AHCI Crashing Windows on boot

Dankaru

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi guys. So I just bought myself a Crucial M4 SSD. And the guy at the store told me to make it run even faster to go into the BIOS and turn the HDDs to AHCI. So after installing Windows and playing around a bit I decided to go to the BIOS and do it. But then when the Windows sunburst comes up it crashes. What gives? I was reading somewhere else that there needs to be a registry change somewhere too? Any of you genius' got the answer for me?

Incase it matters I'm running an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thx in advance.

Solution

As to 'how'

windows button > search 'regedit' > right-click regedit and run as administrator.

in Regedit

navigate the tree in the left pane knowing that it is strictly alphabetical.

HKeyLocalMachine
|
|
->System
|
|
->CurrentControlSet
|
|
->Services
|
|
->msahci

in the right pane you will find the entry for your drive. edit the entry by right-clicking it and change its value to '0'

close regedit. no save needed as the registry is live.

reboot

done

Q

Dankaru

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Sorry but... how do I get to that lol and the "name" is that the exact name my BIOS displays for my SSD?

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

As to 'how'

windows button > search 'regedit' > right-click regedit and run as administrator.

in Regedit

navigate the tree in the left pane knowing that it is strictly alphabetical.

HKeyLocalMachine
|
|
->System
|
|
->CurrentControlSet
|
|
->Services
|
|
->msahci

in the right pane you will find the entry for your drive. edit the entry by right-clicking it and change its value to '0'

close regedit. no save needed as the registry is live.

reboot

done

Q

Solution

verbalizer

Distinguished

nice.
microsoft also has an app to do this for you automatically on the support web-site.
good work none the less..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976