search "A word or phrase in the file" work only in certain..

Window Search function "A word or phrase in the file" doesn't really work
sometime. For example, I have a number of jsp pages containing html tags. I
go to Taskbar -> "All files and folders" -> "all or part of the file name",
I typed [*.jsp] and hit "search". This returns all the jsp files as
expected. However, when I type
HTML:
 or anything contained by the jsp
files, this returns nothing. However, when I searched as above for certain
text not only in folder or files with .doc extension but in even in local
drive without specifying file extension, it returns good results. I have
WinXP Prof. Does anyone have the same problem? Thank you in advance.

The native Windows XP Search for Files or Folders has shortcomings. Many, including
myself, use Agent Ransack instead. It is much faster, it is FREE, and will do what you
want easily. I have just searched the My Documents folder, which has over 100 MB of .doc
files, for a document containing specific text in the body using Agent Ransack. The
document was found in just a few seconds. And yes, you can use Agent Ransack to limit
wild card searches by asking that the body of the file contain specific text ( e.g.
Search for File Name: *.doc Containing Text: htm) You can download Agent Ransack at:

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download

Once you use Agent Ransack, the speed of the search and the available options will
probably make you forget about even contemplating using the native Windows XP Search for
Files or Folders again.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"debtor" <debtor@home.com> wrote in message news:nGbpe.9962$KQ2.4284@trnddc08...
> Window Search function "A word or phrase in the file" doesn't really work
> sometime. For example, I have a number of jsp pages containing html tags. I
> go to Taskbar -> "All files and folders" -> "all or part of the file name",
> I typed [*.jsp] and hit "search". This returns all the jsp files as
> expected. However, when I type
HTML:
 or anything contained by the jsp
> files, this returns nothing. However, when I searched as above for certain
> text not only in folder or files with .doc extension but in even in local
> drive without specifying file extension, it returns good results. I have
> WinXP Prof. Does anyone have the same problem? Thank you in advance.

Debtor,

I had the same problem with some of our users, and found that the following
solved the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309173

Steve

"debtor" wrote:

> Window Search function "A word or phrase in the file" doesn't really work
> sometime. For example, I have a number of jsp pages containing html tags. I
> go to Taskbar -> "All files and folders" -> "all or part of the file name",
> I typed [*.jsp] and hit "search". This returns all the jsp files as
> expected. However, when I type
HTML:
 or anything contained by the jsp
> files, this returns nothing. However, when I searched as above for certain
> text not only in folder or files with .doc extension but in even in local
> drive without specifying file extension, it returns good results. I have
> WinXP Prof. Does anyone have the same problem? Thank you in advance.

If you can't answer the question you shouldn't reply. He did not ask for a stupid searcher. He asked how to search a program file. Users do not need to search program files. If you look at search trends, such as Google Desktop Search (and MSN et al), users want to find their documents. Searching is a poor document management tool anyway. Something a computer person would think off.

You need to change the search parser for your filetype. It is probably using the default which is binary (depending on Service pack this can be changed but is unwise), it parses names and properties only. Change it to a text parser. Text files use
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler

Graft this to .jsp.

"t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ugntBO0aFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The native Windows XP Search for Files or Folders has shortcomings. Many, including
> myself, use Agent Ransack instead. It is much faster, it is FREE, and will do what you
> want easily. I have just searched the My Documents folder, which has over 100 MB of .doc
> files, for a document containing specific text in the body using Agent Ransack. The
> document was found in just a few seconds. And yes, you can use Agent Ransack to limit
> wild card searches by asking that the body of the file contain specific text ( e.g.
> Search for File Name: *.doc Containing Text: htm) You can download Agent Ransack at:
>
> http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download
>
> Once you use Agent Ransack, the speed of the search and the available options will
> probably make you forget about even contemplating using the native Windows XP Search for
> Files or Folders again.
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> "debtor" <debtor@home.com> wrote in message news:nGbpe.9962$KQ2.4284@trnddc08...
> > Window Search function "A word or phrase in the file" doesn't really work
> > sometime. For example, I have a number of jsp pages containing html tags. I
> > go to Taskbar -> "All files and folders" -> "all or part of the file name",
> > I typed [*.jsp] and hit "search". This returns all the jsp files as
> > expected. However, when I type
HTML:
 or anything contained by the jsp
> > files, this returns nothing. However, when I searched as above for certain
> > text not only in folder or files with .doc extension but in even in local
> > drive without specifying file extension, it returns good results. I have
> > WinXP Prof. Does anyone have the same problem? Thank you in advance.

Sic transit gloria mundi...
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

--------
"t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The native Windows XP Search for Files or Folders has shortcomings. Many, including
> myself, use Agent Ransack instead. It is much faster, it is FREE, and will do what you
> want easily. I have just searched the My Documents folder, which has over 100 MB of
..doc
> files, for a document containing specific text in the body using Agent Ransack. The
> document was found in just a few seconds. And yes, you can use Agent Ransack to limit
> wild card searches by asking that the body of the file contain specific text ( e.g.
> Search for File Name: *.doc Containing Text: htm) You can download Agent Ransack at:
>
> http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download
>
> Once you use Agent Ransack, the speed of the search and the available options will
> probably make you forget about even contemplating using the native Windows XP Search for
> Files or Folders again.
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> "debtor" <debtor@home.com> wrote in message news:nGbpe.9962$KQ2.4284@trnddc08...
> > Window Search function "A word or phrase in the file" doesn't really work
> > sometime. For example, I have a number of jsp pages containing html tags. I
> > go to Taskbar -> "All files and folders" -> "all or part of the file name",
> > I typed [*.jsp] and hit "search". This returns all the jsp files as
> > expected. However, when I type
HTML:
 or anything contained by the jsp
> > files, this returns nothing. However, when I searched as above for certain
> > text not only in folder or files with .doc extension but in even in local
> > drive without specifying file extension, it returns good results. I have
> > WinXP Prof. Does anyone have the same problem? Thank you in advance.

frodo

If you do a lot of "file content" searches, you should get the free Google
Desktop Search tool. It's small and fast, very efficient. It doesn't do
"filename" lookup very well tho (IMHO). For that I think Yahoo's Desktop
Search tool is better, tho it has a "busy" interface. Try 'em both and
decide for yourself, settle on the one you like best. Both are free...

I tried it. The GUI reminds me of a little of Longhorn with piles of similar file types
on the desktop. It is an interesting concept. But, I found it to be a BIG waste of
system resources, and uninstalled it.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com