Cannot Copy File

When copying my System Backup file (4GB) from my second HDD to my external
drive I get the following message "Error Copying File or Folder. Cannot copy
XX: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free
disk space, and then try again."

The external drive has a capacity of 30GB of which 19GB is free. I have
defragged the drive but without solving the problem.

Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> When copying my System Backup file (4GB) from my second HDD to my external
> drive I get the following message "Error Copying File or Folder. Cannot
copy
> XX: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free
> disk space, and then try again."
>
> The external drive has a capacity of 30GB of which 19GB is free. I have
> defragged the drive but without solving the problem.

What filing systems? FAT?

kelly

Hi Edward,

Some tips here, good luck!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Error+Copying+File+or+Folder.+Cannot+copy+&btnG=Google+Search

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> When copying my System Backup file (4GB) from my second HDD to my external
> drive I get the following message "Error Copying File or Folder. Cannot
> copy XX: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to
> free disk space, and then try again."
>
> The external drive has a capacity of 30GB of which 19GB is free. I have
> defragged the drive but without solving the problem.
>
> Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> When copying my System Backup file (4GB) from my second HDD to my external
> drive I get the following message "Error Copying File or Folder. Cannot
> copy XX: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to
> free disk space, and then try again."
>
> The external drive has a capacity of 30GB of which 19GB is free. I have
> defragged the drive but without solving the problem.
>
> Any suggestions on what the problem may be?
Thanks to all who responded. I have solved the problem. The external drive
is formatted FAT32 and I have now found that FAT32 has a file size limit of
4GB.

The file I was trying to copy over from a NTFS Volume was about 4.5GB, hence
the error message. The rrror message in itself does not give guidance to
the problem as it suggests the fault lies with the drive capacity and not
the size of file being copied.

We live and learn :).

TRENDING THREADS