Large memory hog in XP Pro

We have devloped a large 3D model using mostly solids in AutoCAD, and we are
having
difficulty plotting the entire file. It plots fine without hiding lines,
but when we hide the lines, after about 60%, AutoCAD closes without warning
and the plot is not completed.

Sometimes, we get a memory error in AutoCAD zooming across the command line
before it disappears, other times we get an alert dialog box before AutoCAD
closes.

We have tried plotting to a file, directly to an HP plotter and to a PDF
with no success.

The AutoCAD file is about 45 MEG and it has a 50 MEG Xref attached.

We are running a new Dell P4 with 4 GIG of RAM and over 120 GIG available on
the hard drive. It is running AutoCAD 2005 on Windows XP professional. I
believe the video card has 128 MEG of RAM.

We have tried setting the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file, but see no
difference in performance.

1. Is there a way to verify that the /3GB switch did anything?
2. Is this a limitation of AutoCAD? I don't think it is our model. It
AUDITs fine, and this problem can be duplicated by arraying a bunch of
solid cylinders....
3. Is this a limitation of Windows?
4. Is this a limitation of hardware?
5. Is there a way to start Windows with AutoCAD exclusivly using the memory
etc?
6. What can we do to get a complete plot?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
2 answers Last reply
More about large memory

    How have you set virtual memory (swap/page file)? Is it set
    to Windows managed or to at least a GB?

    some support

    "Eric" <eric@ese-cad.com> wrote in message
    | We have devloped a large 3D model using mostly solids in
    AutoCAD, and we are
    | having
    | difficulty plotting the entire file. It plots fine
    without hiding lines,
    | but when we hide the lines, after about 60%, AutoCAD
    closes without warning
    | and the plot is not completed.
    |
    | Sometimes, we get a memory error in AutoCAD zooming across
    the command line
    | before it disappears, other times we get an alert dialog
    box before AutoCAD
    | closes.
    |
    | We have tried plotting to a file, directly to an HP
    plotter and to a PDF
    | with no success.
    |
    | The AutoCAD file is about 45 MEG and it has a 50 MEG Xref
    attached.

    | We are running a new Dell P4 with 4 GIG of RAM and over
    120 GIG available on
    | the hard drive. It is running AutoCAD 2005 on Windows XP
    professional. I
    | believe the video card has 128 MEG of RAM.
    |
    | We have tried setting the /3GB switch in the boot.ini
    file, but see no
    | difference in performance.
    |
    | 1. Is there a way to verify that the /3GB switch did
    anything?
    | 2. Is this a limitation of AutoCAD? I don't think it is
    our model. It
    | AUDITs fine, and this problem can be duplicated by
    arraying a bunch of
    | solid cylinders....
    | 3. Is this a limitation of Windows?
    | 4. Is this a limitation of hardware?
    | 5. Is there a way to start Windows with AutoCAD exclusivly
    using the memory
    | etc?
    | 6. What can we do to get a complete plot?
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    | Eric

    it is set at 4 GIG...

    Thanks,
    Eric

    > How have you set virtual memory (swap/page file)? Is it set
    > to Windows managed or to at least a GB?

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Eric" <eric@ese-cad.com> wrote in message
    > | We have devloped a large 3D model using mostly solids in
    > AutoCAD, and we are
    > | having
    > | difficulty plotting the entire file. It plots fine
    > without hiding lines,
    > | but when we hide the lines, after about 60%, AutoCAD
    > closes without warning
    > | and the plot is not completed.
    > |
    > | Sometimes, we get a memory error in AutoCAD zooming across
    > the command line
    > | before it disappears, other times we get an alert dialog
    > box before AutoCAD
    > | closes.
    > |
    > | We have tried plotting to a file, directly to an HP
    > plotter and to a PDF
    > | with no success.
    > |
    > | The AutoCAD file is about 45 MEG and it has a 50 MEG Xref
    > attached.
    > |
    > | We are running a new Dell P4 with 4 GIG of RAM and over
    > 120 GIG available on
    > | the hard drive. It is running AutoCAD 2005 on Windows XP
    > professional. I
    > | believe the video card has 128 MEG of RAM.
    > |
    > | We have tried setting the /3GB switch in the boot.ini
    > file, but see no
    > | difference in performance.
    > |
    > | 1. Is there a way to verify that the /3GB switch did
    > anything?
    > | 2. Is this a limitation of AutoCAD? I don't think it is
    > our model. It
    > | AUDITs fine, and this problem can be duplicated by
    > arraying a bunch of
    > | solid cylinders....
    > | 3. Is this a limitation of Windows?
    > | 4. Is this a limitation of hardware?
    > | 5. Is there a way to start Windows with AutoCAD exclusivly
    > using the memory
    > | etc?
    > | 6. What can we do to get a complete plot?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance,
    > | Eric

CAD Windows XP