over tcp disfunctional whats left?

I've been having a continueing get full use out of winxp `computer
browser' service using netbios of tcp. Its come to a point where
solving seems harder than a full reformat and reinstall.

Anyone interested in the problem can view quite a lengthy thread here
under
`Subject: Problem viewing folder and files over tcp/netbui'

(I misued terminology it should say netbios instead of netbui)

In this thread I'm asking a different question. Is there a
comparable networking solution to `My Network Places' (netbios over
tcp) that I could turn too until I get this solved?

The reinstall route may be up the road but I hesitate because of the
way MS and Adobe activation for there sw works. When ever I make
major changes, not necessaryily a reinstall I get prompted from
PhotoshopCS to activate again. It always ends up in timeconsuming
attempts to get someone on the phone and then explaining it all to
them.

I have lots of Adobe software so compound the problem by 6 or so.

Not undoable by no means but definately not something you do unless
its really necessary.

I noticed a setup called `nomachine NX' that sounded promising but its
mostly unix oriented I think. Networking is conducted of ssh/tcp.
http://www.nomachine.com/

What else is there?

Here is an example of something I'd like on windows:

Running linux with kde destop one can use kde browser called
Konqueror. Konqueror speaks smb natively.

It works with urls like:
smb://machine/share/path

Is there a comparable product for windows xp that does not rely on the
underlying netbios setup but maybe relies on tcp only.

I guess this sound pretty confused and desparate but it would be nice
to have an alternative networking solution. Maybe something very like
ftp with more priviledges or the like.

In fact, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to setup a whole OS as an
ftp site. So remote users could do whatever is normally done from
file explorer provided by windows. Or if that is simply not doable.

> I've been having a continueing get full use out of winxp `computer
> browser' service using netbios of tcp. Its come to a point where
> solving seems harder than a full reformat and reinstall.

Egad... lets try that again in english:

I've been having a continuing problem getting full use out of winxp's
`computer browser' service using `netbios over tcp. Its come to a
point where solving that problem seem harder than a full reformat and
reinstall.

> Anyone interested in the problem can view quite a lengthy thread here
> under
> `Subject: Problem viewing folder and files over tcp/netbui'
>
> (I misued terminology it should say netbios instead of netbui)
>
> In this thread I'm asking a different question. Is there a
> comparable networking solution to `My Network Places' (netbios over
> tcp) that I could turn too until I get this solved?
>
> The reinstall route may be up the road but I hesitate because of the
> way MS and Adobe activation for there sw works. When ever I make
> major changes, not necessaryily a reinstall I get prompted from
> PhotoshopCS to activate again. It always ends up in timeconsuming
> attempts to get someone on the phone and then explaining it all to
> them.
>
> I have lots of Adobe software so compound the problem by 6 or so.
>
> Not undoable by no means but definately not something you do unless
> its really necessary.
>
> I noticed a setup called `nomachine NX' that sounded promising but its
> mostly unix oriented I think. Networking is conducted of ssh/tcp.
> http://www.nomachine.com/
>
> What else is there?
>
> Here is an example of something I'd like on windows:
>
> Running linux with kde destop one can use kde browser called
> Konqueror. Konqueror speaks smb natively.
>
> It works with urls like:
> smb://machine/share/path
>
> Is there a comparable product for windows xp that does not rely on the
> underlying netbios setup but maybe relies on tcp only.
>
> I guess this sound pretty confused and desparate but it would be nice
> to have an alternative networking solution. Maybe something very like
> ftp with more priviledges or the like.
>
> In fact, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to setup a whole OS as an
> ftp site. So remote users could do whatever is normally done from
> file explorer provided by windows. Or if that is simply not doable.

Malke

Harry Putnam wrote:

>> I've been having a continueing get full use out of winxp `computer
>> browser' service using netbios of tcp. Its come to a point where
>> solving seems harder than a full reformat and reinstall.
>
> Egad... lets try that again in english:
>
> I've been having a continuing problem getting full use out of winxp's
> `computer browser' service using `netbios over tcp. Its come to a
> point where solving that problem seem harder than a full reformat and
> reinstall.
>
>> Anyone interested in the problem can view quite a lengthy thread here
>> under
>> `Subject: Problem viewing folder and files over tcp/netbui'

(snippage)

I actually read through this long post twice and still don't know what
you want. I remember you had a long thread in the networking group but
not the details, and I'm sorry but I don't want to go searching it out.

What are you asking? How to access computers on a network but not
through Network Places? In case you didn't already get this info, just:

1. Make a folder on your Desktop and call it something like "Network".
Double-click this to have it open (not full screen).

2. Use the Search feature and search for computers on the network. Put
in the name or IP address of the computer you are looking for. After it
is found (it takes a little while), right-click on it and drag to the
open Network folder you just made. Release the right mouse button and
choose "Create shortcut here".

Do #2 for each computer where you want a shortcut. You can remove the
Network Places icon from your desktop by using the "Customize Desktop"
button found in the Display applet. Just use the shortcuts you made
instead.

BTW, KDE does not "speak SMB natively". You have to be running Samba
since SMB is a Windows protocol. For Linux filesystem sharing between
computers, we use NFS - which you also have to set up.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

maybe somebody has an instant answer if you take the time to supply what
your problem is rather than asking everybody to go find some other message
to figure out what the heck you're talking about.

Malke wrote:
> I actually read through this long post twice and still don't know what
> you want.

Well, its pretty clear I'm confused about it too.

> I remember you had a long thread in the networking group but
> not the details, and I'm sorry but I don't want to go searching it out.

I didn't ask nor mean for you to. Like I said it was put there for
any interested party who wanted to know about that problem. And the
thread subject I cited is in this group.

This post is about trying something different from what that thread
was about, which was analyzing and fixing a nagging netbios over tcp
problem.

Here I'm asking what alternatives there are to netbios over tcp.

As I said:

> In this thread I'm asking a different question. Is there a
> comparable networking solution to `My Network Places' (netbios over
> tcp) that I could turn too until I get this solved?

> What are you asking? How to access computers on a network but not
> through Network Places? In case you didn't already get this info, just:

No, and my formulation was pretty cloudy, sorry.

I'm asking how to access computers on a network without involving
netbios over tcp.

> 1. Make a folder on your Desktop and call it something like "Network".
> Double-click this to have it open (not full screen).

Again thanks for the step thru and actually that would and does help
somewhat but since it too is based on the windows netbios protocol
over tcp. It fails for me in the same way but not at the same spot.

That is, at some level of folder hiearachy files and subfolders become
invisible when viewed from another winxp pro machine on the lan. Any
one of 3 others. But again I'm not aiming to rediscuss that here.

There was quite an extensive discussion which you participated in
about it on microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Subject: Home lan puzzler

that ended in a sort of dead end or at least no solution was found.

And still another lengthy thread on this group cited above.

Thats why I'm asking in this thread about alternatives to using the
windows protocols with `computer browser' service that underlies
netbios.

And you have answered that too. NFS. I had forgotten all about
that. I've set it up several times between unix machines.

Malke wrote:

> BTW, KDE does not "speak SMB natively". You have to be running Samba
> since SMB is a Windows protocol. For Linux filesystem sharing
> between computers, we use NFS - which you also have to set up.

Yes you are right and again it shows my confusion.

Is it possible or better yet, is it usefull to setup NFS between windows
machines? Have you done or seen it done?

Malke

Harry Putnam wrote:

>> Is it possible or better yet, is it usefull to setup NFS between
>> windows
>> machines? Have you done or seen it done?
>
> Malke, I found some answers ... Microsofts free download of
> Services for unix 3.5:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/downloads/default.mspx

I have heard of Services for Unix but have never used them. I use Samba
in my mixed os network and it works perfectly. I don't think you can
use NFS for Windows because it isn't a Windows protocol. I don't know
why you can't do your networking over TCP/IP. I wish I could remember
exactly all the ins and outs of the long thread in the networking
group, but I think I probably ended with the same suggestion I'm going
to make to you now: get a knowledgeable friend (and he should really be
knowledgeable, not just *say* he is) OR a professional to come and look
at your setup. You've been struggling with this for a long time and it
is probably something that someone on-site is going to be able to solve
far better than in a newsgroup. Please understand I'm not saying this
to be hurtful to you in any way - I'm just being practical.

Best of luck to you,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke <invalid@not-real.com> writes:

[...]

> I have heard of Services for Unix but have never used them. I use Samba
> in my mixed os network and it works perfectly.

Samba works perfectly here too. But I'm not having trouble with
linux to windows, its windows to windows where trouble begins.

> I don't think you can
> use NFS for Windows because it isn't a Windows protocol.

Just reading some of the docu about, it appears something in the unix
tools will allow me to do that. I haven't tried it yet though.

> I don't know
> why you can't do your networking over TCP/IP.

Its not a problem of tcp/ip. That all works as expected. Its the
netbios (computer browser service). That is my problem. Briefly put:

(See this thread if you want to):
One problem machine running winxp pro sp/2 doesn't showup in Network
places. Browsing that machine from my other 2 winxp pro boxes works
but quits working at about 2 levels deep in some file heiarchies.

Using you method of creating shortcuts can make some of those seeable
but still others deeper are invisible.

Changing the name of the last visible diretory from the remote, will
make its contents viewable for that session of file Explorer. But
open a new explorer and its invisible again.

By `stops working', I mean some files and subdirectories are invisible
to the remote doing the viewing. This seem to be random, nothing
seems out of line share wise or permissions wise. Both you and Chuck
who posts alot on m.s.p.network_web group walked me thru all
diagnostics we could think off. Including Chucks Cdiag.
We used browstat and net view but found no problems apparent.

I saw your advice about getting someone to look but I'm pretty
satisfied it is not something apparent. Maybe a quirk involving sp/2
or some such.

[...]
> . . . . . . . . . . . Please understand I'm not saying this
> to be hurtful to you in any way - I'm just being practical.

You've been nothing but helpfull. Thank you.

reader@newsguy.com writes:

[...]

> [...]

Sorry Malke, I was trying to get the news type url to the exact thread
but mailed the message prematurely instead.