Remove Users from Safe Mode Logon Screen

June 7, 2005 4:39:23 AM

I am having a problem with my boys circumventing the ENUFF software
designed to limit their time on my Windows XP Pro computer. They are
able to do this by booting into Safe Mode which gives enables them
some, albeit limited, access (e.g. Internet) to the computer. Now,
what I don't understand is why their accounts are even being listed on
the logon screen since, according to the Microsoft Knowledge base
(shown below), limited accounts should not be shown in Safe Mode.

The only reason I can think of as to why this is occurring is that
these previously were administrator accounts which I changed back to
limited and now some glitch is permitting them to still be listed in
Safe Mode.

Can anyone provide an explanation for why this may be occurring and
show me a fix (? registry tweak)? Note that their accounts should
still be listed when booting into normal operation - I only want them
removed from Safe Mode which should be the default setting.

Users are missing from Welcome screen in Safe Mode
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 292742
Last Review : January 3, 2005
Revision : 1.1
On this page
SUMMARY
MORE INFORMATION
APPLIES TO

SUMMARY
When you start a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer in Safe mode, if
you have the Welcome Screen enabled, not all user accounts are
displayed on the Welcome Screen.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
User accounts that do not have administrative privileges are not listed
on the Welcome Screen. Users with Standard or Limited account types do
not have access to start in Safe mode.

Log on with an account that has administrative rights, perform the
necessary maintenance. After that, start the computer normally, not in
Safe mode, and you can log on with any user account.
June 7, 2005 11:54:54 AM

Doug wrote:

> I am having a problem with my boys circumventing the ENUFF software
> designed to limit their time on my Windows XP Pro computer. They are
> able to do this by booting into Safe Mode which gives enables them
> some, albeit limited, access (e.g. Internet) to the computer. Now,
> what I don't understand is why their accounts are even being listed on
> the logon screen since, according to the Microsoft Knowledge base
> (shown below), limited accounts should not be shown in Safe Mode.
>
> The only reason I can think of as to why this is occurring is that
> these previously were administrator accounts which I changed back to
> limited and now some glitch is permitting them to still be listed in
> Safe Mode.
>
> Can anyone provide an explanation for why this may be occurring and
> show me a fix (? registry tweak)? Note that their accounts should
> still be listed when booting into normal operation - I only want them
> removed from Safe Mode which should be the default setting.

It may not be happening. Your boys sound like they are smart enough to
know that if you press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at that Welcome Screen you
will get the classic logon box. Then all they have to do is enter their
user name and password and they're in.

I think you need to reexamine your parenting strategies and/or the ENUFF
software's options.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

There are so many gotchas involved with: fast user switching, whether you
clicked the Apply button, did you log off and log back on with the same user
account, etc. - See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288391

Probably the best practice is:

1. Delete the kids' accounts.

2. Reboot and check to see if the accounts are really gone.

3. Recreate the accounts as standard or limited users.

Of course, no one here has even grudging admiration for your kids on this
one - good luck.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

!