Connection speed with MN-710 changes from 2 to 11 Mbps

jaime

Hello,

I have a MN-500 router and a new USB MN-710 adapter.
Everything looks OK, I am able to access the WEB but the
connection speed in the Broadband Network Utility
changes from 2 to 11 Mbps.

Also installed a new USB 2.0 four port card on the
desktop.

I check the connection speed in my laptop (MN-620) and it
is always 11 Mbps.

Any idea?

Hi,

How far is your desktop computer located from the MN-500?
Is the MN-710 USB adapter close to any interfering devices such as 2.4GHz
cordless phones, microwaves and such?

Try moving it or try changing the wireless channel on the MN-500 Base
Station Management Tool under the wireless settings.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Jaime" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a MN-500 router and a new USB MN-710 adapter.
> Everything looks OK, I am able to access the WEB but the
> connection speed in the Broadband Network Utility
> changes from 2 to 11 Mbps.
>
> Also installed a new USB 2.0 four port card on the
> desktop.
>
> I check the connection speed in my laptop (MN-620) and it
> is always 11 Mbps.
>
> Any idea?

I moved the router as close as one foot to the MN-500. No
source of interference posible. No cordless phone or
microwave.

I tried changing the channels, all of them. Same results:
the speed is jumping from 11.0 Mbps to 2.0 Mbps.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you for your answers.

What speeds were you expecting?

You won't be gettin 54 mbps, as the MN500 can't do 802.11g speeds...

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Jaime" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a MN-500 router and a new USB MN-710 adapter.
> Everything looks OK, I am able to access the WEB but the
> connection speed in the Broadband Network Utility
> changes from 2 to 11 Mbps.
>
> Also installed a new USB 2.0 four port card on the
> desktop.
>
> I check the connection speed in my laptop (MN-620) and it
> is always 11 Mbps.
>
> Any idea?

I was expecting 11.0 Mbps. By the way the signal strength
is Very Good.

Actually, you can still get interference even with the
laptop next to the router...

Anyway, if it works fine on the other computer, its
probably not outside interference. Can you disconnect the
620 from the laptop and plug-in the 710 to verify the
problem is not coming from the 710?

If that clears, I would look at either the USB interface
(configuration, conflicts, signaling priority), or noise
from the PC. Try to disconnect all USB devices from the
PC (if any), and try different USB ports (if the card has
multiples). Also place the 710 as far as possible from
the power supply of the PC.

I would bet the 710 is not on the same channel as the
router, and you are getting just a peripheral signal.