Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to PvP?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all over
the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO have
a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
along...

what's the secret?

Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?

Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?

More about : pvp

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 9:20:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Alergic Alchemist wrote in message
<418217a3$0$3035$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>...
>I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
>However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
over
>the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
>unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
>Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
have
>a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
>even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
>drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
>along...
>
>what's the secret?
>
>Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
>
>Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
>
>

here's the down-low on pvping:

choose a template that works well with pvp, the easiest and most effective
at getting to what you want, ie. killing the other person.

you're gonna hear a lot of people say choose a template that's best for you.
that's true in a sense, but mostly B.S. since you're inexperienced with pvp
overall you wouldn't know what you're comfortable with. imo, make a
parry-mage pvper, they seem to be the most effective and well rounded to
handle most types of situations.

parry template might be:

parry
magery
eval int
healing
anatomy
meditation
resist

certain people have certain strategies to pvping, each person has a
clutch(like different people have different spell combo's to do the most
damage more effectively, and others have other combo's to try and counter
that), I would suggest watching a few pvp battles to pick up on the tips and
tricks and if you're still stuck, ask people on your server or people here.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 9:26:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
> However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all over
> the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
> unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
> Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO have
> a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
> even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
> drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
> along...
>
> what's the secret?

Exploits mostly. Illegal 3rd party programs that do auto targetting are
and other mischief like auto looting are still around. That is one of
the reasons OSI keeps changing the data stream/why you need to patch to
connect.
>
> Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?

Don't know what your stats/skills are. 85% of the time PvP in UO means
you prepare your character then use exploits. If you are still at 225
total stat points, you are not prepared. More or less, if you don't have
DSL you are not prepared against anyone who is on DSL.

I would suggest trying one of the test shards like TC1 LS and setting
your character up there with good equipment and skills. You stand the
best chance of finding someone new to PvP there too which should help.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 4:15:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"Gen Leung" <cocky@booby.mama> wrote in message
news:bZugd.30$o52.3@trndny03...
>
> Alergic Alchemist wrote in message
> <418217a3$0$3035$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>...
>>I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very
>>happily.
>>However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
> over
>>the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel,
>>or
>>unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
>>Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
> have
>>a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac,
>>but
>>even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
>>drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
>>along...
>>
>>what's the secret?
>>
>>Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
>>
>>Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
>>
>>
>
> here's the down-low on pvping:
>
> choose a template that works well with pvp, the easiest and most effective
> at getting to what you want, ie. killing the other person.
>
> you're gonna hear a lot of people say choose a template that's best for
> you.
> that's true in a sense, but mostly B.S. since you're inexperienced with
> pvp
> overall you wouldn't know what you're comfortable with. imo, make a
> parry-mage pvper, they seem to be the most effective and well rounded to
> handle most types of situations.
>
> parry template might be:
>
> parry
> magery
> eval int
> healing
> anatomy
> meditation
> resist
>
> certain people have certain strategies to pvping, each person has a
> clutch(like different people have different spell combo's to do the most
> damage more effectively, and others have other combo's to try and counter
> that), I would suggest watching a few pvp battles to pick up on the tips
> and
> tricks and if you're still stuck, ask people on your server or people
> here.
>
Thanks! I'll give that a try on test (*prepares for many bruises and
funerals*)
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 4:16:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D 3vgd.5829$kM.4668@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Alergic Alchemist wrote:
>
>> I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very
>> happily.
>> However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
>> over the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to
>> Fel, or unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
>> Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
>> have a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a
>> maniac, but even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less
>> than a minute drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random
>> red that comes along...
>>
>> what's the secret?
>
> Exploits mostly. Illegal 3rd party programs that do auto targetting are
> and other mischief like auto looting are still around. That is one of the
> reasons OSI keeps changing the data stream/why you need to patch to
> connect.
>>
>> Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
>
> Don't know what your stats/skills are. 85% of the time PvP in UO means you
> prepare your character then use exploits. If you are still at 225 total
> stat points, you are not prepared. More or less, if you don't have DSL you
> are not prepared against anyone who is on DSL.
>
> I would suggest trying one of the test shards like TC1 LS and setting your
> character up there with good equipment and skills. You stand the best
> chance of finding someone new to PvP there too which should help.
That's kind of depressing... but I see your point. Oh well, off to test to
become yet another honest dead guy...
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 1:48:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
> However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all over
> the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
> unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
> Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO have
> a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
> even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
> drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
> along...
>
> what's the secret?
>
> Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
>
> Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
>
>

I know of an account for sale on Atlantic that is a major PvPer.
If you can get into their guild you'l learn everything. They have no
in game morals, but I don't *think* they use exploits.

--
YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are
a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:46:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
news:p G8hd.55942$%x.3712@okepread04...
> Alergic Alchemist wrote:
>
>> I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very
>> happily.
>> However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
>> over the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to
>> Fel, or unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
>> Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
>> have a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a
>> maniac, but even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less
>> than a minute drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random
>> red that comes along...
>>
>> what's the secret?
>>
>> Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
>>
>> Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
>>
>>
>
> I know of an account for sale on Atlantic that is a major PvPer. If
> you can get into their guild you'l learn everything. They have no in game
> morals, but I don't *think* they use exploits.
>
Thanks, but the lag I get on Atlantic's so bad, I would HAVE to use exploits
just to run away!
I've been experimenting on test (which is also laggy...) - died several
hundred times, but haven't killed anyone yet! Still, hit something often
enough in the same place, it'll fall down...
Once I've found a template that works for me, I'll start building it on one
of the shards that don't make me feel like I'm knee-deep in wet cement! :) 

Currently trying this (this is without jewelry, artis, etc - I usually add
the best resists I can find, and I won't have all those glow-in-the-dark
goodies on my usual shard!):

Chiv 120 (also tried swapping this for necro and magery)
Fencing 120
Tactics 100
Parry 100
Med 100
Focus 60
Resist 100

Dex 70
Str 80
Int 75

and generally getting slaughtered... I came close to killing someone a
couple of times, but then his mates showed up...

I also tried a tamer long enough to get a white wyrm, bonded him, trained
him up against a nightmare, only to see him go 'splat' against the first
PvPer I sicced 'im on. Mostly because, again, another 5 guys appeared out
of nowhere...

On the plus side, I hear 'OooOoooOoooo' is rising in the charts...
!