Copy of Windows XP Home Edition

I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a virus
that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but the
CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
19 answers Last reply
More about copy windows home edition

    If the CD came with the system, from a name brand PC maker (e.g. Dell) it is an OEM
    version of Windows XP. Contact the system maker's customer support, and ask about a
    replacement CD.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "Rioman" <Rioman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
    > 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a virus
    > that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but the
    > CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
    > Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
    > version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
    > 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
    > pay for the shipping and the CD copy.

    No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which virus wiped
    out your entire operating system!

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Rioman wrote:
    > I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version
    > 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a
    > virus that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload
    > the OS but the CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that
    > since I bought the Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask
    > someone who has the same OS version for a copy. Does anyone have
    > 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
    > 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I
    > will pay for the shipping and the CD copy.

    Ask a friend, someone you trust. You never know what you'll get from an
    anonymous person on the web.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Kelly wrote:
    > No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which
    > virus wiped out your entire operating system!

    The human virus, one would suspect.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

    PS theres no such thing as 'somehow' its caused by the user

    kurttrail wrote:
    > Rioman wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
    >>Version
    >>1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a
    >>virus that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload
    >>the OS but the CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that
    >>since I bought the Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask
    >>someone who has the same OS version for a copy. Does anyone have
    >>2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
    >>1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I
    >>will pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
    >

    > Ask a friend, someone you trust. You never know what you'll get from an
    > anonymous person on the web.

    I don't make a habit of this, but I agree with Kurt - borrow one from a
    friend (also try to make sure it's an original, not a copy - less change
    of it having 'other' software on it)

    Kelly wrote:

    > No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which virus wiped
    > out your entire operating system!

    Possibly the VBS.pub worm:

    http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.pub.html

    Steve

    Roman that cannot be done legally.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:
    > Roman that cannot be done legally.

    Why? According to MS's "Shrink-wrap License" THEORY, the license is in
    the Product Key, not the install media.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without the key?
    In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem when verifying with
    Microsoft.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:
    > That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without
    > the key?

    Where did you get the idea that the OP lost or didn't have a valid
    Product Key?

    > In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem
    > when verifying with Microsoft.

    Please explain. Reinstallation on the same hardware is allowed, and
    there is no controversy surrounding it that I'm aware of, unless you've
    heard something I haven't, about MS changing their PA policy. Have you
    heard about some such change?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    George for your info. When you pay, for example $199, for Windows XP home
    edition. You actually pay $197.02 for the license and $1.98 for the CD. So
    as long as you install the software on the same PC that you activated windows
    in, you can always reinstall the software as many times as you wan't.

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without the key?
    > In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem when verifying with
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    > > George Hester wrote:
    > > > Roman that cannot be done legally.
    > >
    > > Why? According to MS's "Shrink-wrap License" THEORY, the license is in
    > > the Product Key, not the install media.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Peace!
    > > Kurt
    > > Self-anointed Moderator
    > > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > > "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    > > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
    1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key."

    "I'm trying to reload the OS but the CD seems to be damaged."

    "I can ask someone who has the same OS version for a copy."

    Good luck using a Product Key for one Os with another. They will have to
    use the Product Key for the Os that someone gives them. And that is the
    issue.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:
    > "I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version
    > 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key."
    >
    > "I'm trying to reload the OS but the CD seems to be damaged."
    >
    > "I can ask someone who has the same OS version for a copy."
    >
    > Good luck using a Product Key for one Os with another.

    He is trying to get an install CD of the SAME OS, he even says so in the
    last quote. Are you purposely being dense, or do you just don't
    understand what the OP is trying to do?

    > They will
    > have to use the Product Key for the Os that someone gives them.

    Not if it is the same kind of CD as the one he already has, but is
    damaged.

    The Product Key will work on any Win XP Home CD, regardless of which
    service pack it has, with one exception. If his PK is from an OEM
    install, then he will need an OEM install CD. If his PK is from a
    Retail Version, then he will need a retail install CD.

    > And
    > that is the issue.

    Quite frankly, George, you have demonstrated that you don't understand
    the issue.

    >> George Hester wrote:
    >>> That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without
    >>> the key?
    >>
    >> Where did you get the idea that the OP lost or didn't have a valid
    >> Product Key?
    >>
    >>> In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem
    >>> when verifying with Microsoft.
    >>
    >> Please explain. Reinstallation on the same hardware is allowed, and
    >> there is no controversy surrounding it that I'm aware of, unless
    >> you've heard something I haven't, about MS changing their PA policy.
    >> Have you heard about some such change?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Seriously, I wish there were one, so I could script the antidote for it.
    :o)

    --

    > Kelly wrote:
    >> No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which
    >> virus wiped out your entire operating system!
    >
    > The human virus, one would suspect.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Thanks, Steve and how interesting is:

    If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will delete all the
    files from the system.

    Notice how it went from 6 to 7 to 8 then back to 7? :o)
    --

    Kelly wrote:
    > Thanks, Steve and how interesting is:
    >
    > If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will delete all the
    > files from the system.
    >
    > Notice how it went from 6 to 7 to 8 then back to 7? :o)

    Yeah, I noticed that pattern, too.

    There have been other viruses and trojans in the past that have deleted
    files and formatted drives, too. Don't recall the names offhand, though.

    Steve

    OK

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    Scary!

    --

    > Kelly wrote:
    >> Thanks, Steve and how interesting is:
    >>
    >> If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will delete all the
    >> files from the system.
    >>
    >> Notice how it went from 6 to 7 to 8 then back to 7? :o)
    >
    > Yeah, I noticed that pattern, too.
    >
    > There have been other viruses and trojans in the past that have deleted
    > files and formatted drives, too. Don't recall the names offhand, though.
    >
    > Steve

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom