Sign in with
Your question

Server 2008 R2 VHD

Last response: in Business Computing
January 16, 2012 9:36:57 AM

Hello,

I am currently working on my Active Directory Certification, and am losing a lot of time constantly having to re-install the eval copy of Server 2008 R2.

I was wondering if it was possible to do a clean re-install then add the drivers, desktop experience, and hyper-v and then capture that VHD (in disk management under actions)

I know once the main Server 2008 install time runs up (30 days or 180) I will have to do it again. But I was hoping I could then take that VHD and it would speed up the installs on Hyper v on several test server/domain controllers the book's labs have me create.

My main goal is trying to stop the eval clock/expiration count down. I am a little familiar with VMware and I know I could just create and image and clone it. Thus, I was wondering if Hyper-v had the same thing.

I have fiddled with the snapshots in hyper-v but am not very familiar with it.

Thoughts or other ideas, suggestions welcomed.

More about : server 2008 vhd

January 16, 2012 10:27:34 AM

technet subscription?
January 16, 2012 1:26:26 PM

Hyper-V has the same feature. Just do what you would do in the VMWare world and you should be fine. I haven't personally tested to make sure the time doesn't expire, but you could always sysprep the system in the worst case.
January 18, 2012 3:15:43 AM

Riser is onto it
!