saileshz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure what's causing my PC to randomly freeze up.
I just bought a 256 MB SDRAM and installed it. When I boot the PC up, it recognises the memory total =512 MB but once I start working on Windows for a while, the PC freezes and only the Reset button works.
The only thing I can think of is that the new chip is a single sided DIMMS where as the older ones are double sided. But if this was the reason, how come all of 512 MB gets recognised successfully at boot up. Its only after I start using the PC for a while that it freezes unexpectedly.

Strange..

Your help will be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Could be a bad module, lots of those are floating around.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I'm having the same problem (thats why I came to this forum). After messing around with drivers, I gave up and decided to reformat/reinstall. Would'nt let me, said insufficient memory. Like you I've got 512mb, and it shows at boot too. So I'm sitting down to run memtest86. You may wish too as well. If you don't already have it go here:
<A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/#commands" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com/#commands</A>

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

kindreded

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2003
First, try removing that stick you just added and see if the problem goes away. If not, powersupply is usually the culprit of random freezes. There is also a memory tester availible from Microsoft at
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Make sure that you enable all the tests. and let it run about 10 passes. The tester is a bootable floppy.

Computers allow humans to make mistakes faster then any other invention with the possible exception of hand guns and Tequila

saileshz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your responses.

The problem was due to my old chips' incompatibility with the new RAM chip which was single sided. I removed the new chip and everything worked fine. I guess I'll go get a substitute double sided chip and hope that works.

Thanks again,
Sailesh.

saileshz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Hello again,

Very strange things happening in my PC. I exchanged the single sided chip with a double sided one but my PC FROZE!, it does the count at bootup successfully but after a minute or two of logging on, it just freezes!, does anyone know why this might be happening?

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Post your system specs, then one of the guru's here can prolly help. Sounds to me like you still got a ram incompatibility problem though.

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

saileshz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
hi all,

No I don't have Kazaa.

Its an Epox mainboard with Intel 815EP chipset. The mainboard spec clearly says it supports 512MB RAM so this shouldn't be the cause.

May be it's a bad slot, as suggested, I'll try one of the working chips in this slot and see if that works.

Thanks for the feedback guys.