User Profiles after reinstalling domain controller

June 6, 2005 11:21:02 PM

We have upgraded a NT 4.0 Domain with a clean install of 2003 Server. We
only have a single server so the few computer accounts and users that need to
be readded back into the domain. My question is that after adding the user
and workstation into the 2003 server, when the user logs into their
workstation, they get a different profile and thus their files store in my
documents, etc are under the old profile "account unknown'. Is there a way
to simply reconnect the original profile to the new user? Is it a registry
entry that could be changed, or should I just copy the folders in the
'Documents and Settings' folder?

Thanks for any help
June 6, 2005 11:59:27 PM

Art wrote:

> We have upgraded a NT 4.0 Domain with a clean install of 2003 Server.
> We only have a single server so the few computer accounts and users
> that need to
> be readded back into the domain. My question is that after adding the
> user and workstation into the 2003 server, when the user logs into
> their workstation, they get a different profile and thus their files
> store in my
> documents, etc are under the old profile "account unknown'. Is there
> a way
> to simply reconnect the original profile to the new user? Is it a
> registry entry that could be changed, or should I just copy the
> folders in the 'Documents and Settings' folder?
>
> Thanks for any help

Here are my notes of MVP Torgeir Bakken's solution to this. I'm not sure
which part will help you the most, so here is the whole thing. It was

>Scenario:
> I have several machines that are currently running in workgroup mode
>or an existing domain to which I do not have access to. I have access
>to the local administrator password on each machine. I need to bring
>these machines into a new SBS2003 Domain. In doing so each user will
>be created a new local profile based on their new logon.
>
> I am having trouble finding the right tool(s) that will allow me to
>migrate their old profile settings from the profile located on their
>XP Pro Workstation, to their new logon profile. I have looked at ADMT
>and it does not look right. USMT looks right but it looks like its
>used to migrate pre XP workstations to XP.

Torgeir:

We solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for the new
user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user needs to log
on at least once first).

From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%...

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Re: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win20...

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045

HTH,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Art" <Art@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have upgraded a NT 4.0 Domain with a clean install of 2003 Server. We
> only have a single server so the few computer accounts and users that need
> be readded back into the domain. My question is that after adding the
user
> and workstation into the 2003 server, when the user logs into their
> workstation, they get a different profile and thus their files store in my
> documents, etc are under the old profile "account unknown'. Is there a
way
> to simply reconnect the original profile to the new user? Is it a
registry
> entry that could be changed, or should I just copy the folders in the
> 'Documents and Settings' folder?
>
> Thanks for any help

Copying the files and folders across is probably the simplest method.
!