Sign in with
Your question

Really want to remove 30 second boot lag from SATA

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2003 8:30:39 PM

I bought the 6Y160M0 (another one i don't think i researched enough, lol.. stupid excitement about buying my new comp), and am generally happy with it.

BUT, before "starting windows XP" (that'll soon be Windows 2000 Pro :)  appears it lags for over 30 seconds (haven't timed it.. afraid to, lol). I heard this is because it's doing a Drive Search. <rant> Which makes sense of COURSE because it already detected the drive in POST. Leave it to people to make hardware stupid and terrible. </rant>

Anyways, I was wondering if there's a way to get rid of that, besides buying a new hard drive?

I've got the A7N8X Deluxe 2.0, BIOS 1.006
built-in silicon image controller 2112 i think.

and i don't think i can update the silicon image bios because it's supposedly only for their controller CARDS, not built-in controllers.

I swear I e-mailed ASUS and they never responded. NICE. :/ 

"How could I be broke? I had 6 million dollars in the bank!"
"Yeah... remember that time when you bought the Six Million Dollar Man?"
"HELL yeah! ... ... Oh."

More about : remove boot lag sata

November 22, 2003 2:26:38 AM

It's doing a drive search. NOT the drive search in POST, which is for the on-chipset controller only. Instead, a SECOND BIOS is loaded for the SATA controller chip, and THAT BIOS has to do IT'S OWN search. This is because that controller is a separate unit, not part of the chipset. It's actually like a PCI card, but they mounted the parts on the motherboard so they didn't need a slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 22, 2003 5:49:39 PM

So there's no way to make it faster or anything? maybe do a "fast detect" or something, heh. poo :( 

"HELL yeah! ... ... Oh."
Related resources
November 22, 2003 8:41:56 PM

I don't know how complex the SATA controller's BIOS is, but I doubt you can set it to "user type" hard drive to shorten it's cycle. Get into SATA BIOS controlls (there should be a prompt to tell you how, it's not the board BIOS) and see what you can find there. Good luck!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 22, 2003 8:44:22 PM

already been there... it's just options for RAID, nothing else. *sigh* oh well. thanks for trying to help :/ 

"HELL yeah! ... ... Oh."
November 23, 2003 11:59:15 AM

I have a gigabyte motherboard in one of my computers and it has an onboard RAID controller and used to take ages to boot up because the RAID controller was searching for drives even tho i had none. I managed to solve the problem by changing a jumper on the motherboard which dissabled the RAID controller. There might be a similar thing on ur motherboard.

Why use windows when you can use doors?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 23, 2003 2:29:38 PM

It's normal for the external controller cards to require more time at bootup. They all do it to some extent. I've never owned one that's gone about it particullarly quickly either so that may be the rule of thumb when condsidering this type of setup.
!