digital amps

Last response: in Home Audio
July 13, 2004 3:06:26 AM

is there any need for these for normal music? Or are they only needed for
surround sound (mainly for TV, I assume)

MAUOMBO

More about : digital amps

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 5:28:50 AM

MAUOMBO <mauombo@hotmail.com> wrote:
> is there any need for these for normal music? Or are they only needed for
> surround sound (mainly for TV, I assume)

From what you write, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'digital amp'.
Please elaborate. Do you mean, an amp (receiver) that takes a
digital input? If so, no, they are not needed for 'normal' (two-channel)
music. They aren't necessarily needed for surround sound, either,
but it's normal today to send both kinds of material over a single
digital connection to a receiver with a digital input, for convenience's
sake. Then all the decoding is done in the receiver. If you use analog
connections, the decoding has to be done in your player.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.

thanks,

I am in the market for a new amp and have started to read some reviews in
some audio magazines. One of the first reviews I read was in Hi-Fi News May
edition which looks at "Sony's top player and digital amp".

Just wondering whether I need to explore this avenue or just keep to the
traditional amps.

MAUOMBO
P.S. I will only have 2 sources, a tuner (I realise I have to face digital
tuners) and a yet unknown digital source of music (ideally some sort of
large bank of digital music, which could be a stream from the net or
something I have uploaded from CD, or something I purchase already in
digital format). However, to start with just my current analogue tuner and a
CD player.
July 14, 2004 2:34:00 AM

In article <mVGIc.63726$MB3.13399@attbi_s04>,
Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:
>MAUOMBO <mauombo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>From what you write, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'digital amp'.
>Please elaborate.

Digital amplifier as in using PWM in place of more conventional
amplifier topologies. High efficiency (90%) allows them to be
built with smaller heat sinks than traditional designs.

A few high end makers (Example: Bel Canto) are building reputable
examples arround the Tripath chips.

Inputs can be direct digital (S/PDIF) or an ADC.

--
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.
Anonymous

On 13 Jul 2004 22:34:00 GMT, drew@revolt.poohsticks.org (Drew
Eckhardt) wrote:

>Digital amplifier as in using PWM in place of more conventional
>amplifier topologies. High efficiency (90%) allows them to be
>built with smaller heat sinks than traditional designs.
>
>A few high end makers (Example: Bel Canto) are building reputable
>examples arround the Tripath chips.
>
>Inputs can be direct digital (S/PDIF) or an ADC.

These are switching amps, not digital amps and take an analog input.

Kal
!