Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hello, I'll start from the beginning...

1700+ Tbred B
MSI 745 Ultra
512MB Ram
GF4 Ti4200
WD 80GB SE (8MB Cache)

(NEVER any stability problems in the past)

Well, yesterday I was surfing the web as normal, and suddenly everything slowed down. IE took ages to open, and there was major lag between clicking on a link and actually loading a webpage. I later verified this wasnt my internet connection. At first I thought it could have been spyware or a virus, so I succesffully ran a virus check (came back clean) but when I went to do an adaware check it simply froze and if I pressed ctrl-alt-del, the same slow down occurred. After that I decided to start up in safe mode, to see if I could do a virus check then. It was here that i got a blue screen error message, something along the lines of 'hardware error oooooe167 (<--something in hex), windows will now shut down', which it did after 5 seconds. From then on if I went to boot the same message occurred.

I decided to format my main partition. The first problem was a delay in the format. Usually the disk begins to format immediately, but this time it just sat there for about 10 mins before finally formatting, but quite slowly. After this I got an error copying ANY of the files fom the win2k CD, so I restarted and this time it worked. Finally when I got into windows everything seemed alright until I tried to install my SiS drivers, which resulted in the same slow down as before (I must emphasize this beng a completely clean install, with the sis drivers being the first things I tried to install). After this I rebooted only to find that the computer just stopped after the 'Preparing your network settings' message, and would never get any further.

Next I tried a different hard disk (40GB Seagate 5400RPM) which worked perfectly without ANY problems. from here I was able to connect up my WD and extract all my data successfully from my other partitions (allthough slowly).

Here I decided it was time to completely wipe my drive, and start again, formatting the entire 80GB's. This time the format just didnt work. After the drive sat there doing nothing at 0% for an hour I finally turned off the comp.

Next I took the HDD up to my other comp (P3 750) and had exactly the same problem!!

Now, after reading this, can anyone tell me whether or not they think my drive is at fault? If it is I will immediately RMA it but I do ealise this doesnt seem like a 'definite' failure, and perhaps might not be excepted for an RMA, I just want to make sure its nothing silly before I try.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
From My perspective it sounds like a hard drive problem.

The best thing to do would be to go to the Western Digital site and download their Hard Drive checking utility. It will scan the drive, look into the little error log thing it keeps and let you know what's what.

I've NEVER had it say a drive was good when it was bad. (Although there could always be a first.)

In any case when you RMA it, unless they have changed their practices, they will ask for the results of that Utility anyway.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hi, I did try the program and it reported no problem. So, this time I decided to leave it formating over night. And guess what... it worked! Now it all works fine. I guess there must have been some sort of serious problem with the filesystem that could only be resolved by a long format. But im happy now, no more hours of waiting for the 5400RPM drove to load games. Thanks :smile:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
With that sort of problem it would have been worth performing a low level format of the entire drive to make sure there are no dodgy sectors. Hopefully your problem will not reoccur.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Yeah I know what you mean. Perhaps windows did its own kind of LLF, and thats why it took so long? But atleast its all working now.