How to PvP?

I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all over
the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO have
a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
along...

what's the secret?

Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?

Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Alergic Alchemist wrote in message
    <418217a3$0$3035$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>...
    >I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
    >However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
    over
    >the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
    >unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
    >Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
    have
    >a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
    >even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
    >drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
    >along...
    >
    >what's the secret?
    >
    >Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
    >
    >Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?

    here's the down-low on pvping:

    choose a template that works well with pvp, the easiest and most effective
    at getting to what you want, ie. killing the other person.

    you're gonna hear a lot of people say choose a template that's best for you.
    that's true in a sense, but mostly B.S. since you're inexperienced with pvp
    overall you wouldn't know what you're comfortable with. imo, make a
    parry-mage pvper, they seem to be the most effective and well rounded to
    handle most types of situations.

    parry template might be:

    parry
    magery
    eval int
    healing
    anatomy
    meditation
    resist

    certain people have certain strategies to pvping, each person has a
    clutch(like different people have different spell combo's to do the most
    damage more effectively, and others have other combo's to try and counter
    that), I would suggest watching a few pvp battles to pick up on the tips and
    tricks and if you're still stuck, ask people on your server or people here.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Alergic Alchemist wrote:

    > I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
    > However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all over
    > the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
    > unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
    > Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO have
    > a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
    > even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
    > drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
    > along...
    >
    > what's the secret?

    Exploits mostly. Illegal 3rd party programs that do auto targetting are
    and other mischief like auto looting are still around. That is one of
    the reasons OSI keeps changing the data stream/why you need to patch to
    connect.

    > Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?

    Don't know what your stats/skills are. 85% of the time PvP in UO means
    you prepare your character then use exploits. If you are still at 225
    total stat points, you are not prepared. More or less, if you don't have
    DSL you are not prepared against anyone who is on DSL.

    I would suggest trying one of the test shards like TC1 LS and setting
    your character up there with good equipment and skills. You stand the
    best chance of finding someone new to PvP there too which should help.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Gen Leung" <cocky@booby.mama> wrote in message

    > Alergic Alchemist wrote in message
    > <418217a3$0$3035$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>...
    >>I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very
    >>happily.
    >>However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
    > over
    >>the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel,
    >>or
    >>unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
    >>Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
    > have
    >>a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac,
    >>but
    >>even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
    >>drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
    >>along...
    >>
    >>what's the secret?
    >>
    >>Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
    >>
    >>Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
    >>

    > here's the down-low on pvping:
    >
    > choose a template that works well with pvp, the easiest and most effective
    > at getting to what you want, ie. killing the other person.
    >
    > you're gonna hear a lot of people say choose a template that's best for
    > you.
    > that's true in a sense, but mostly B.S. since you're inexperienced with
    > pvp
    > overall you wouldn't know what you're comfortable with. imo, make a
    > parry-mage pvper, they seem to be the most effective and well rounded to
    > handle most types of situations.
    >
    > parry template might be:
    >
    > parry
    > magery
    > eval int
    > healing
    > anatomy
    > meditation
    > resist
    >
    > certain people have certain strategies to pvping, each person has a
    > clutch(like different people have different spell combo's to do the most
    > damage more effectively, and others have other combo's to try and counter
    > that), I would suggest watching a few pvp battles to pick up on the tips
    > and
    > tricks and if you're still stuck, ask people on your server or people
    > here.

    Thanks! I'll give that a try on test (*prepares for many bruises and
    funerals*)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Alergic Alchemist wrote:
    >
    >> I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very
    >> happily.
    >> However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
    >> over the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to
    >> Fel, or unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
    >> Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
    >> have a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a
    >> maniac, but even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less
    >> than a minute drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random
    >> red that comes along...
    >>
    >> what's the secret?
    >
    > Exploits mostly. Illegal 3rd party programs that do auto targetting are
    > and other mischief like auto looting are still around. That is one of the
    > reasons OSI keeps changing the data stream/why you need to patch to
    > connect.
    >>
    >> Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
    >
    > Don't know what your stats/skills are. 85% of the time PvP in UO means you
    > prepare your character then use exploits. If you are still at 225 total
    > stat points, you are not prepared. More or less, if you don't have DSL you
    > are not prepared against anyone who is on DSL.
    >
    > I would suggest trying one of the test shards like TC1 LS and setting your
    > character up there with good equipment and skills. You stand the best
    > chance of finding someone new to PvP there too which should help.
    That's kind of depressing... but I see your point. Oh well, off to test to
    become yet another honest dead guy...
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Alergic Alchemist wrote:

    > I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very happily.
    > However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all over
    > the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to Fel, or
    > unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
    > Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO have
    > a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a maniac, but
    > even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less than a minute
    > drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random red that comes
    > along...
    >
    > what's the secret?
    >
    > Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
    >
    > Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?

    I know of an account for sale on Atlantic that is a major PvPer.
    If you can get into their guild you'l learn everything. They have no
    in game morals, but I don't *think* they use exploits.

    --
    YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are
    a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate

    "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
    > Alergic Alchemist wrote:
    >
    >> I've spent 99% of my UO time either crafting, or PvM'ing, all very
    >> happily.
    >> However, even with my best monster-bashing characters, I get kicked all
    >> over the shard by any PvPers I come across if I'm stupid enough to go to
    >> Fel, or unlucky enough to meet one on Siege.
    >> Granted, that's comparing a human brain to a basic monster AI, and I DO
    >> have a mild case of arthritis that keeps me from hitting keys like a
    >> maniac, but even so - watching someone who can solo a balron in a less
    >> than a minute drop like a sack of potatos against just about any random
    >> red that comes along...
    >>
    >> what's the secret?
    >>
    >> Are PvM character designs really THAT different to PvP ones?
    >>
    >> Any advice for creating a pure PvP character template from scratch?
    >>

    > I know of an account for sale on Atlantic that is a major PvPer. If
    > you can get into their guild you'l learn everything. They have no in game
    > morals, but I don't *think* they use exploits.

    Thanks, but the lag I get on Atlantic's so bad, I would HAVE to use exploits
    just to run away!
    I've been experimenting on test (which is also laggy...) - died several
    hundred times, but haven't killed anyone yet! Still, hit something often
    enough in the same place, it'll fall down...
    Once I've found a template that works for me, I'll start building it on one
    of the shards that don't make me feel like I'm knee-deep in wet cement! :)

    Currently trying this (this is without jewelry, artis, etc - I usually add
    the best resists I can find, and I won't have all those glow-in-the-dark
    goodies on my usual shard!):

    Chiv 120 (also tried swapping this for necro and magery)
    Fencing 120
    Tactics 100
    Parry 100
    Med 100
    Focus 60
    Resist 100

    Dex 70
    Str 80
    Int 75

    and generally getting slaughtered... I came close to killing someone a
    couple of times, but then his mates showed up...

    I also tried a tamer long enough to get a white wyrm, bonded him, trained
    him up against a nightmare, only to see him go 'splat' against the first
    PvPer I sicced 'im on. Mostly because, again, another 5 guys appeared out
    of nowhere...

    On the plus side, I hear 'OooOoooOoooo' is rising in the charts...

Video Games