Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - desperate

I am at my wits end trying to use the files and settings transfer wizard on
my new Dell. Any further dealing with Dell support staff (sic) is likely to
send me over the edge.

There are a few posts on the forum that are similar in nature to my problem,
but none exactly match it. I have also read the FAST user guide at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Anyway, here’s the problem. I have a brand new Dell running Windows XP. I
want to transfer the files and settings from my old computer to the new one
using the F&ST wizard. Dell do not supply the Windows CD, so I need to use
the option to create a Wizard disk.

The trouble is, when I get to the window entitled Do you have a Windows XP
CD? the option “I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive� is
not available to me. By this I mean that it is “snowed out� – I can read it
but not click on it.

The new Dell does not have a floppy drive, but does have a CD drive. I
would assume that I should be able to create a Wizard Disk in the CD drive.

Any help most gratefully received.
6 answers Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard desperate

    New Dells should have a Program in the Dell or Dell Support group
    that allows you to "Burn" a Windows XP OEM Disk. Check the
    All Programs listing and see if you can find the program to create the
    disk. Once you have that, you can use the disk on your existing PC
    to run the FAST Wizard to capture your setup.

    "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am at my wits end trying to use the files and settings transfer wizard on
    > my new Dell. Any further dealing with Dell support staff (sic) is likely
    > send me over the edge.
    >
    > There are a few posts on the forum that are similar in nature to my
    > problem,
    > but none exactly match it. I have also read the FAST user guide at
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Anyway, here's the problem. I have a brand new Dell running Windows XP.
    > want to transfer the files and settings from my old computer to the new
    > one
    > using the F&ST wizard. Dell do not supply the Windows CD, so I need to
    > use
    > the option to create a Wizard disk.
    >
    > The trouble is, when I get to the window entitled Do you have a Windows XP
    > CD? the option "I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive" is
    > not available to me. By this I mean that it is "snowed out" - I can read
    > it
    > but not click on it.
    >
    > The new Dell does not have a floppy drive, but does have a CD drive. I
    > would assume that I should be able to create a Wizard Disk in the CD
    > drive.
    >
    > Any help most gratefully received.

    "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am at my wits end trying to use the files and settings transfer wizard on
    >my new Dell. Any further dealing with Dell support staff (sic) is likely to
    >send me over the edge.
    >
    >There are a few posts on the forum that are similar in nature to my problem,
    >but none exactly match it. I have also read the FAST user guide at
    >http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    >Anyway, here’s the problem. I have a brand new Dell running Windows XP. I
    >want to transfer the files and settings from my old computer to the new one
    >using the F&ST wizard. Dell do not supply the Windows CD, so I need to use
    >the option to create a Wizard disk.
    >
    >The trouble is, when I get to the window entitled Do you have a Windows XP
    >CD? the option “I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive” is
    >not available to me. By this I mean that it is “snowed out” – I can read it
    >but not click on it.
    >
    >The new Dell does not have a floppy drive, but does have a CD drive. I
    >would assume that I should be able to create a Wizard Disk in the CD drive.
    >
    >Any help most gratefully received.

    The two files that are on the Wizard disk are:
    FASTWIZ.EXE and MIGWIZ.CAB

    Fastwiz.exe appears to be a renamed copy of the migload.exe file from
    the \windows\system32\usmt folder. A file comparison reports no
    differences between them.

    MIGWIZ.CAB is a compressed file that contains all of the contents of
    the \windows\system32\usmt folder except for migwiz.exe and
    migload.exe

    You should be able to manually create the files onto a CD and then run
    it, but I have never tried this.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Just a thought, but might be possible to set up a virtual floppy drive.
    Whether it would be recognised or not I don't know

    http://tinyurl.com/bzj6e

    Jon

    "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am at my wits end trying to use the files and settings transfer wizard on
    > my new Dell. Any further dealing with Dell support staff (sic) is likely
    > send me over the edge.
    >
    > There are a few posts on the forum that are similar in nature to my
    > problem,
    > but none exactly match it. I have also read the FAST user guide at
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Anyway, here's the problem. I have a brand new Dell running Windows XP.
    > want to transfer the files and settings from my old computer to the new
    > one
    > using the F&ST wizard. Dell do not supply the Windows CD, so I need to
    > use
    > the option to create a Wizard disk.
    >
    > The trouble is, when I get to the window entitled Do you have a Windows XP
    > CD? the option "I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive" is
    > not available to me. By this I mean that it is "snowed out" - I can read
    > it
    > but not click on it.
    >
    > The new Dell does not have a floppy drive, but does have a CD drive. I
    > would assume that I should be able to create a Wizard Disk in the CD
    > drive.
    >
    > Any help most gratefully received.

    "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am at my wits end trying to use the files and settings transfer wizard on
    >my new Dell. Any further dealing with Dell support staff (sic) is likely to
    >send me over the edge.
    >
    >There are a few posts on the forum that are similar in nature to my problem,
    >but none exactly match it. I have also read the FAST user guide at
    >http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    >Anyway, here’s the problem. I have a brand new Dell running Windows XP. I
    >want to transfer the files and settings from my old computer to the new one
    >using the F&ST wizard. Dell do not supply the Windows CD, so I need to use
    >the option to create a Wizard disk.
    >
    >The trouble is, when I get to the window entitled Do you have a Windows XP
    >CD? the option “I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive” is
    >not available to me. By this I mean that it is “snowed out” – I can read it
    >but not click on it.
    >
    >The new Dell does not have a floppy drive, but does have a CD drive. I
    >would assume that I should be able to create a Wizard Disk in the CD drive.
    >
    >Any help most gratefully received.

    Another option that should work is to use a USB memory stick. FASTW
    will recognize and create a wizard disk on these, but you will need to
    have the Windows drivers for the memory stick installed on the old
    machine if it is running Windows 98 or Windows 98 SE. Windows Me will
    recognize the USB devices without requiring additional drivers and
    Windows 95 will not work with USB devices.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Many thanks for the help.

    In case anyone else is as bad with computers as I am and ever has similar
    problems...

    a. I did not realise that the OS Disk that you can create on the new
    computer is, in effect, a Windows XP disk. (I thought that it was some kind
    of backup disk). So I did not need to create a Wizard Disk. (Thanks R.
    McCarty)

    b. After posting, I finally reached someone at Dell who understood what I
    was talking about, and who knew what FAST is. He said that Windows will only
    create a FAST Wizard disk on a floppy disk, not a CD. This is why the option
    of "I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive" is not available
    on my computer - it does not have a floppy drive.

    If he is right (and given my experience with Dell support, I rate the chance
    of that as about 50/50) a lot of my confusion would have been spared by some
    reference to this fact in the Microsoft guidance (copied below). In
    particular, at Step 5 in the Microsoft guidance it would be helpful if it
    stated that only floppy disks are supported. When I read: " In the drive
    list, click the drive that you want. **For example**, 3-1/2 Floppy (A:), and
    then click Next....6. Insert a blank formatted disk into the drive,"...I
    assumed that because the D drive was the drive that I wanted, I could (a la
    6), put a blank formatted disk in that drive and make a Wizard disk.

    Have not had a chance to try it yet, but am reasonably hopeful.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306187#3

    Create a Wizard Disk
    To create a Wizard Disk by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard,
    follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to
    Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings
    Transfer Wizard.
    2. On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click
    Next.
    3. On the Which computer is this screen, click Next.
    4. On the Do you have a Windows XP CD screen, click I want to create a
    Wizard Disk in the following drive.
    5. In the drive list, click the drive that you want. For example, 3-1/2
    Floppy (A:), and then click Next.
    6. Insert a blank formatted disk into the drive, and then click OK to create
    the Wizard Disk.
    7. Remove the Wizard Disk, and then click Cancel.

    "Alan" wrote:

    > I am at my wits end trying to use the files and settings transfer wizard on
    > my new Dell. Any further dealing with Dell support staff (sic) is likely to
    > send me over the edge.
    >
    > There are a few posts on the forum that are similar in nature to my problem,
    > but none exactly match it. I have also read the FAST user guide at
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Anyway, here’s the problem. I have a brand new Dell running Windows XP. I
    > want to transfer the files and settings from my old computer to the new one
    > using the F&ST wizard. Dell do not supply the Windows CD, so I need to use
    > the option to create a Wizard disk.
    >
    > The trouble is, when I get to the window entitled Do you have a Windows XP
    > CD? the option “I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive� is
    > not available to me. By this I mean that it is “snowed out� – I can read it
    > but not click on it.
    >
    > The new Dell does not have a floppy drive, but does have a CD drive. I
    > would assume that I should be able to create a Wizard Disk in the CD drive.
    >
    > Any help most gratefully received.

    "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    >b. After posting, I finally reached someone at Dell who understood what I
    >was talking about, and who knew what FAST is. He said that Windows will only
    >create a FAST Wizard disk on a floppy disk, not a CD.

    That support rep was not quite right.

    You can also create a FAST Wizard Disk on a USB memory stick.

    Tiger Direct currently lists a 16 mb one for $7.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1204269

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP