System error boxes

June 7, 2005 8:18:09 AM

I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different sites
to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the scanner.
Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a genuine
problem?
--
yours incomprehendingly

More about : system error boxes

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:28:57 AM

It's a Scam. If you are talking about Pop-Up boxes then it's a
process called "Social Engineering". It's designed to play on a
person's gullibility. The messages aren't generated by WinXP
but advertising sites that try to convince people they have issues
that some program can resolve for them.

You need to tighten your system security & use a compliment
of tools such as AdAware, SpyBot and perhaps MS -ASW.
The tools can remove existing "Baddies" and MS - ASW has a
real-time scanning engine that will alert you when sites attempt
to trick you.

A little reading on the topic may help you to understand what
is going on:
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1527

If your system doesn't have Service Pack 2 - You should get
your system upgraded to it. The default security of SP2 will
help restrict or block some of these items.

"steveng" <steveng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
> informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
> sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different
> sites
> to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
> then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the
> scanner.
> Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a
> genuine
> problem?
> --
> yours incomprehendingly
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:26:15 PM

Sounds like spyware - try getting spybot from www.download.com and run this.

"steveng" <steveng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
> informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
> sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different
> sites
> to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
> then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the
> scanner.
> Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a
> genuine
> problem?
> --
> yours incomprehendingly
Related resources
June 7, 2005 5:22:20 PM

You have some beasties on your machine. You need to run some anti scumware
programs such as AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. I would run a full
anti virus scan as well.

Alias
"steveng" <steveng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
> informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
> sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different
> sites
> to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
> then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the
> scanner.
> Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a
> genuine
> problem?
> --
> yours incomprehendingly
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:29:32 AM

Information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/defaul...
Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

Spyware Programs links:-
www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
www.security.kolla.de Spybot

SpywareBlaster

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

Perhaps an online security/virus check
Symantec
http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&...
Trend Micro House Call: