Spell scrolls

If I have a spell scroll, can it be used by a character with little or no
mage skill?

I tried to find the answer on Stratics but a as usual, I could not find the
answer. I know it is there but where?

Andrea

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If I have a spell scroll, can it be used by a character with little or no
> mage skill?
>
> I tried to find the answer on Stratics but a as usual, I could not find
> the answer. I know it is there but where?
>
> Andrea

It's a yes and no answer. What scrolls do for you is knock the circle down
by 2. So if you want to use recall scrolls to get your chars around they
need enough magery to cast 2nd level scrolls. (Since recall is a 4th level
spell) In practice if you don't need 100% recall then you can go with as
little as you want.

I'll use Recall as an example:
If you want XXX% Success on recall scrolls you need XX magery

100% 36
85% 30
72.5% 25
60% 20
47.5% 15
35% 10

I'm assuming you don't want to go lower than that. So if getting it right
isn't that important you can go 10mag and still hit it 1/3rd of the time.
Myself I sit about 20 for my non mage chars so that I'm only missing 1/3rd
of the time. That's me though. Once you know that a scroll lowers the
effective circle by 2 you can calculate what the magery/sucess is. I just
used the Stratics calculator and threw in numbers. The link for that is:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/magery.php

Hope that helps, reply ifn't you need more info!

Alminair

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:39:44 -0700, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If I have a spell scroll, can it be used by a character with little or no
>mage skill?
>
>I tried to find the answer on Stratics but a as usual, I could not find the
>answer. I know it is there but where?

IIRC, scrolls give you a +20 bonus to magery effectively. So if you have
20 magery you can use a scroll to cast a level 4 spell. I assume this
means you could use a scroll to cast a 2nd level spell if you had no
magery skill at all. (Not certain if Necromancy scrolls work the same but
I'd guess they do.)

I can't remember if runebook charges operate the same way. Hmmm.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>I can't remember if runebook charges operate the same way. Hmmm.

Come SE, runebook charges will require no magery.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:00:34 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:

>Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I can't remember if runebook charges operate the same way. Hmmm.
>
>Come SE, runebook charges will require no magery.
>
>D.

Yes, but I was trying to remember if casting recall from a runebook was
like casting with a scroll - did it give the +20 bonus as well? I think
so.

No charges? So you won't need magery at all to use them? Is there some
cost involved or will we suddenly see people recalling everywhere like
mad?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:00:34 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>>
>>>I can't remember if runebook charges operate the same way. Hmmm.
>>
>>Come SE, runebook charges will require no magery.
>
>No charges? So you won't need magery at all to use them? Is there some
>cost involved or will we suddenly see people recalling everywhere like
>mad?

You'll still need to 'charge' the runebooks with recall scrolls, but
there is no longer a requirement to have magery.

(The Dev's felt this was easier than adding some from of recall to
Necro *and* Bushido *and* Ninjitsu which would make runebook graphics
even more complex and ugly than they are.)

D.