Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Format iBook for FreeNAS

Last response: in Mac Os X
December 25, 2010 7:10:53 AM

Hello,

Quick question: Is it possible to format completely the hard drive of a Mac (iBook G4, inlcuding the startup partition) and then boot on some LiveCD?
In my case it is to install FreeNAS on the newly formated partition, or just use it on a USB and Use the hard drive space for storage.
Will Mac allow the booting on some device while the entire drive is blank?

Thanks to all

More about : format ibook freenas

December 25, 2010 8:08:22 AM

I'm pretty sure that FreeNAS only exists for Intel chips, not for the PPC.
m
l
December 25, 2010 5:22:28 PM

Dangit so it wouldn't work with that CPU whatsoever?
Ok thks, I'l try booting from a USB on my clean system to check that.

Edit: Actualy, would anyone have any software/OS similar to FreeNas with at least a few of its features that would work on PPC/iBook G4?
m
l

Best solution

December 26, 2010 7:33:57 PM

There are a few Linux distros for PPC Macs. Ubuntu and Gentoo work well on my Mac Mini. And there is FreeBSD (which FreeNAS is based on), but I haven't tried that on a Mac. You'll have to do a little configuring to get them to act like FreeNAS.

To answer your original question, I believe that you can only boot PPC Macs from a Firewire drive (that's easy), not a USB one, but you can boot Linux or FreeBSD from the hard disk
December 26, 2010 8:08:50 PM

Ijack said:
There are a few Linux distros for PPC Macs. Ubuntu and Gentoo work well on my Mac Mini. And there is FreeBSD (which FreeNAS is based on), but I haven't tried that on a Mac. You'll have to do a little configuring to get them to act like FreeNAS.

To answer your original question, I believe that you can only boot PPC Macs from a Firewire drive (that's easy), not a USB one, but you can boot Linux or FreeBSD from the hard disk

Hello,

Ok so you mean that I cannot boot from an external USB but it has to be a firewire USB/Hard drive?
About the boot Linux or FreeBSD from the hard disk: so I could format completely the hard drive and install FreeBSD or Linux, but PPC distros, on it?
(I know thats possible with PCs but Apple has restrictions on its Macs so thats why I'm asking...)

Thanks for the advice.
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:46:04 AM

It is certainly the case with my Mac Mini that it will boot from an external firewire drive but not an external USB one. It's my belief that this is true of all PPC Macs, but I don't have an authoritative reference to that effect.

Yes you can install just Linux (or FreeBSD) on your hard disk and boot from it. No trace of Apple software is necessary other than that built in to the firmware. Or you can choose to dual boot Linux and OS X if you wish. You can get the Ubuntu ISOs from this link.
m
l
December 27, 2010 12:18:29 PM

Best answer selected by Gefthebest.
m
l
December 27, 2010 12:19:06 PM

Alrite thanks alot!
m
l
!