Speaker placement

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 19, 2004 12:50:50 AM

Greetings,

The picture at <http://tyro.narod.ru/SpeakerPlacement.jpg&gt; shows the
shape of the room, the two possible locations of the speakers and the
configuration of the ceiling. The walls of the house are made of pine
logs.

The theoretical music system consists of:
Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers
Halcro dm8 preamplifier
Halcro dm38 amplifier
Burmester CD Player 001

Could you please help me choose the best location for the music
system?

Personally, I think that the placement of the speakers along the long
wall (Placement B) is better than the placment along the short wall
(Placement A). But I wonder by how much would the performance of the
system be impeded if the speakers are arranged along the short wall
(Placement A)?

I was told that tall ceilings (> 3 meters / 9.84 feet) are bad for
good sound. Is this so? Can someone explain this to me?

Thank you.

More about : speaker placement

July 22, 2004 3:46:27 AM

Tyro wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The picture at <http://tyro.narod.ru/SpeakerPlacement.jpg&gt; shows the
> shape of the room, the two possible locations of the speakers and the
> configuration of the ceiling. The walls of the house are made of pine
> logs.
>
> The theoretical music system consists of:
> Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers
> Halcro dm8 preamplifier
> Halcro dm38 amplifier
> Burmester CD Player 001
>
> Could you please help me choose the best location for the music
> system?
>
> Personally, I think that the placement of the speakers along the long
> wall (Placement B) is better than the placment along the short wall
> (Placement A). But I wonder by how much would the performance of the
> system be impeded if the speakers are arranged along the short wall
> (Placement A)?
>
> I was told that tall ceilings (> 3 meters / 9.84 feet) are bad for
> good sound. Is this so? Can someone explain this to me?

I think placement B would be better, particularly if you're able to pull
the speakers out from the wall maybe 5 or 6 feet. I don't believe that
those speakers need the accoustic reinforcement of sitting in a corner.

Exact placement depends on a bunch of factors that you don't specify
(floor material, wall treatments, etc.) so experiment until you find
what sounds good.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 2:36:39 AM

Tyro wrote:

....snip to content....

>> I was told that tall ceilings (> 3 meters / 9.84 feet) are bad for
>> good sound. Is this so? Can someone explain this to me?

Actually the reverse is true. With typical 8-foot ceiling rooms typical speaker
placement means that the floor reflection and the ceiling reflection will occur
at frequencies close to each other generally exaggerating the 200-300 Hz notch
often at the listening position A tall ceiling reduces or eliminates this
effect.
!