System error boxes

I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different sites
to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the scanner.
Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a genuine
problem?
--
yours incomprehendingly
4 answers Last reply

    It's a Scam. If you are talking about Pop-Up boxes then it's a
    process called "Social Engineering". It's designed to play on a
    person's gullibility. The messages aren't generated by WinXP
    but advertising sites that try to convince people they have issues
    that some program can resolve for them.

    You need to tighten your system security & use a compliment
    of tools such as AdAware, SpyBot and perhaps MS -ASW.
    The tools can remove existing "Baddies" and MS - ASW has a
    real-time scanning engine that will alert you when sites attempt
    to trick you.

    A little reading on the topic may help you to understand what
    is going on:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1527

    If your system doesn't have Service Pack 2 - You should get
    your system upgraded to it. The default security of SP2 will
    help restrict or block some of these items.

    Sounds like spyware - try getting spybot from www.download.com and run this.

    "steveng" <steveng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
    > informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
    > sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different
    > sites
    > to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
    > then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the
    > scanner.
    > Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a
    > genuine
    > problem?
    > --
    > yours incomprehendingly

    You have some beasties on your machine. You need to run some anti scumware
    programs such as AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. I would run a full
    anti virus scan as well.

    Alias
    "steveng" <steveng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    >I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
    > informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will experience all
    > sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am directed to different
    > sites
    > to scan and fix these errors. However when the errors have been scanned it
    > then informs me I have to pay to Register and fix my errors with the
    > scanner.
    > Is this a con? Is there a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a
    > genuine
    > problem?
    > --
    > yours incomprehendingly

    Information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
    Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
    the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx
    Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

    Spyware Programs links:-
    www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
    www.security.kolla.de Spybot

    SpywareBlaster

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

    Perhaps an online security/virus check
    Symantec
    http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    Trend Micro House Call:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Panda ActiveScan;
    McAfee FreeScan:
    Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
    BitDefender Online Scan:

    Free anti virus programs
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php

    steveng wrote:
    > I am currently using Windows XP and I keep getting Sysytem Error boxes
    > informing me that I need to fix the errors otherwise I will
    > experience all sorts of terrible system problems. Each time I am
    > directed to different sites to scan and fix these errors. However
    > when the errors have been scanned it then informs me I have to pay to
    > Register and fix my errors with the scanner. Is this a con? Is there
    > a cheaper (i.e free) way to do this if its a genuine problem?

Windows XP Microsoft System Error