Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 ISO MK II Worth The Coin????

Last response: in Home Audio
July 28, 2004 4:01:05 AM

Hi All: I got the upgrade bug recently & I just purchased a pair of
NHT ST4's. I'm really enjoying them for the type of music I listen to.
Also, I purchased new speaker cables (Audioquest Type 6 Bi-Wire) & 3
AQ Diamondback interconnects.

Anyway, I'm not using anything @ the moment for line conditioning.
Don't laugh...but I'm using a $50.00 APC surge protector. Do you think
the Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 ISO MK II will make a difference? IS it
worth the $700.00 price tag?

I know many of you a true audiophiles (unlike myself) but I have
expensive wine tastes, but a beer budget. Here's a quick breakdown of
my equipment.

NAD C270 Amps x2 Bi-Amping
Rogue Audio 66 Magnum Tube Pre-Amp
NAD C540 CD Player
Music Hall MMF5 TT
NAD PP-2 Phono Stage
NHT ST4's

Any & all insight would be appreciated!

Regards,

Alex
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:23:20 AM

One of their smaller units will work nicely if you don't have the
current capacity with your other unit. I have had the original 9600
for many years of continuous use and have had a few big amps connected
and some demanding speakers with never a hitch. I have heard the
protection click in only once or twice since it has been in service
(due to a surge from a nearby lightning strike) and the connected gear
was unaffected. I have a Bryston power amp, preamp and a TV plugged
into it now. I don't hear a bit of difference using the unit Vs
plugging the amps straight into the 20A wall outlet, so I'd say they
get top honors for build, protection and sound. Is it worth $700? That
is up to you, I don't think they were nearly as much when I bought
mine. You could use a 6300 with your system as the 9600 really has way
more current capacity than you will ever draw.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Alex Moore" <AMooreonline@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi All: I got the upgrade bug recently & I just purchased a pair of
> NHT ST4's. I'm really enjoying them for the type of music I listen
to.
> Also, I purchased new speaker cables (Audioquest Type 6 Bi-Wire) & 3
> AQ Diamondback interconnects.
>
> Anyway, I'm not using anything @ the moment for line conditioning.
> Don't laugh...but I'm using a $50.00 APC surge protector. Do you
think
> the Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 ISO MK II will make a difference? IS
it
> worth the $700.00 price tag?
>
> I know many of you a true audiophiles (unlike myself) but I have
> expensive wine tastes, but a beer budget. Here's a quick breakdown
of
> my equipment.
>
> NAD C270 Amps x2 Bi-Amping
> Rogue Audio 66 Magnum Tube Pre-Amp
> NAD C540 CD Player
> Music Hall MMF5 TT
> NAD PP-2 Phono Stage
> NHT ST4's
>
> Any & all insight would be appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:24:34 AM

On 7/27/04 8:01 PM, in article ce6qc108kl@news4.newsguy.com, "Alex Moore"
<AMooreonline@juno.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I'm not using anything @ the moment for line conditioning.
> Don't laugh...but I'm using a $50.00 APC surge protector. Do you think
> the Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 ISO MK II will make a difference? IS it
> worth the $700.00 price tag?
>
> I know many of you a true audiophiles (unlike myself) but I have
> expensive wine tastes, but a beer budget. Here's a quick breakdown of
> my equipment.

The $50 surge protector ought to do you well - it is not worth the price tag
IMHO.

And don't sell yourself short. If you can tell a bad recording (say, some
Early Elvis Costello on CD) from a good one (say _Slow Down_ by Keb' Mo) but
can manage to enjoy both, but appreciate the realism of the latter, you are
a qualified Audiophile!
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 3:40:16 AM

On 28 Jul 2004 00:01:05 GMT, AMooreonline@juno.com (Alex Moore) wrote:

>the Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 ISO MK II will make a difference? IS it

Cross shop the Brick Wall units here: http://www.pricewheeler.com/

Specifically the modular version of the PWRM20AUD ($450). 20 amp, 10 isolated
receptacles. For the audiophile, isolated receptacles (preventing the
"cross-talk" between digital and analog components). Rackmount or modular
options. This unit is designed to work with 20 amp applications. A 20 amp line
and outlet is required for this unit to be used.

I find that Brick Wall has better price/performance than Chang, YMMV.
!