Windows XP Product Activation...

Hello --

We are a small company and one of our people used her MSDN XP Key (she is
given 10 uses) Well, before she got a chance to activate it, other people
activated those keys and now she's unable to activate. Well, since then, we
got a MSDN Gold partnership, and we got new keys to use for our company (100
uses). However, when I gave her one of our new keys to use, it still won't
activate.

Does she need to reinstall with our new key?

Thanks.
27 answers Last reply
More about windows product activation

    How to change the product key at the time of activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Galvanon" wrote:

    | Hello --
    |
    | We are a small company and one of our people used her MSDN XP Key (she is
    | given 10 uses) Well, before she got a chance to activate it, other people
    | activated those keys and now she's unable to activate. Well, since then, we
    | got a MSDN Gold partnership, and we got new keys to use for our company (100
    | uses). However, when I gave her one of our new keys to use, it still won't
    | activate.
    |
    | Does she need to reinstall with our new key?
    |
    | Thanks.

    Gosh, what a wonderful way to ruin an afternoon, messing around with
    activation.

    Activation does not stop piracy. It only inconveniences PAYING CUSTOMERS!

    Alias

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

    > How to change the product key at the time of activation
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Galvanon" wrote:
    >
    > | Hello --
    > |
    > | We are a small company and one of our people used her MSDN XP Key (she
    > is
    > | given 10 uses) Well, before she got a chance to activate it, other
    > people
    > | activated those keys and now she's unable to activate. Well, since
    > then, we
    > | got a MSDN Gold partnership, and we got new keys to use for our company
    > (100
    > | uses). However, when I gave her one of our new keys to use, it still
    > won't
    > | activate.
    > |
    > | Does she need to reinstall with our new key?
    > |
    > | Thanks.

    Perhaps you would prefer MS instituted hardware keys (dongles)?

    Bob I wrote:
    > Perhaps you would prefer MS instituted hardware keys (dongles)?

    Like the pirates wouldn't get around that too! Please!

    Copy-protection:

    a.) Doesn't work.
    b.) Ends up stopping more legitimate users than illegitimate by a large
    margin.
    c.) Adds to the cost of developing products so that the price of the
    product doesn't decrease over time.
    d.) The software piracy rate was much higher in 1994 before the PC boom
    really got going than in 2000 when MS first introduced copy-protection
    into the mainstream.
    http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000002.php

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    kurttrail wrote:
    >> Bob I wrote:
    >>> Perhaps you would prefer MS instituted hardware keys (dongles)?
    >>
    >> Like the pirates wouldn't get around that too! Please!
    >>
    >> Copy-protection:
    >>
    >> a.) Doesn't work.
    >> b.) Ends up stopping more legitimate users than illegitimate by a
    >> large margin.
    >> c.) Adds to the cost of developing products so that the price of the
    >> product doesn't decrease over time.
    >> d.) The software piracy rate was much higher in 1994 before the PC
    >> boom really got going than in 2000 when MS first introduced
    >> copy-protection into the mainstream.
    >> http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000002.php

    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Yeah, but in 1994 Microsoft was probably encouraging some piracy in an
    effort to get Windows everywhere. There was probably profit in piracy for
    Microsoft. Therefore their Windows and Office CD-ROMs could be outright
    copied. One Upgrade CD-ROM bought at Business Depot could clean install the
    entire office. Once Microsoft achieved Windows everywhere, there was more
    profit in discouraging casual copying. Why do they still release "corporate"
    versions that do not require activation? It's like handing the pirates a
    ticket to pirate. Why isn't Microsoft outraged at itself for making it easy
    for pirates to pirate? It's because when all is said and done it is not in
    their profit margin's interest to not supply corporate versions, not having
    it might discourage corps from upgrading because of the inherent
    difficulties in the WPA procedure.

    I doubt Microsoft really care about the moral issues - although they should
    [and if they did you wouldn't see corporate no-WPA versions] - what it looks
    at is the profit issue. So you see the behaviour where Microsoft actually
    suppies the pirates with copies of Windws XP that do not require activation.
    I encourage Microsoft to behave uprightly morally. It really is a fantastic
    corporation in a fantastic industry and the company has the wherewithall to
    be a great leader in every way.

    Anyway, Microsoft does as it wills with the software it writes. In my
    opinion, I think that is OK. Free country. Freedom of the intellect of which
    software is an expression. It's the legal system that I have issues with in
    this piracy regard - I don't think it should play handmaiden.

    Stephen wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Like the pirates wouldn't get around that too! Please!
    >>>
    >>> Copy-protection:
    >>>
    >>> a.) Doesn't work.
    >>> b.) Ends up stopping more legitimate users than illegitimate by a
    >>> large margin.
    >>> c.) Adds to the cost of developing products so that the price of
    >>> the product doesn't decrease over time.
    >>> d.) The software piracy rate was much higher in 1994 before the PC
    >>> boom really got going than in 2000 when MS first introduced
    >>> copy-protection into the mainstream.
    >>> http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000002.php

    >>> --
    >>> Peace!
    >>> Kurt
    >>> Self-anointed Moderator
    >>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
    >
    > Yeah, but in 1994 Microsoft was probably encouraging some piracy in an
    > effort to get Windows everywhere. There was probably profit in piracy
    > for Microsoft. Therefore their Windows and Office CD-ROMs could be
    > outright copied. One Upgrade CD-ROM bought at Business Depot could
    > clean install the entire office. Once Microsoft achieved Windows
    > everywhere, there was more profit in discouraging casual copying. Why
    > do they still release "corporate" versions that do not require
    > activation? It's like handing the pirates a ticket to pirate. Why
    > isn't Microsoft outraged at itself for making it easy for pirates to
    > pirate? It's because when all is said and done it is not in their
    > profit margin's interest to not supply corporate versions, not having
    > it might discourage corps from upgrading because of the inherent
    > difficulties in the WPA procedure.
    >
    > I doubt Microsoft really care about the moral issues - although they
    > should [and if they did you wouldn't see corporate no-WPA versions] -
    > what it looks at is the profit issue. So you see the behaviour where
    > Microsoft actually suppies the pirates with copies of Windws XP that
    > do not require activation. I encourage Microsoft to behave uprightly
    > morally. It really is a fantastic corporation in a fantastic industry
    > and the company has the wherewithall to be a great leader in every
    > way.
    >
    > Anyway, Microsoft does as it wills with the software it writes. In my
    > opinion, I think that is OK. Free country. Freedom of the intellect
    > of which software is an expression. It's the legal system that I have
    > issues with in this piracy regard - I don't think it should play
    > handmaiden.

    LOL! MS is a proven IP thief while not one of its home customer has
    ever been charged with, let alone found to have done anything wrong for
    using their copies of software for their own private non-commercial use.
    Its like having Enron in charge of the nations energy policies!

    --

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:05:27 -0400, "Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam>
    wrote:

    >Anyway, Microsoft does as it wills with the software it writes. In my
    >opinion, I think that is OK. Free country.

    *** First, the use of 'Some Of' in reference to MVPs in the below text
    means that I recognize that only 'Some Of' the MVPs are programmed MS
    Clones (as referred to by others). Some MVPs have shown self thought
    outside the MS brain washing box. It is the latter that we see
    courtesy from and more people flocking to for help. Funny how that
    works.***

    I agree with that but I still can't seem to understand 'Some Of' these
    silly MVP's company rhetoric to the question of how making honest
    paying customers of XP go through the activation scheme of their
    legally paid for copy of XP keeps pirates from pirating XP, who
    (pirates) don't have to deal with the activation scheme.

    But you know, since Pirates don't have to activate, then the answer is
    NO, activation does nothing to fight piracy so in order to come up
    with an answer to the original question that doesn't make MS look like
    the idiot it is, 'Some Of' the silly little MVP's must resort to
    reverse rhetoric to try to lead the conversation in a more MS positive
    direction and away from its present illogical focus which is fighting
    piracy by alienating the honest paying customers.

    Example of what one silly MVP gave as his/her answer to the original
    question... Activation keeps me (an honest paying customer) from
    copying the software and using it elsewhere. What a canned MS answer.
    Think about it.... If I were going to copy their software and use it
    on multiple machines, I wouldn't be an honest paying customer now
    would I? I would be a pirate and using the many methods on the web
    offered to circumvent the silly activation thus negating any reason
    for me to be an honest paying customer in the F I R S T P L A C E.
    DUH!

    If you think honest paying customers having to prove they aren't
    crooks before they can use the software is offensive, 'Some Of' these
    silly MVP excuses for this are equally if not more offensive (as per
    the above example).

    Regards,

    No, I would prefer to be able to use something I paid for without having to
    prove that I paid for it over and over again. Why does MS' piracy problems
    need to affect paying customers? Normally, instead of making paying
    customers having to prove they are not thieves, the police is called to
    catch them.

    Alias

    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote

    > Perhaps you would prefer MS instituted hardware keys (dongles)?
    >
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Gosh, what a wonderful way to ruin an afternoon, messing around with
    >> activation.
    >>
    >> Activation does not stop piracy. It only inconveniences PAYING CUSTOMERS!
    >>
    >> Alias

    Please read carefully and try to comprehend:

    Frequently asked questions about Microsoft Product Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302878

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Alias" wrote:

    | No, I would prefer to be able to use something I paid for without having to
    | prove that I paid for it over and over again. Why does MS' piracy problems
    | need to affect paying customers? Normally, instead of making paying
    | customers having to prove they are not thieves, the police is called to
    | catch them.
    |
    | Alias

    Unfortunately you are making things up again. Microsoft doesn't make you
    prove that you paid for it over and over again, only that it is an
    authorized version. Please don't keep making up issues and then whining
    about them. You are the only one claiming you are a thief. Copy
    protection, is copy protection, impersonal and faceless. Any reasons you
    feel that your integrity is being questioned by a computer may be caused
    by paranoia.

    Bob I wrote:
    > Unfortunately you are making things up again. Microsoft doesn't make
    > you prove that you paid for it over and over again, only that it is an
    > authorized version.

    Semantics! It is just basically the same thing. MS makes you prove
    that you aren't a pirate. to prove your innocence despite no reasonable
    claim you have done nothing wrong in the first place. A virtual GITMO!

    > Please don't keep making up issues and then
    > whining about them.

    Please keep twisting the issue away from reality.

    > You are the only one claiming you are a thief.

    Where did he say that? Now you are a liar. Are you a republican? You
    certainly are acting like a fat lying hypocritical doctor-shopping
    Rightard!

    > Copy protection, is copy protection, impersonal and faceless.

    Copy-protection is a flawed technology, that ends up screwing the paying
    customer out of their time at best. At worst, it keeps paying customers
    away from their computer.

    > Any
    > reasons you feel that your integrity is being questioned by a
    > computer may be caused by paranoia.

    It is being questions by the implementors of the technology, fool. You
    definitely must be a Rightard.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    I read it a long time ago. My points still stand.

    Alias
    > Please read carefully and try to comprehend:
    >
    > Frequently asked questions about Microsoft Product Activation
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302878
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    > | No, I would prefer to be able to use something I paid for without having
    > | prove that I paid for it over and over again. Why does MS' piracy
    > problems
    > | need to affect paying customers? Normally, instead of making paying
    > | customers having to prove they are not thieves, the police is called to
    > | catch them.
    > |
    > | Alias

    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    Alias

    "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote

    > Bob I wrote:
    >> Unfortunately you are making things up again. Microsoft doesn't make
    >> you prove that you paid for it over and over again, only that it is an
    >> authorized version.
    >
    > Semantics! It is just basically the same thing. MS makes you prove that
    > you aren't a pirate. to prove your innocence despite no reasonable claim
    > you have done nothing wrong in the first place. A virtual GITMO!
    >
    >> Please don't keep making up issues and then
    >> whining about them.
    >
    > Please keep twisting the issue away from reality.
    >
    >> You are the only one claiming you are a thief.
    >
    > Where did he say that? Now you are a liar. Are you a republican? You
    > certainly are acting like a fat lying hypocritical doctor-shopping
    > Rightard!
    >
    >> Copy protection, is copy protection, impersonal and faceless.
    >
    > Copy-protection is a flawed technology, that ends up screwing the paying
    > customer out of their time at best. At worst, it keeps paying customers
    > away from their computer.
    >
    >> Any
    >> reasons you feel that your integrity is being questioned by a
    >> computer may be caused by paranoia.
    >
    > It is being questions by the implementors of the technology, fool. You
    > definitely must be a Rightard.
    >
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, I would prefer to be able to use something I paid for without
    >>> having to prove that I paid for it over and over again. Why does MS'
    >>> piracy problems need to affect paying customers? Normally, instead
    >>> of making paying customers having to prove they are not thieves, the
    >>> police is called to catch them.
    >>>
    >>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote

    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Man, what planet you from? What type of reply do you expect from them,
    an honest one? Look who they are aligning themselves with. A company
    that was subpoenaed to appear before a Senate Investigation Committee
    about its questionable and unethical business practices. And they will
    argue until hell freezes over against the fact that Pirates do not have
    to activate so how does making the honest paying customers prove they
    didn't steal the software (activation) stop the pirates?

    Ironically, being subpoenaed to appear before a Senate Investigation
    Committee about its questionable and unethical business practices puts
    it on the same moral ground as the Pirates. MS or its "Clones" have no
    moral authority to question anyone's honesty and honor.

    NIK

    ***Email Address is a Spam Trap***

    Shooter wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:05:27 -0400, "Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Anyway, Microsoft does as it wills with the software it writes. In my
    > >opinion, I think that is OK. Free country.
    >
    > *** First, the use of 'Some Of' in reference to MVPs in the below text
    > means that I recognize that only 'Some Of' the MVPs are programmed MS
    > Clones (as referred to by others). Some MVPs have shown self thought
    > outside the MS brain washing box. It is the latter that we see
    > courtesy from and more people flocking to for help. Funny how that
    > works.***
    >
    > I agree with that but I still can't seem to understand 'Some Of' these
    > silly MVP's company rhetoric to the question of how making honest
    > paying customers of XP go through the activation scheme of their
    > legally paid for copy of XP keeps pirates from pirating XP, who
    > (pirates) don't have to deal with the activation scheme.
    >
    > But you know, since Pirates don't have to activate, then the answer is
    > NO, activation does nothing to fight piracy so in order to come up
    > with an answer to the original question that doesn't make MS look like
    > the idiot it is, 'Some Of' the silly little MVP's must resort to
    > reverse rhetoric to try to lead the conversation in a more MS positive
    > direction and away from its present illogical focus which is fighting
    > piracy by alienating the honest paying customers.
    >
    > Example of what one silly MVP gave as his/her answer to the original
    > question... Activation keeps me (an honest paying customer) from
    > copying the software and using it elsewhere. What a canned MS answer.
    > Think about it.... If I were going to copy their software and use it
    > on multiple machines, I wouldn't be an honest paying customer now
    > would I? I would be a pirate and using the many methods on the web
    > offered to circumvent the silly activation thus negating any reason
    > for me to be an honest paying customer in the F I R S T P L A C E.
    > DUH!
    >
    > If you think honest paying customers having to prove they aren't
    > crooks before they can use the software is offensive, 'Some Of' these
    > silly MVP excuses for this are equally if not more offensive (as per
    > the above example).
    >
    > Regards,

    No matter what type of copy protection scheme that has ever been
    devised, there was always a lot smarter pirate out there figuring how
    to get around it. These companies just have to face the facts that the
    pirates are a lot smarter than they are and that treating the honest
    paying customers like criminals by making them prove they didn't steal
    the software (Activation) will never stop the pirates who don't have to
    deal the activation or verification in the first place.

    You know the real funny thing about this and another example of how
    stupid companies like MS and Symantec and other activation advocates
    are, look how much money they poured into the development, maintenance
    and manning of the activation scheme to stop piracy of which pirates
    never ever see or have to contend with. I mean, these idiots are world
    class when it comes to brain farts.

    NIK

    ***Email Address is a Spam Trap***

    Alias wrote:

    > Couldn't have said it better myself.

    And so sayeth kurttail's little lap dog. Woof! woof! Now roll over and play
    dead.

    Q. Why does Alias keep licking kurtails's balls?

    A. Not only because he can, but also because he apparently likes to.

    > Alias
    >
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote

    --
    Re: Micro$oft OneCare:
    "When a company is run like the mafia why would you not expect them to

    NoStop wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Couldn't have said it better myself.
    >>

    > And so sayeth kurttail's little lap dog. Woof! woof! Now roll over
    > and play dead.
    >
    > Q. Why does Alias keep licking kurtails's balls?
    >
    > A. Not only because he can, but also because he apparently likes to.

    You sound jealous.

    Alias is nobody's lap dog, and we disagree over quite a few different
    things.

    Too bad you have no friends at all, and all you have left is trolling
    this NG.

    --

    kurttrail wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Couldn't have said it better myself.
    >>>

    >> And so sayeth kurttail's little lap dog. Woof! woof! Now roll over
    >> and play dead.
    >>
    >> Q. Why does Alias keep licking kurtails's balls?
    >>
    >> A. Not only because he can, but also because he apparently likes to.
    >
    > You sound jealous.
    >
    > Alias is nobody's lap dog, and we disagree over quite a few different
    > things.
    >
    > Too bad you have no friends at all, and all you have left is trolling
    > this NG.

    Don't lose any sleep there Kurty, I have plenty of friends. Real friends,
    not just lap dogs.

    In any case, speaking of trolls. You've got to be the biggest troll around
    this newsgroup. So I guess the old saying ... it takes one to know one ...
    holds true.

    --

    NoStop wrote:

    > kurttrail wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> And so sayeth kurttail's little lap dog. Woof! woof! Now roll over
    >>> and play dead.
    >>>
    >>> Q. Why does Alias keep licking kurtails's balls?
    >>>
    >>> A. Not only because he can, but also because he apparently likes to.
    >>
    >> You sound jealous.
    >>
    >> Alias is nobody's lap dog, and we disagree over quite a few different
    >> things.
    >>
    >> Too bad you have no friends at all, and all you have left is trolling
    >> this NG.
    >>
    > Don't lose any sleep there Kurty, I have plenty of friends. Real friends,
    > not just lap dogs.

    LOL! Your hand doesn't count NoBrains;

    > In any case, speaking of trolls. You've got to be the biggest troll around
    > this newsgroup. So I guess the old saying ... it takes one to know one ...
    > holds true.

    I do contibute here. All you do what? I have yet to see you offer
    technical assistence to anyone here with a on-topic reply.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computering" is only another example of an Oxymoron!

    health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >> No matter what type of copy protection scheme that has ever been
    >> devised, there was always a lot smarter pirate out there figuring how
    >> to get around it. These companies just have to face the facts that
    >> the pirates are a lot smarter than they are and that treating the
    >> honest paying customers like criminals by making them prove they
    >> didn't steal the software (Activation) will never stop the pirates
    >> who don't have to deal the activation or verification in the first
    >> place.
    >>
    >> You know the real funny thing about this and another example of how
    >> stupid companies like MS and Symantec and other activation advocates
    >> are, look how much money they poured into the development,
    >> maintenance and manning of the activation scheme to stop piracy of
    >> which pirates never ever see or have to contend with. I mean, these
    >> idiots are world class when it comes to brain farts.
    >>
    >> NIK
    >>
    >> ***Email Address is a Spam Trap***
    >>

    >> kurttrail wrote:
    >>> Like the pirates wouldn't get around that too! Please!
    >>>
    >>> Copy-protection:
    >>>
    >>> a.) Doesn't work.
    >>> b.) Ends up stopping more legitimate users than illegitimate by a
    >>> large margin.
    >>> c.) Adds to the cost of developing products so that the price of
    >>> the product doesn't decrease over time.
    >>> d.) The software piracy rate was much higher in 1994 before the PC
    >>> boom really got going than in 2000 when MS first introduced
    >>> copy-protection into the mainstream.
    >>> http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000002.php

    The activation schemes are not designed to stop dedicated pirates. They are
    designed to stop casual copying in the home or small office. Microsoft, for
    crying out loud, puts out a version of Windows - the corporate version -
    that doesn't require activation; essentially defacto handing Windows to the
    pirates and saying "Go to it". I explained the probable reasons for all
    this. It's not that they take moral issue with pirating; it's that they
    allow/disallow it according to how it will affect their profit. I think they
    should send an upright consistent message, their accountants think otherwise
    and currently they are going with their accountants. That could change. But,
    at this point, considering this, their talking all high holier-than-thou to
    the consumer is a bit hard to swallow.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Stephen wrote:
    > health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >>> No matter what type of copy protection scheme that has ever been
    >>> devised, there was always a lot smarter pirate out there figuring
    >>> how to get around it. These companies just have to face the facts
    >>> that the pirates are a lot smarter than they are and that treating
    >>> the honest paying customers like criminals by making them prove they
    >>> didn't steal the software (Activation) will never stop the pirates
    >>> who don't have to deal the activation or verification in the first
    >>> place.
    >>>
    >>> You know the real funny thing about this and another example of how
    >>> stupid companies like MS and Symantec and other activation advocates
    >>> are, look how much money they poured into the development,
    >>> maintenance and manning of the activation scheme to stop piracy of
    >>> which pirates never ever see or have to contend with. I mean, these
    >>> idiots are world class when it comes to brain farts.
    >>>
    >>> NIK
    >>>
    >>> ***Email Address is a Spam Trap***

    > The activation schemes are not designed to stop dedicated pirates.
    > They are designed to stop casual copying in the home or small office.
    > Microsoft, for crying out loud, puts out a version of Windows - the
    > corporate version - that doesn't require activation; essentially
    > defacto handing Windows to the pirates and saying "Go to it". I
    > explained the probable reasons for all this. It's not that they take
    > moral issue with pirating; it's that they allow/disallow it according
    > to how it will affect their profit. I think they should send an
    > upright consistent message, their accountants think otherwise and
    > currently they are going with their accountants. That could change.
    > But, at this point, considering this, their talking all high
    > holier-than-thou to the consumer is a bit hard to swallow.

    The reason VL has no PA is that MS bowed down to the pressure of their
    corporate clients. Period.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:
    >> Stephen wrote:

    >>> The activation schemes are not designed to stop dedicated pirates.
    >>> They are designed to stop casual copying in the home or small
    >>> office. Microsoft, for crying out loud, puts out a version of
    >>> Windows - the corporate version - that doesn't require activation;
    >>> essentially defacto handing Windows to the pirates and saying "Go
    >>> to it". I explained the probable reasons for all this. It's not
    >>> that they take moral issue with pirating; it's that they
    >>> allow/disallow it according to how it will affect their profit. I
    >>> think they should send an upright consistent message, their
    >>> accountants think otherwise and currently they are going with their
    >>> accountants. That could change. But, at this point, considering
    >>> this, their talking all high holier-than-thou to the consumer is a
    >>> bit hard to swallow.
    >>
    >> The reason VL has no PA is that MS bowed down to the pressure of
    >> their corporate clients. Period.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Right - there was profit in their releasing a version which could act as a
    mastercopy for pirating. If they didn't, some corps wouldn't have upgraded
    because of the difficulties inherent in the WPA process. But if Microsoft
    were steadfast against pirating, they'd have stuck to their guns ...

    .... And that's the rub, the problem with morality, eh? To have some it
    costs ya.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Stephen wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:

    >>> The reason VL has no PA is that MS bowed down to the pressure of
    >>> their corporate clients. Period.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peace!
    >>> Kurt
    >>> Self-anointed Moderator
    >>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
    >
    > Right - there was profit in their releasing a version which could act
    > as a mastercopy for pirating. If they didn't, some corps wouldn't
    > have upgraded because of the difficulties inherent in the WPA
    > process. But if Microsoft were steadfast against pirating, they'd
    > have stuck to their guns ...
    >
    > ... And that's the rub, the problem with morality, eh? To have
    > some it costs ya.

    PA is not about piracy, but about control. It cannot control it's
    corporate customers, without them getting in an Anti-Trust frensy. And
    they can afford to lobby the government to go after MS again.

    Small business, and individuals don't have that kind of power. PA is
    meant to control their behavior. Behavior modification through
    technology. And only MS's non-corporate paying customers are a part of
    the experiment of mass behavior modification.

    You accept PA, you accept the FACT that you are MS's lab rat! Go push
    the lever that gives you a pellet of food! Good Rat!

    The Piracy Rate was declining long before MS introduced PA into
    mainstream software. If anything Since the introduction of PA, the
    Piracy Rate's decline has leveled off since its introduction.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:
    >> Stephen wrote:

    >>> Right - there was profit in their releasing a version which could
    >>> act as a mastercopy for pirating. If they didn't, some corps
    >>> wouldn't have upgraded because of the difficulties inherent in the
    >>> WPA process. But if Microsoft were steadfast against pirating,
    >>> they'd have stuck to their guns ...
    >>>
    >>> ... And that's the rub, the problem with morality, eh? To have
    >>> some it costs ya.
    >>
    >> PA is not about piracy, but about control. It cannot control it's
    >> corporate customers, without them getting in an Anti-Trust frensy.
    >> And they can afford to lobby the government to go after MS again.
    >>
    >> Small business, and individuals don't have that kind of power. PA is
    >> meant to control their behavior. Behavior modification through
    >> technology. And only MS's non-corporate paying customers are a part
    >> of the experiment of mass behavior modification.
    >>
    >> You accept PA, you accept the FACT that you are MS's lab rat! Go
    >> push the lever that gives you a pellet of food! Good Rat!
    >>
    >> The Piracy Rate was declining long before MS introduced PA into
    >> mainstream software. If anything Since the introduction of PA, the
    >> Piracy Rate's decline has leveled off since its introduction.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    And I thought I was cynical! LOL I've been reduced to a lab rat.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Stephen wrote:

    > And I thought I was cynical! LOL I've been reduced to a lab rat.

    Yes, I am cynical. And if you read between MS's lines you may be able
    to see that the true motivation behind PA is behavior modification of
    its paying customers.

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:02:04 -0400, "Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam>
    wrote:

    >I've been reduced to a lab rat.

    We use to (and still do) call it people unknowingly paying MS to be
    beta testers for their OS's. IOW, why waste time, money and resources
    getting it right before distributing it if you can get everyone to pay
    for it 'as is' and report the problems to you later.

    Now, add onto that, that you have to prove that you didn't steal the
    software that you just shelled out hard earned bucks for before you
    can unknowingly be a beta tester. Remember, Pirates (the ones that
    don't have to deal with activation and verification) don't send in
    problem complaints.

    Regards,
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:

    > Bob I wrote:
    >
    >>Perhaps you would prefer MS instituted hardware keys (dongles)?
    >

    > Like the pirates wouldn't get around that too! Please!

    The first computer company I worked for the boss used to copy IBM-PC
    BIOS chips and burn the code to EPROM BIOS chips for use in some of his
    PC clones. There's a way around anything, especially concerning digital
    technology.

    Steve

    > Copy-protection:
    >
    > a.) Doesn't work.
    > b.) Ends up stopping more legitimate users than illegitimate by a large
    > margin.
    > c.) Adds to the cost of developing products so that the price of the
    > product doesn't decrease over time.
    > d.) The software piracy rate was much higher in 1994 before the PC boom
    > really got going than in 2000 when MS first introduced copy-protection
    > into the mainstream.
    > http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000002.php
    >

    >>Alias wrote:
    >>

    >>>Gosh, what a wonderful way to ruin an afternoon, messing around with
    >>>activation.
    >>>
    >>>Activation does not stop piracy. It only inconveniences PAYING
    >>>CUSTOMERS! Alias

Msdn Microsoft Windows XP