Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting Rid Of Unwanted Programs On Start UP

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 7, 2005 8:56:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How do I get rid of unwanted programs running when I start up?
June 7, 2005 12:11:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <346BBD7A-CEC9-41AE-9166-F48102595B5B@microsoft.com>,
Michael@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= says...

> How do I get rid of unwanted programs running when I start up?
>

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Download the zip from here(below) & extract to your "System32" folder,
than read the above link.

http://downloads.thetechguide.com/msconfig.zip
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:14:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:346BBD7A-CEC9-41AE-9166-F48102595B5B@microsoft.com,
Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> How do I get rid of unwanted programs running when I start up?


On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
time. You can get more information about these with at
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
to get rid of.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
June 7, 2005 1:19:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Michael wrote:
>> How do I get rid of unwanted programs running when I start up?

You either manually remove the links and entries for the Startup folder and
the Registry's Run key(s) .. or .. you use a utility such as msconfig

Start > Run > type in: msconfig > hit Enter > look at the Startup tab >
uncheck the obvious

You will notice a Services tab. Do not play with those settings until you
have first read up on servcies in Windows XP else you are looking to screw
up your system - as in won't even boot.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:31:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ken has it right.

MSconfig should be your last option when it comes to stopping programs from
running automatically. Check your program options, most will give you the
option to turn them off by default.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:346BBD7A-CEC9-41AE-9166-F48102595B5B@microsoft.com,
> Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > How do I get rid of unwanted programs running when I start up?
>
>
> On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
> Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
> actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
> icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
> that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
> the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
> automatically.
>
> However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
> of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
> people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
> these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
> performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.
>
> Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
> should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
> you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
> time. You can get more information about these with at
> http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
> there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.
>
> Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
> informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
> to get rid of.
>
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
>
June 7, 2005 10:16:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

MixNet <MixNet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Ken has it right.
> MSconfig should be your last option when it comes to stopping programs from
> running automatically. Check your program options, most will give you the
> option to turn them off by default.

and, as an alternative to msconfig, you can get the "startup control
panel" from Mark Lin:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
June 8, 2005 6:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hey thanks for the link.

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> MixNet <MixNet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Ken has it right.
> > MSconfig should be your last option when it comes to stopping programs from
> > running automatically. Check your program options, most will give you the
> > option to turn them off by default.
>
> and, as an alternative to msconfig, you can get the "startup control
> panel" from Mark Lin:
>
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>
>
>
!