Is my HDD big enough to run 2 XP OSs?

June 7, 2005 5:47:12 AM

Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
(English and Chinese) XP operating systems?

Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB of
free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free up more
space if necessary).

I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and install the
Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a dual-boot system so
I can choose to use the English or Chinese version each time I startup.

My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I make
the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the partitions
-- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

More about : hdd big run oss

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:47:13 AM

A PC does not run with Windows XP alone. By the time you finish installing software,
drivers, updates, and then start web surfing, those two partitions begin to fill up. Then
there are restore points, your page file, temporary internet files, etc. 18.6 GB is a
decent size for one Windows XP install, IF you are not into multimedia files, and do not
want to have to keep transferring data to CDs to create space. 2 Windows XP installs on a
drive that size might bring up the low disk space warning message sooner than you might
expect. I only have a single Windows XP install, with one profile, MS Office
Professional, a few graphics/imaging programs, some games, a few utilities, some .wmv
files, a library of .jpg files, some saved email, keep my system restore points to a
limited number, and I have easily used 20.2 GB of drive space. If you have an open bay,
why not slave a new hard drive to your existing drive and install the second Windows XP
there. Internal hard drives are inexpensive. You can get a decent name brand 40 to 80 GB
drive for about $50-$70 at many online catalog places like CDW. OR, if you have the time
and know how, you could purchase the inexpensive 80 GB drive, clone the existing hard
drive to the new hard drive with the utility included with the new drive, then use
partition magic to create the second partition on the new drive and make your second
Windows XP install to that partition. When all is done, and is functioning well, you
could then format the old drive, slave it to the new one, and use it for data storage.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
>
> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB of
> free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free up more
> space if necessary).
>
> I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and install the
> Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a dual-boot system so
> I can choose to use the English or Chinese version each time I startup.
>
> My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I make
> the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the partitions
> -- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

June 7, 2005 8:14:47 AM

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
>
> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB of
> free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free up more
> space if necessary).
>
> I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and install
> the
> Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a dual-boot system
> so
> I can choose to use the English or Chinese version each time I startup.
>
> My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I make
> the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the
> partitions
> -- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

a fresh installation of XP takes approx 1.5 gigs...but can soon grow to
twice that size.
you certainly can have two XP installtions on an 18 gig drive...
but it would be better to use a larger drive
June 7, 2005 10:38:50 AM

I think you missed "on my laptop ".
Otherwise, a larger drive is a good idea.
--
Ron Sommer

"t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o e5edt0aFHA.2668@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
>> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
>>
>> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB of
>> free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free up
>> more
>> space if necessary).
>>
>> I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and install
>> the
>> Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a dual-boot
>> system so
>> I can choose to use the English or Chinese version each time I startup.
>>
>> My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I make
>> the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the
>> partitions
>> -- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

June 7, 2005 12:18:17 PM

In news:26C25EF9-9EC3-42FF-A133-5A4F819DD4A8@microsoft.com,
Richard <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to
> run 2
> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
>
> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have
> 6.05
> GB of free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to
> CDs to
> free up more space if necessary).

The technical answer is yes. The practical answer is that you'd
be pushing it. I wouldn't do it, unless you absolutely had to.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:47:19 PM

Mea Culpa, I speed read the post and missed that word laptop. Then I guess I would have
just replied that 18.6 GB would be on the minimum end, and not something that I would do.
But, if the PC needs are minimal, does not do much multimedia, allocates a small amount of
disk space for temporary internet files and restore points, it would work. I would not do
it though.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
news:o 1vI8V1aFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
> >> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
> >>
> >> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB of
> >> free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free up
> >> more
> >> space if necessary).
> >>
> >> I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and install
> >> the
> >> Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a dual-boot
> >> system so
> >> I can choose to use the English or Chinese version each time I startup.
> >>
> >> My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I make
> >> the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the
> >> partitions
> >> -- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

June 7, 2005 7:52:55 PM

Regarding hard disk space requirements for XP:-

System requirements for Windows XP operating systems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314865

Hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q326583

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;837783

so calculate how much space will be consumed and act accordingly.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Richard wrote:

> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
>
> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB of
> free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free up more
> space if necessary).
>
> I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and install the
> Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a dual-boot system so
> I can choose to use the English or Chinese version each time I startup.
>
> My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I make
> the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the partitions
> -- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:02:42 PM

And just to add you need other softwares along with your operating
system.It depends upon your requirement.So calculate accordingly.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

S.Sengupta wrote:

> Regarding hard disk space requirements for XP:-
>
> System requirements for Windows XP operating systems
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314865
>
> Hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 1
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q326583
>
> The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;837783
>

> so calculate how much space will be consumed and act accordingly.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Richard wrote:
>
>> Question: Is my (single) hard disk on my laptop large enough to run 2
>> (English and Chinese) XP operating systems?
>>
>> Total hard disk capacity is 18.6 GB, and currently I only have 6.05 GB
>> of free space left. (I could transfer some of my stuff to CDs to free
>> up more space if necessary).
>>
>> I plan to use PartitionMagic to create 1 or 2 new partitions and
>> install the Chinese version of XP on a new partition. Then I'd have a
>> dual-boot system so I can choose to use the English or Chinese version
>> each time I startup.
>>
>> My question is: Do I have enough space? If I do, what sizes should I
>> make the new partition(s), and how should I spread my data between the
>> partitions -- drive C: is probably to "crowded" at the moment. Not sure.

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:53:21 PM

Download and install the chinese MUI pack from a p2p network using emule
(google emule to find the download page) , that will enable you to have only
1 version of XP and switch between language interfaces.

!