Port Forwarding not working for http. Everyone sees error ..

Hello,
I could really use some help with this problem. I host a
website on my home computer. Despite my best efforts,
http requests are not getting forwarded to it. Here are
the facts:

- The machine is attached via an ethernet cord to the mn-
700.
- I have disabled the Internet Connection firewall on
the LAN connection (realize this may not be necessary but
figured it's useful as a debug step.)
- I have set up port forwarding of port 80 to the
server's ip: 192.168.2.115
- I also put 192.168.2.115 in the DMZ just for good
measure.
- I've given the website a super-simple default.htm page
just to ensure that it's not something screwy with IIS.
- I'm able to browse the web from this machine - so it
seems to have a perfectly valid outgoing http connection.

When I go to base station management tool, it says that
my wan ip is 24.19.12.168.

I'm aware of the loopback problem - so all my testing is
done by folks outside my LAN.

Everyone who hits http://24.19.12.168 gets an error
10060 - which seems kind of like a 404 - but stranger.

Finally, I just took the opportunity to set up a second
computer with IIS to see if it would just work on that
machine. But no dice. The problem still repros.

Anyone have any clues? I'm about ready to just exchange
the router for another. The only thing I can think of is
that it's malfunctioning and unable to do port
forwarding. Weird.

thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated,

-- Steve
6 answers Last reply
More about port forwarding working http sees error

    Re-enable the firewall on the router. Don't put the
    server on DMZ. My server works just fine with a
    persistent port forwarding on port 80.

    If the server is plugged directly to the modem (without
    the router) can it be accessed from the WAN? Some ISPs
    block port 80. You may want to run the server on another
    port (e.g. 8000 or 8080) to check this.

    FYI, Winsock error: 10060 = connection timeout
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-
    US;q181050) This is pretty similar to a 404, except that
    is reported by the Windows TCP/IP stack

    When you did the port forwarding did you do persistent port forwarding
    or application triggered? If you did application triggered you would
    receive all sorts of strange results. If you did persistent port
    forwarding you shouldn't be getting any errors.

    You could try a soft reset by unplugging the router (from the power
    source) for 10 seconds & plugging it back in.

    Have you tried different ports for the external port? to browse you
    would use http://24.19.12.168:65535 (you can replace the port number
    with whatever port you are using).

    Steve wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I could really use some help with this problem. I host a
    > website on my home computer. Despite my best efforts,
    > http requests are not getting forwarded to it. Here are
    > the facts:
    >
    > - The machine is attached via an ethernet cord to the mn-
    > 700.
    > - I have disabled the Internet Connection firewall on
    > the LAN connection (realize this may not be necessary but
    > figured it's useful as a debug step.)
    > - I have set up port forwarding of port 80 to the
    > server's ip: 192.168.2.115
    > - I also put 192.168.2.115 in the DMZ just for good
    > measure.
    > - I've given the website a super-simple default.htm page
    > just to ensure that it's not something screwy with IIS.
    > - I'm able to browse the web from this machine - so it
    > seems to have a perfectly valid outgoing http connection.
    >
    > When I go to base station management tool, it says that
    > my wan ip is 24.19.12.168.
    >
    > I'm aware of the loopback problem - so all my testing is
    > done by folks outside my LAN.
    >
    > Everyone who hits http://24.19.12.168 gets an error
    > 10060 - which seems kind of like a 404 - but stranger.
    >
    > Finally, I just took the opportunity to set up a second
    > computer with IIS to see if it would just work on that
    > machine. But no dice. The problem still repros.
    >
    > Anyone have any clues? I'm about ready to just exchange
    > the router for another. The only thing I can think of is
    > that it's malfunctioning and unable to do port
    > forwarding. Weird.
    >
    > thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated,
    >
    > -- Steve

    Hi folks,

    Thanks very much for your responses.

    Here's what I did:

    1) I took the advice of both people who responded and:
    - Re-enabled the firewall on the server - allowing port
    80 through.
    - Took the server off the DMZ
    - Made sure that I'm using persistent port forwarding -
    not application specific port forwarding
    - Did a "soft reset" of the router.

    2) I verified that if I just remove the router from the
    equation, the site works fine. So I conclude that my ISP
    (comcast) is not blocking port 80 and my computer's
    firewall is set up correctly to allow port 80 through. In
    other words, the problem is with the router.

    Unfortunately, when I throw the router back into the mix,
    the site still doesn't work and instead throws 10060's.

    I've switched up ethernet wires and the physical jacks on
    the router that I use.

    Unfortunately I don't have a clue what to do now. :(

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, -- Steve

    can you try power cycling your cable modem? also, have you cloned the
    mac address of the computer that was connected directly to the cable
    modem where everything works into the MS base station?

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:21:42 -0700,

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Thanks very much for the advice.

    I power cycled both the cable modem and the router. I
    also verified that my machine's mac address remains the
    same whether the router is in place or not.

    Thanks! -- Steve

    You need to take the MAC address from the computer and enter it into
    the Base Station. That is called cloning.

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:49:24 -0700,

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist