Sign in with
Your question

What sort of speeds should a USB2 drive give?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2003 6:02:07 PM

Just got a 120gb Maxtor One Touch external USB2 drive and thought I should test that it's working ok.

What sort of speeds should it give on the benchmarking? I just got a drive index of 10304kB/s. Is that too slow?
Is that kilobytes or bits? How do I calculate the speed?

Thanks
November 23, 2003 2:58:23 AM

Divide by 1024, get MB/s. Your 10MB/s is OK, but not great. It IS faster than USB 1.1 (which is only 10 megaBITS per second). I've seen 20MB/s on my friend's drive using my PC.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 23, 2003 7:41:45 AM

So bearing in mind that the drive is a 7200rpm (120gb) drive, I should get more out of it shouldn't I?
Related resources
November 23, 2003 7:54:58 AM

Of course you should, but it also depends on your enclosure. Tom's even did a comparison, not all USB drive enclosures perform the same.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 23, 2003 8:04:20 AM

Sorry, what do you mean by enclosure?

If you mean the actual drive mechanics, it's a sealed USB unit. The Maxtor (Onetouch) literature at http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/external/onetouch/one... says it's got a bus transfer rate of up to 480Mb/sec & a sustained rate of up to 34MB/sec.

The USB2 controller I have a a PCI one (this http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti... ), apparently with a via VT6202 chipset. My mobo is an Abit KT7A-raid (also with a via chipset).
November 23, 2003 1:59:54 PM

theoretically (in most cases) USB2 is a good thing, but practically Firewire is better solution for an xturnHD. Anyway, 10 MB/s is a good thing, it is the same as 100mb PC2PC network performance, which in my book is an xcellent going.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 23, 2003 2:01:21 PM

by da way, "enclosure" is dat thing dat yer HD sits in - a box which holds HD. hope dat helps.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 24, 2003 1:46:17 AM

Not to forget that networks and USB are measured in mb/s, while hard drives are measured in mB/s. USB 1.1 is 12 megabit, which is only 1.5MB/s. And most networks are 10/100 megabit.

!