Halo PC -- Load Times

About six months ago I got Halo PC as a gift from a friend. At the
time, when I tried to install it, I was given an error message telling
me that it could only be installed on Windows 98, Windows 2000, or
Windows XP. Since I was, in fact, running Windows 2000 at the time I
was left scratching my head. I tried contacting Microsoft's customer
support, but they wanted the Product ID... and the only way to get the
Product ID is to install and run the game. (Tangentially, running a
technical support department that can't help people having problems
installing and/or running the product is incredibly stupid.)

So, sans receipt, I stuck the game in a box and moved onto something
that I could actually install.

Recently, however, I picked up Halo 2 and loved it. And at the same
time I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 2000 on a new hard
drive. Thinking that the clean install might've cleared up whatever
problem Halo PC was having, I pulled it out of the box and loaded it
up. And it did, in fact, install.

But now I've got another problem. I'm running:

AMD Athlon XP 2200
512MB RAM
GeForce 4 MX 440 (64 MB)

It's not a top of the line system by any stretch of the imagination,
but it's well above the Minimum Specs for Halo. I've got the latest
drivers for the GeForce and I've got Halo patched up to the most recent
release.

The problem I'm having is load times: Once a level or cut-scene has
loaded, it generally runs just fine. But it's taking 5-10 minutes for
cut-scenes or new levels to load and 2-5 minutes for mid-level loads.
And sometimes it will just freeze up and crash in the middle of these
long loads.

I've done some thorough Google and Google Groups searches, but I
haven't found anything to help me. Anybody have any thoughts on what I
can do to fix this problem?

Justin Bacon
triad3204@aol.com
3 answers Last reply
More about halo load times

    Hi Justin,

    When you run the setup.exe program on the HALO CD it
    immediately shows you the Product ID in the top right corner
    with the words "This is you Microsoft Product ID" below it. :-)

    The GeForce MX 440 card is not very powerful, and cannot
    render all the graphics that recent games like Halo produce.

    This would be a good time to update your graphics card. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    Jimmy S. wrote:
    > Hi Justin,
    >
    > When you run the setup.exe program on the HALO CD it
    > immediately shows you the Product ID in the top right corner
    > with the words "This is you Microsoft Product ID" below it. :-)

    Which would be a useful tip... except for the fact that the only thing
    that popped up when I ran the setup program was a window stating that I
    needed Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT, or Windows XP to install
    the game. The product ID was nowhere to be seen on that error message.
    The setup program never loaded.

    > The GeForce MX 440 card is not very powerful, and cannot
    > render all the graphics that recent games like Halo produce.

    So, basically, the game is not only unplayable at the minimum specs,
    but it's unplayable with equipment out-stripping the minimum specs by a
    factor of two across the board?

    That's unfortunate. I suppose their motive for lying through their
    teeth is obvious, though.

    Justin Bacon
    triad3204@aol.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Justin,

    I'm playing HALO on my Ti4200 just fine! :-)
    It's not going to play as well on a card which is far inferior...
    HOWEVER it will work, therefore your "load times".

    I'm glad I was able to help you find the Product ID. :-)

    --

    "Justin Bacon" <triad3204@aol.com> wrote in message news:1103276920.176988.81240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

    > Jimmy S. wrote:
    >> Hi Justin,
    >>
    >> When you run the setup.exe program on the HALO CD it
    >> immediately shows you the Product ID in the top right corner
    >> with the words "This is you Microsoft Product ID" below it. :-)
    >
    > Which would be a useful tip... except for the fact that the only thing
    > that popped up when I ran the setup program was a window stating that I
    > needed Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT, or Windows XP to install
    > the game. The product ID was nowhere to be seen on that error message.
    > The setup program never loaded.
    >
    >> The GeForce MX 440 card is not very powerful, and cannot
    >> render all the graphics that recent games like Halo produce.
    >
    > So, basically, the game is not only unplayable at the minimum specs,
    > but it's unplayable with equipment out-stripping the minimum specs by a
    > factor of two across the board?
    >
    > That's unfortunate. I suppose their motive for lying through their
    > teeth is obvious, though.
    >
    > Justin Bacon
    > triad3204@aol.com

Windows 2000 Video Games