Copy of Windows XP Home Edition

June 7, 2005 2:41:01 AM

I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a virus
that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but the
CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:31:36 AM

If the CD came with the system, from a name brand PC maker (e.g. Dell) it is an OEM
version of Windows XP. Contact the system maker's customer support, and ask about a
replacement CD.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Rioman" <Rioman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
> 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a virus
> that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but the
> CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
> Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
> version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
> 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
> pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
June 7, 2005 5:20:36 AM

No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which virus wiped
out your entire operating system!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Rioman" <Rioman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
> 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a
> virus
> that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but
> the
> CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
> Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
> version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
> 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
> pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
June 7, 2005 7:23:03 AM

Rioman wrote:
> I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
> Version
> 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a
> virus that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload
> the OS but the CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that
> since I bought the Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask
> someone who has the same OS version for a copy. Does anyone have
> 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
> 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I
> will pay for the shipping and the CD copy.

Ask a friend, someone you trust. You never know what you'll get from an
anonymous person on the web.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Kelly wrote:
> No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which
> virus wiped out your entire operating system!

The human virus, one would suspect.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
June 7, 2005 1:25:53 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

PS theres no such thing as 'somehow' its caused by the user

"Rioman" <Rioman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
Version
> 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a
virus
> that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but
the
> CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
> Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
> version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
> 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
> pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:03:24 PM

kurttrail wrote:
> Rioman wrote:
>
>>I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
>>Version
>>1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a
>>virus that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload
>>the OS but the CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that
>>since I bought the Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask
>>someone who has the same OS version for a copy. Does anyone have
>>2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
>>1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I
>>will pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
>

> Ask a friend, someone you trust. You never know what you'll get from an
> anonymous person on the web.

I don't make a habit of this, but I agree with Kurt - borrow one from a
friend (also try to make sure it's an original, not a copy - less change
of it having 'other' software on it)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:09:01 PM

Kelly wrote:

> No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which virus wiped
> out your entire operating system!

Possibly the VBS.pub worm:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.pub.html

Steve
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:06:42 PM

Roman that cannot be done legally.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Rioman" <Rioman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48A69318-5892-4A5C-A9B8-9B3DF62D09A3@microsoft.com...
> I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
> 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key. I some how got a virus
> that erased my entire hard drive and now I'm trying to reload the OS but the
> CD seems to be damaged. I was told by a pc CE that since I bought the
> Windows XP product key back in 2002, I can ask someone who has the same OS
> version for a copy. Does anyone have 2002 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION VERSION
> 1.0 WITH NO SERVICE PACKS that can make a copy and send me the CD? I will
> pay for the shipping and the CD copy.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:33:15 PM

George Hester wrote:
> Roman that cannot be done legally.

Why? According to MS's "Shrink-wrap License" THEORY, the license is in
the Product Key, not the install media.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:25:43 PM

That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without the key?
In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem when verifying with
Microsoft.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> George Hester wrote:
> > Roman that cannot be done legally.
>
> Why? According to MS's "Shrink-wrap License" THEORY, the license is in
> the Product Key, not the install media.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:43:05 PM

George Hester wrote:
> That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without
> the key?

Where did you get the idea that the OP lost or didn't have a valid
Product Key?

> In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem
> when verifying with Microsoft.

Please explain. Reinstallation on the same hardware is allowed, and
there is no controversy surrounding it that I'm aware of, unless you've
heard something I haven't, about MS changing their PA policy. Have you
heard about some such change?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
June 8, 2005 12:54:01 AM

George for your info. When you pay, for example $199, for Windows XP home
edition. You actually pay $197.02 for the license and $1.98 for the CD. So
as long as you install the software on the same PC that you activated windows
in, you can always reinstall the software as many times as you wan't.

"George Hester" wrote:

> That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without the key?
> In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem when verifying with
> Microsoft.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
> > George Hester wrote:
> > > Roman that cannot be done legally.
> >
> > Why? According to MS's "Shrink-wrap License" THEORY, the license is in
> > the Product Key, not the install media.
> >
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Kurt
> > Self-anointed Moderator
> > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> > "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:31:51 AM

"I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition Version
1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key."

"I'm trying to reload the OS but the CD seems to be damaged."

"I can ask someone who has the same OS version for a copy."

Good luck using a Product Key for one Os with another. They will have to
use the Product Key for the Os that someone gives them. And that is the
issue.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> George Hester wrote:
> > That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without
> > the key?
>
> Where did you get the idea that the OP lost or didn't have a valid
> Product Key?
>
> > In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem
> > when verifying with Microsoft.
>
> Please explain. Reinstallation on the same hardware is allowed, and
> there is no controversy surrounding it that I'm aware of, unless you've
> heard something I haven't, about MS changing their PA policy. Have you
> heard about some such change?
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:22:34 AM

George Hester wrote:
> "I bought a PC back in 2002 and with it came Windows XP Home Edition
> Version
> 1.0 with NO SERVICE PACKS with a valid product key."
>
> "I'm trying to reload the OS but the CD seems to be damaged."
>
> "I can ask someone who has the same OS version for a copy."
>
> Good luck using a Product Key for one Os with another.

He is trying to get an install CD of the SAME OS, he even says so in the
last quote. Are you purposely being dense, or do you just don't
understand what the OP is trying to do?

> They will
> have to use the Product Key for the Os that someone gives them.

Not if it is the same kind of CD as the one he already has, but is
damaged.

The Product Key will work on any Win XP Home CD, regardless of which
service pack it has, with one exception. If his PK is from an OEM
install, then he will need an OEM install CD. If his PK is from a
Retail Version, then he will need a retail install CD.

> And
> that is the issue.

Quite frankly, George, you have demonstrated that you don't understand
the issue.

>> George Hester wrote:
>>> That's true but how is the user going to install the op sys without
>>> the key?
>>
>> Where did you get the idea that the OP lost or didn't have a valid
>> Product Key?
>>
>>> In Windows XP two os with the same key will be a problem
>>> when verifying with Microsoft.
>>
>> Please explain. Reinstallation on the same hardware is allowed, and
>> there is no controversy surrounding it that I'm aware of, unless
>> you've heard something I haven't, about MS changing their PA policy.
>> Have you heard about some such change?
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
June 8, 2005 5:28:02 AM

Seriously, I wish there were one, so I could script the antidote for it.
:o )

--

> Kelly wrote:
>> No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which
>> virus wiped out your entire operating system!
>
> The human virus, one would suspect.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

June 8, 2005 5:32:06 AM

Thanks, Steve and how interesting is:

If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will delete all the
files from the system.

Notice how it went from 6 to 7 to 8 then back to 7? :o )
--

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> No, I don't and wouldn't. That said, I would love to know which virus
>> wiped out your entire operating system!
>>

> Possibly the VBS.pub worm:
>
> http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.pub.html
>
> Steve
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:22:11 PM

Kelly wrote:
> Thanks, Steve and how interesting is:
>
> If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will delete all the
> files from the system.
>
> Notice how it went from 6 to 7 to 8 then back to 7? :o )

Yeah, I noticed that pattern, too.

There have been other viruses and trojans in the past that have deleted
files and formatted drives, too. Don't recall the names offhand, though.

Steve
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:46:43 PM

OK